emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* [BUG] org-create-formula-image requires 'gs' when it doesn't look like to be necessary (causing issues on Windows)
@ 2016-11-11 14:07 Frederick Giasson
From: Frederick Giasson @ 2016-11-11 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I am a Windows user and I am testing the Org 9.x branch. I just
discovered that I couldn't display inline latex anymore using C-c C-x
C-l. I was getting that error:

     org-create-formula-image: Can’t find ‘gs’ (you need to install the
programs: latex, dvipng and ghostscript.)

A look at orl.el line #4079: "(defcustom
org-preview-latex-process-alist", for "dvipng" we have a programs list:
"("latex" "dvipng" "gs")"

The problem here is that "gs" is not an executable that exists in
Ghostscript for Windows nor I think it is necessary for that to work.

I did remove it from the list of required parameters, then I restarted
Emacs and everything is working fine now.

Any thoughts on that? Should it be fixed? (I guess)

Thanks,

Fred

* Re: [BUG] org-create-formula-image requires 'gs' when it doesn't look like to be necessary (causing issues on Windows)
@ 2016-11-11 14:08 ` Frederick Giasson
From: Frederick Giasson @ 2016-11-11 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi again,

There is one thing I forgot to mention: PDF/LateX export was working fine.

Thanks,

Fred

@ 2016-11-11 15:00 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-11-11 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frederick Giasson; +Cc: Feng Shu, emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Frederick Giasson <fred@fgiasson.com> writes:

> I am a Windows user and I am testing the Org 9.x branch. I just
> discovered that I couldn't display inline latex anymore using C-c C-x
> C-l. I was getting that error:
>

>     org-create-formula-image: Can’t find ‘gs’ (you need to install the
> programs: latex, dvipng and ghostscript.)
>

> A look at orl.el line #4079: "(defcustom
> org-preview-latex-process-alist", for "dvipng" we have a programs
> list: "("latex" "dvipng" "gs")"
>
> The problem here is that "gs" is not an executable that exists in
> Ghostscript for Windows nor I think it is necessary for that to work.
>
> I did remove it from the list of required parameters, then I restarted
> Emacs and everything is working fine now.
>

> Any thoughts on that? Should it be fixed? (I guess)

Do you mean that "gs" could be removed from all entries in
`org-preview-latex-process-alist'?

I'm Cc'ing Feng Shu, who implemented the new LaTeX preview mechanism. He
hopefully knows why this dependency was introduced in the first place.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou

@ 2016-11-11 15:02   ` Frederick Giasson
From: Frederick Giasson @ 2016-11-11 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode, Feng Shu

Hi Nicolas,

> Do you mean that "gs" could be removed from all entries in
> `org-preview-latex-process-alist'?
>
> I'm Cc'ing Feng Shu, who implemented the new LaTeX preview mechanism. He
> hopefully knows why this dependency was introduced in the first place.

I think so yes, at least on Windows (didn't try on Linux nor OSX)

@ 2016-11-11 16:49     ` Rick Frankel
From: Rick Frankel @ 2016-11-11 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 10:02:00AM -0500, Frederick Giasson wrote:
> > Do you mean that "gs" could be removed from all entries in
> > `org-preview-latex-process-alist'?
> >
> > I'm Cc'ing Feng Shu, who implemented the new LaTeX preview mechanism. He
> > hopefully knows why this dependency was introduced in the first place.
>
> I think so yes, at least on Windows (didn't try on Linux nor OSX)

I've checked all three converters on os x as well (but not linux). ghostscript
is included an a dependency for all of them, so won't work on osx w/o
explicitly installing ghostscript, but in fact, work fine w/o it. I am not
sure why it has been set for each converter as a dependency since it does not
seem to be used by any of the conversion chains. As an aside, it is not
mentioned in the documentation (info).

rick

@ 2016-11-12  0:24       ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-11-12  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Rick Frankel <rick@rickster.com> writes:

> On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 10:02:00AM -0500, Frederick Giasson wrote:
>> > Do you mean that "gs" could be removed from all entries in
>> > `org-preview-latex-process-alist'?
>> >
>> > I'm Cc'ing Feng Shu, who implemented the new LaTeX preview mechanism. He
>> > hopefully knows why this dependency was introduced in the first place.
>>
>> I think so yes, at least on Windows (didn't try on Linux nor OSX)
>
> I've checked all three converters on os x as well (but not linux). ghostscript
> is included an a dependency for all of them, so won't work on osx w/o
> explicitly installing ghostscript, but in fact, work fine w/o it. I am not
> sure why it has been set for each converter as a dependency since it does not
> seem to be used by any of the conversion chains. As an aside, it is not
> mentioned in the documentation (info).

Fair enough. I removed the dependency.

Regards,

--