emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Word wrap in org-mode
@ 2012-10-21 21:53 Chris Henderson
From: Chris Henderson @ 2012-10-21 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Is there a way to do word wrap in org-mode? When I copy and paste long
texts, it goes across the window. Alt-q doesn't do word wrap.

M-x org-version: Org-mode version 7.8.11
M-x emacs-version: GNU Emacs 24.2.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin12.1.0) of 2012-09-06

Thanks.

* Re: Word wrap in org-mode
@ 2012-10-21 22:16 ` Axel E. Retif
From: Axel E. Retif @ 2012-10-21 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Henderson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 10/21/2012 04:53 PM, Chris Henderson wrote:

> Is there a way to do word wrap in org-mode? When I copy and paste long
> texts, it goes across the window. Alt-q doesn't do word wrap.
>
> M-x org-version: Org-mode version 7.8.11
> M-x emacs-version: GNU Emacs 24.2.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin12.1.0) of 2012-09-06

I use M-x visual-line-mode

Best

Axel

* Re: Word wrap in org-mode
@ 2012-10-21 22:47 ` Myles English
From: Myles English @ 2012-10-21 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Henderson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Chris Henderson writes:

> Is there a way to do word wrap in org-mode? When I copy and paste long
> texts, it goes across the window. Alt-q doesn't do word wrap.

Maybe I am misunderstanding, but M-q works for me and is bound to
`(fill-paragraph)', perhaps yours is bound to something else?  Press:

C-h k M-q

to find out.

Myles

* Re: Word wrap in org-mode
@ 2012-10-22  4:03   ` Chris Henderson
From: Chris Henderson @ 2012-10-22  4:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Myles English; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 9:47 AM, Myles English <mylesenglish@gmail.com> wrote:

> Chris Henderson writes:
>
>> Is there a way to do word wrap in org-mode? When I copy and paste long
>> texts, it goes across the window. Alt-q doesn't do word wrap.
>
> Maybe I am misunderstanding, but M-q works for me and is bound to
> `(fill-paragraph)', perhaps yours is bound to something else?  Press:
>
> C-h k M-q
>
> to find out.

This is what I get:

It is bound to M-q.

(fill-paragraph &optional JUSTIFY REGION)

Should it work?

Thanks.

* Re: Word wrap in org-mode
@ 2012-10-22  9:20     ` Myles English
From: Myles English @ 2012-10-22  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Henderson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Chris Henderson writes:

> On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 9:47 AM, Myles English <mylesenglish@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Chris Henderson writes:
>>
>>> Is there a way to do word wrap in org-mode? When I copy and paste long
>>> texts, it goes across the window. Alt-q doesn't do word wrap.
>>
>> Maybe I am misunderstanding, but M-q works for me and is bound to
>> `(fill-paragraph)', perhaps yours is bound to something else?  Press:
>>
>> C-h k M-q
>>
>> to find out.
>
> This is what I get:
>
> It is bound to M-q.
>
> (fill-paragraph &optional JUSTIFY REGION)
>
> Should it work?

I get it now: I think you want to handle a very long line that
disappears off the end of the buffer by making it go to the next line
instead and have little arrows at each end to indicate that it is all
the same line -- probably called 'wrapping'.  Fill-paragraph puts line
feed (or is it carriage return?) characters at the end of each screen
line so that it appears as a neat block of text.

I am afraid we have reached the limit of my experience of these things.
If M-q isn't doing anything it is a bit strange though.

May be someone more useful will respond to your question.

Myles