emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* ox-texinfo: non-numbered links to numbered sections
@ 2016-04-08 10:07 Jonas Bernoulli
From: Jonas Bernoulli @ 2016-04-08 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Currently "#+OPTIONS: num:N" not only affects whether sections are
numbered, it also controls whether links to numbered sections look
like

  See *note 5.2.3: Section hooks.

or

  See *note Section hooks: Section hooks.

in the info file.  Here the first seems better, but when looking at
this inside the Info viewer, then it is either

  See 5.2.3.

or

  See Section hooks.

And now the numbered variant is just not informative enough for my
needs.  I want links to inform the user what they will get when they
click on it, not how far away from the current location the link
takes them ;-)

I would like if the second form were always used, or if you could add
an option that allowed selecting the desired style.  The former could
be accomplished simply by removing

  ((org-export-numbered-headline-p destination info)
   (mapconcat
    #'number-to-string
    (org-export-get-headline-number destination info) "."))

from `org-texinfo-link'.

Also note that the use of "numbered links" seems to mess with paragraph
justification.  In that case lines that contain links tend to be to
short and it gets worse the longer the title gets, probably because that
is present in the info file (and therefor used for justification (maybe
that could be changed?)), but then not displayed in the Info viewer.

  Thanks,
  Jonas

* Re: ox-texinfo: non-numbered links to numbered sections
@ 2016-04-10  7:12 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-04-10  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonas Bernoulli; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Jonas Bernoulli <jonas@bernoul.li> writes:

> Currently "#+OPTIONS: num:N" not only affects whether sections are
> numbered, it also controls whether links to numbered sections look
> like
>
>   See *note 5.2.3: Section hooks.
>
> or
>
>   See *note Section hooks: Section hooks.
>
> in the info file.

This is not specific to texinfo back-end: all export back-ends behave
this way.

> Here the first seems better, but when looking at this inside the Info
> viewer, then it is either
>
>   See 5.2.3.
>
> or
>
>   See Section hooks.
>
> And now the numbered variant is just not informative enough for my
> needs.  I want links to inform the user what they will get when they
> click on it, not how far away from the current location the link
> takes them ;-)

The point is that you can add text around the section number. This is
the only way to get the section number of a given headline.

> I would like if the second form were always used, or if you could add
> an option that allowed selecting the desired style.  The former could
> be accomplished simply by removing
>
>   ((org-export-numbered-headline-p destination info)
>    (mapconcat
>     #'number-to-string
>     (org-export-get-headline-number destination info) "."))
>
> from `org-texinfo-link'.

Instead of reducing the numbers of allowed options, you can use

  [[*Headline][{{{property(item)}}}]]

> Also note that the use of "numbered links" seems to mess with paragraph
> justification.  In that case lines that contain links tend to be to
> short and it gets worse the longer the title gets, probably because that
> is present in the info file (and therefor used for justification (maybe
> that could be changed?)), but then not displayed in the Info viewer.

Please make a different bug report, with an ECM, about it.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou