emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Org update script
@ 2007-04-25 16:30 Scott Jaderholm
From: Scott Jaderholm @ 2007-04-25 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Has anyone created a script for updating org? It's only a few commands but
since we're fortunate enough to get updates so frequently (thanks Carsten!)
it would be nice to only have to type one.

I don't know how to write quality scripts but I've jotted down what I think
would need to be done to make it a tiny bit easier in case no one's done it
and someone is willing to give it a shot.

wget http://staff.science.uva.nl/~dominik/Tools/org/
awk to find out version number
wget http://staff.science.uva.nl/~dominik/Tools/org/org-x.zip
tar -xvzf org-x.tar.gz
rm -rf ~/org-tar.gz
rm ~/.elisp/org
mv org-x ~/.elisp/org
cd ~/.elisp/org
make

I guess improvements could be made to keep the old version of org or revert
back if make fails.

Anyone have a script that does this or willing to take a crack at it?

Thanks,
Scott

* Re: Org update script
@ 2007-04-25 18:58 ` Pete Phillips
From: Pete Phillips @ 2007-04-25 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Jaderholm; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

    Scott> Has anyone created a script for updating org?

This will do the job.  It doesn't compile the lisp file, but I
frequently don't bother to do this anyway.  :-)

This also means that it keeps all old versions, and you can restore an
old version by changing the symbolic link if you wish.

Save the  file as below the  dashes as 'update-org.sh'  or similar, edit
the variables to make sense for your setup, make it executable:

	chmod +x ~/bin/update-org.sh

and then run it. Let me know how it goes.

regards
Pete
#!/bin/sh

# script to automate pulling the latest org from Carsten's site
# PJP pete@smtl.co.uk

# set up some variables
# edit these.!!!

# directory where the org directory is located
DIR=$HOME/emacs/lisp
# the name of the sym link we will create
ORGDIR=$DIR/org
# duh!
TMP=/tmp
TMPTAR=$TMP/org.tar.gz

# go to the tmp dir
cd $TMP

# make sure we have the lisp dir
mkdir -p $DIR

# get the tar file
wget http://staff.science.uva.nl/~dominik/Tools/org/org.tar.gz

# ORGDIR is a symbolic link. We get rid of it
rm -f $DIR

# cd to the lisp directory
cd $DIR

# unpack the tar file
tar xzvf $TMPTAR

# what is the new directory name?
# (yes I could use awk, but I can write this line faster than I could
# check out the man page)
ORGVER=`tar tvf $TMPTAR | head -1 | sed 's/  */ /g' | cut -d' ' -f6`

# remake the link...
ln -s $ORGVER org

# and relax....

echo "$ORGVER is now installed.

You can cd to $ORGDIR and run make if you wish.

Don't forget to edit the Makefile.
"

* Re: Org update script
@ 2007-04-25 19:57   ` Scott Jaderholm
From: Scott Jaderholm @ 2007-04-25 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pete Phillips; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 4/25/07, Pete Phillips <pete@smtl.co.uk> wrote:

> > Scott Jaderholm <jaderholm@gmail.com> writes:

>Has anyone created a script for updating org?
>
> This will do the job.  It doesn't compile the lisp file, but I
> frequently don't bother to do this anyway.  :-)

I changed it to work without symlinks because I sync the files to Windows,
and I added make, and it works great. Thanks!

# ORGDIR is a symbolic link. We get rid of it
> rm -f $DIR

I'm guessing that should be rm -f $ORGDIR then?

Again, thank you!

--Scott

* Re: Org update script
@ 2007-04-25 21:57     ` Pete Phillips
From: Pete Phillips @ 2007-04-25 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Jaderholm; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

    Pete>     # ORGDIR is a symbolic link. We get rid of it rm -f $DIR
    Scott> I'm guessing that should be rm -f $ORGDIR then?

<blush>

Ahh well. It is my wife's birthday, and I should have been doing other
things rather than knocking up a quick shell script!

Pete

* Re: Org update script
@ 2007-04-25 22:27 ` Patrick Drechsler
From: Patrick Drechsler @ 2007-04-25 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Scott Jaderholm" <jaderholm@gmail.com> writes:
> wget http://staff.science.uva.nl/~dominik/Tools/org/
> awk to find out version number
> wget http://staff.science.uva.nl/~dominik/Tools/org/org-x.zip
> tar -xvzf org-x.tar.gz
> rm -rf ~/org-tar.gz
> rm ~/.elisp/org
> mv org-x ~/.elisp/org
> cd ~/.elisp/org
> make

Why make?

