emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Babel shell script issue
@ 2016-04-25  7:24 Jarmo Hurri
From: Jarmo Hurri @ 2016-04-25  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Greetings.

I have trouble running shell scripts in Babel. I can't even reproduce
examples from worg. For example, this piece of org

  #+begin_src sh :results drawer
  cat <<EOF
  | 1 | 2
  |--
  | a | b
  EOF
  #+end_src

from this page

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/header-args.html

produces the following error:

org-babel-variable-assignments:sh: Symbol's function definition is void: org-babel-get-header

I have just pulled the most recent org, that is,
release_8.3.4-753-gda4db33.

Any tips?

Jarmo

* Re: Babel shell script issue
       [not found] <ac5a3ce85c5243c6b2d730e422922843@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
@ 2016-04-25  8:04 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2016-04-25  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jarmo Hurri; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Monday, 25 Apr 2016 at 07:24, Jarmo Hurri wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> I have trouble running shell scripts in Babel. I can't even reproduce
> examples from worg. For example, this piece of org
>
>   #+begin_src sh :results drawer
>   cat <<EOF
>   | 1 | 2
>   |--
>   | a | b
>   EOF
>   #+end_src
>
> from this page
>
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/header-args.html
>
> produces the following error:
>
> org-babel-variable-assignments:sh: Symbol's function definition is
> void: org-babel-get-header

Have you done this:

  (require 'ob-shell)

?

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.92.1, Org release_8.3.4-739-g789412

* Re: Babel shell script issue
@ 2016-04-25  8:20   ` Sylvain Rousseau
       [not found]   ` <a93d2d3d412d434ca9fc2e9652c2c6b4@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
From: Sylvain Rousseau @ 2016-04-25  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga, Jarmo Hurri, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

I had the same problem. You actually need to use:

    #+begin_src shell :results drawer
    #+end_src

Using sh loads an org function that comes with your emacs and is outdated...

Btw could these functions be marked as deprecated but aliased to the new
ones?

Sylvain.

@ 2016-04-25  8:26     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2016-04-25  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sylvain Rousseau; +Cc: Jarmo Hurri, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Monday, 25 Apr 2016 at 08:20, Sylvain Rousseau wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had the same problem. You actually need to use:
>
>     #+begin_src shell :results drawer
>     #+end_src
>
> Using sh loads an org function that comes with your emacs and is outdated...

Interestingly, "sh" worked for me with quite a recent org from git but I
do think you are correct that the proper usage is with "shell".

--

@ 2016-04-25  8:37       ` Loris Bennett
From: Loris Bennett @ 2016-04-25  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> On Monday, 25 Apr 2016 at 08:20, Sylvain Rousseau wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I had the same problem. You actually need to use:
>>
>>     #+begin_src shell :results drawer
>>     #+end_src
>>
>> Using sh loads an org function that comes with your emacs and is outdated...
>
> Interestingly, "sh" worked for me with quite a recent org from git but I
> do think you are correct that the proper usage is with "shell".

If I change 'sh' to 'shell', I loose the syntax highlighting of the
code.  Is 'sh' really deprecated and, if so, how can I get the code back
in colour?

Cheers,

Loris

Org-mode version 8.3.4 (8.3.4-31-gcb683e-elpaplus), GNU Emacs 24.4.1

* Re: Babel shell script issue
@ 2016-04-25  8:40     ` Jarmo Hurri
From: Jarmo Hurri @ 2016-04-25  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sylvain Rousseau <thisirs@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I had the same problem. You actually need to use:
>
>     #+begin_src shell :results drawer
>     #+end_src

Ok, this removes the error, but I still get no reasonable output from
the example from worg:

  #+begin_src shell :results drawer
  cat <<EOF
  | 1 | 2
  |--
  | a | b
  EOF
  #+end_src

It only prints a bunch of cryptic stuff in the echo area and produces no
other output. (The same happens in my own code.)

Jarmo

* Re: Babel shell script issue
       [not found]   ` <a93d2d3d412d434ca9fc2e9652c2c6b4@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
@ 2016-04-25 13:17   ` Jarmo Hurri
From: Jarmo Hurri @ 2016-04-25 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> On Monday, 25 Apr 2016 at 07:24, Jarmo Hurri wrote:
>> Greetings.
>>
>> I have trouble running shell scripts in Babel. I can't even reproduce
>> examples from worg. For example, this piece of org
>>
>>   #+begin_src sh :results drawer
>>   cat <<EOF
>>   | 1 | 2
>>   |--
>>   | a | b
>>   EOF
>>   #+end_src
>>
>> from this page
>>
>> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/header-args.html
>>
>> produces the following error:
>>
>> org-babel-variable-assignments:sh: Symbol's function definition is
>> void: org-babel-get-header
>
> Have you done this:
>
>   (require 'ob-shell)

Yes I have, and it doesn't solve the issue.

I am currently exchanging emails with Sylvain in order to resolve the
issue.

Thanks,

Jarmo