emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Trouble with logbook drawers
@ 2016-11-18 10:49 Michael Welle
From: Michael Welle @ 2016-11-18 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I have a few repeating tasks with defective logbook drawers:

   :LOGBOOK:
   :LOGBOOK:
   :END:
   :END:

As you can see, two drawers got nested somehow. They both hold data that
belongs to the task. I can't say if data is missing, but there seems to
be no duplication of data.

From time to time I fix them manually, but they tend to come back after
some time. Any hints?

Regards
hmw

* Re: Trouble with logbook drawers
@ 2016-11-18 15:53 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-11-18 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Welle; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Michael Welle <mwe012008@gmx.net> writes:

> I have a few repeating tasks with defective logbook drawers:
>
>    :LOGBOOK:
>    :LOGBOOK:
>    :END:
>    :END:
>
> As you can see, two drawers got nested somehow. They both hold data that
> belongs to the task. I can't say if data is missing, but there seems to
> be no duplication of data.
>
> From time to time I fix them manually, but they tend to come back after
> some time. Any hints?

No idea. An ECM would help. Also, what Org version are you using? What
is the value of `org-log-into-drawer'?

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Trouble with logbook drawers
@ 2016-11-18 17:35   ` Michael Welle
From: Michael Welle @ 2016-11-18 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

> Hello,
>
> Michael Welle <mwe012008@gmx.net> writes:
>
>> I have a few repeating tasks with defective logbook drawers:
>>
>>    :LOGBOOK:
>>    :LOGBOOK:
>>    :END:
>>    :END:
>>
>> As you can see, two drawers got nested somehow. They both hold data that
>> belongs to the task. I can't say if data is missing, but there seems to
>> be no duplication of data.
>>
>> From time to time I fix them manually, but they tend to come back after
>> some time. Any hints?
>
> No idea. An ECM would help.
that's not so easy I guess.

I found a few occurrences where that issue occurred and the order of the
log entries in the drawer was out of order, like this:

   :LOGBOOK:
   - State "DONE"       from "OPEN"       [2016-10-19 Wed 10:08]
   - State "DONE"       from "OPEN"       [2016-10-15 Sat 09:17]
   - State "OPEN"       from "OPEN"       [2016-10-15 Sat 09:16]
   - State "DONE"       from "OPEN"       [2016-10-07 Fri 12:58]
   :LOGBOOK:
   - State "OPEN"       from "OPEN"       [2016-10-19 Wed 10:07]
   - State "OPEN"       from "OPEN"       [2016-10-07 Fri 12:58]
   :END:
   - State "DONE"       from "OPEN"       [2016-09-29 Thu 10:35]
   :END:

Judging from the time stamps all tasks suffering from the issue got
defective at the some day. But most of the time the order of the entries
is still correct, so I can't really say if the issue happened at a
certain point in time or gradually.

> Also, what Org version are you using? What
The git version from october. But I observed that issue with earlier
versions as well. I've upgraded from git now, let's see what happens.

> is the value of `org-log-into-drawer'?
It's set to t.

@ 2016-11-21 11:06 ` Michael Welle
From: Michael Welle @ 2016-11-21 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

hm, yesterday I updated from git and restarted Emacs. This morning I
opened and closed a handful of recurring tasks, then I discovered that
all of them showed the issue. I removed today's logbook entries, saved
the org file, reloaded the agenda and opened and closed the tasks (from
the agenda view) again - this time everything is correct. Of course, I
did not necessarily repeat exactly the same steps in the same order and
timing.

A couple of weeks ago I asked about data loss. Nobody else seems to have
the same issue. Maybe the two are somehow related and they are a result
of how I use Org? I would say that I haven't customised too much and I
use Org in a very basic manner. So if you think you have something to
add, even remotely, please chime in ;).

Regards
hmw

PS: One thing both issues have in common is that they occur before noon,
    in the hours after awaking the machine from suspending to ram during
    the night. But that could be pure chance, because I tend to
    manipulate most of my tasks before noon.