Isn't org mode small enough to run with *.el files instead of *.elc files?

I've never compiled org mode. I just do

make install-info

after adopting the path in the Makefile.

Patrick
--
There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX.
We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

* Re: Re: Org update script
@ 2007-04-26  4:41   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-04-26  4:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Drechsler; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Apr 26, 2007, at 0:27, Patrick Drechsler wrote:

> "Scott Jaderholm" <jaderholm@gmail.com> writes:
>> wget http://staff.science.uva.nl/~dominik/Tools/org/
>> awk to find out version number
>> wget http://staff.science.uva.nl/~dominik/Tools/org/org-x.zip
>> tar -xvzf org-x.tar.gz
>> rm -rf ~/org-tar.gz
>> rm ~/.elisp/org
>> mv org-x ~/.elisp/org
>> cd ~/.elisp/org
>> make
>
> Why make?
>
> Isn't org mode small enough to run with *.el files instead of *.elc
> files?

org.el is the single biggest Emacs Lisp file in the
Emacs distribution.  Admittetly there are larger packages
like gnus that have een split over many files, but still
org-mode is PRETTY BIG.  I am glad that it still feels
lightweight to you, this is one of the goals of its
development.

I would always recommend doing the compilation step.  It speeds
up loading of the file, and the general performance is much
better.  Still most operations are fast enough so that you
will not feel the difference.   However, producing a large agenda,
or in particular recomputing a large spreadsheet will be a
lot faster with compiled org.elc.

The one case when you should not use a compiled file is when
sending be the traceback of an error - that is much more useful
when made with uncompiled code.

- Carsten

* Re: Re: Org update script
@ 2007-04-26  5:56     ` Pete Phillips
From: Pete Phillips @ 2007-04-26  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

    Carsten> org.el is the single biggest Emacs Lisp file in the Emacs
    Carsten> distribution.

    Carsten> I would always recommend doing the compilation step.  It
    Carsten> speeds up loading of the file, and the general performance
    Carsten> is much better.

This will do the job. Just make sure you edit EMACSBIN to point to the
path of your emacs binary.

Pete

(I will put this up for ftp at some stage)
#!/bin/sh

# script to automate pullingthe latest org from Carsten's site
# PJP pete@smtl.co.uk
# $Revision: 1.1 $
# $Log: update-org.sh,v $
# Revision 1.1  2007/04/26 05:53:54  pete
# Initial revision
#

# set up some variables
# EDIT THESE.!!!

# directory where the org directory is located
DIR=$HOME/emacs/lisp
ORGDIR=$DIR/org
TMP=/tmp
TMPTAR=$TMP/org.tar.gz
# This is where I keep my copy of CVS emacs.
EMACSBIN=/usr/local/emacs-cvs/bin/emacs
#EMACSBIN=/usr/local/bin/emacs

# you should not need to edit anything else below here

# go to the tmp dir
cd $TMP

# make sure we have the lisp dir
mkdir -p $DIR

# get the tar file
wget http://staff.science.uva.nl/~dominik/Tools/org/org.tar.gz

# ORGDIR is a symbolic link. We get rid of it
rm $ORGDIR

# cd to the lisp directory
cd $DIR

# unpack the tar file
tar xzvf $TMPTAR

# what is the new directory name?
ORGVER=`tar tvf $TMPTAR | head -1 | sed 's/  */ /g' | cut -d' ' -f6`

# remake the link...
ln -s $ORGVER org

# make ...
cd $ORGDIR
mv Makefile Makefile.orig
sed s:EMACS=emacs:EMACS=$EMACSBIN: < Makefile.orig > Makefile
make

* Re: Re: Org update script
@ 2007-04-28 22:22     ` Patrick Drechsler
From: Patrick Drechsler @ 2007-04-28 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> On Apr 26, 2007, at 0:27, Patrick Drechsler wrote:
>
>> "Scott Jaderholm" <jaderholm@gmail.com> writes:
[...install script...]
>>> make
>>
>> Why make?
>>
>> Isn't org mode small enough to run with *.el files instead of *.elc
>> files?
>
> org.el is the single biggest Emacs Lisp file in the Emacs
> distribution.  Admittetly there are larger packages like gnus that
> have een split over many files, but still org-mode is PRETTY BIG.  I
> am glad that it still feels lightweight to you, this is one of the
> goals of its development.
>
> I would always recommend doing the compilation step.

OK, thanks for the explanation, Carsten.

Cheers

Patrick
--
OS's and GUI's come and go, only Emacs has lasting power.
(Per Abrahamsen)