emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Tables not converted to markdown format with markdown exporter
@ 2017-02-08  8:28 Roland Everaert
From: Roland Everaert @ 2017-02-08  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Since a few weeks we use mattermost at work and I had recently to post a
table to a team channel. I have created my table with org-mode, but when I
export it to markdown format, the table is converted to html instead of
markdown.

Is there any reason to that, except the simple fact that table conversion
is not implemented yet?

As the markdown format is quite similar to the org-mode format regarding
tables, I don't really see where could lie the difficulty.

Example:
- org format

| column 1  | column 2       | column 3        |
|-----------+----------------+-----------------|
| some text | some more text | event more text |
| blah      | 45             | fgf             |

- markdown format
| column 1  | column 2       | column 3        |
|-----------|----------------|-----------------|
| some text | some more text | event more text |
| blah      | 45             | fgf             |

This is obviously a very simple example, but usually, with mattermost, one
doesn't post very complex messages.

Regards.

* Re: Tables not converted to markdown format with markdown exporter
@ 2017-02-08 11:20 ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2017-02-08 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roland Everaert; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Roland Everaert <reveatwork@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Since a few weeks we use mattermost at work and I had recently to post a table to a team channel. I have created my table with org-mode, but when I export it to markdown format, the table is converted to html instead of markdown.
>
> Is there any reason to that, except the simple fact that table conversion is not implemented yet?
>
> As the markdown format is quite similar to the org-mode format regarding tables, I don't really see where could lie the difficulty.
>
> Example:
> - org format
>
> | column 1  | column 2       | column 3        |
> |-----------+----------------+-----------------|
> | some text | some more text | event more text |
> | blah      | 45             | fgf             |
>
> - markdown format
> | column 1  | column 2       | column 3        |
> |-----------|----------------|-----------------|
> | some text | some more text | event more text |
> | blah      | 45             | fgf             |
>
> This is obviously a very simple example, but usually, with mattermost, one doesn't post very complex messages.
>
> Regards.

AFAIK markdown can't do tables. Any search of google won't show any ways
of doing markdown-tables because its not available on markdown.

Sorry. I guess its back to the drawing board then?

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian 8.6, fluxbox 1.3.5-2, emacs 25.1.1.1

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Tables not converted to markdown format with markdown exporter
@ 2017-02-08 11:35   ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2017-02-08 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: Roland Everaert, emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Feb 08 2017, Sharon Kimble wrote:
> Roland Everaert <reveatwork@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Since a few weeks we use mattermost at work and I had recently
>> to post a table to a team channel. I have created my table with
>> org-mode, but when I export it to markdown format, the table is
>> converted to html instead of markdown.
>>
>> Is there any reason to that, except the simple fact that table
>> conversion is not implemented yet?
>>
>> As the markdown format is quite similar to the org-mode format
>> regarding tables, I don't really see where could lie the
>> difficulty.
>>
>> Example:
>> - org format
>>
>> | column 1 | column 2 | column 3 |
>> |-----------+----------------+-----------------|
>> | some text | some more text | event more text |
>> | blah | 45 | fgf |
>>
>> - markdown format
>> | column 1 | column 2 | column 3 |
>> |-----------|----------------|-----------------|
>> | some text | some more text | event more text |
>> | blah | 45 | fgf |
>>
>> This is obviously a very simple example, but usually, with
>> mattermost, one doesn't post very complex messages.
>>
>> Regards.
>
> AFAIK markdown can't do tables. Any search of google won't show
> any ways
> of doing markdown-tables because its not available on markdown.

There are certainly markdown variants that support tables,
MultiMarkdown, PHP Markdown Extra and Pandoc markdown do, for
example.

Roland, if Org export won't work, you may want to take a look at
Pandoc. It accepts Org files as input and can produce Markdown
files as output, and it supports a number of different types of
tables. The kinds of tables you're looking for are called pipe
tables in Pandoc's documentation:

http://pandoc.org/MANUAL.html#tables

HTH

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments

* Re: Tables not converted to markdown format with markdown exporter
@ 2017-02-08 13:22     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2017-02-08 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joost Kremers; +Cc: Roland Everaert, emacs-orgmode, Sharon Kimble

Hello,

Joost Kremers <joostkremers@fastmail.fm> writes:

> There are certainly markdown variants that support tables,
> MultiMarkdown, PHP Markdown Extra and Pandoc markdown do, for example.

Org only supports vanilla markdown out of the box. So there is no table
conversion available (it is exported as HTML since vanilla markdown
does support raw HTML).

Various ELPA provide more advanced markdown conversion. The OP may use
those.

Since Org table and expected markdown tables are identical, another
option is to force to export raw tables by surronding them within
a #+begin_export md...#+end_export md block.

This can be done automatically in a dedicated hook, e.g.,
`org-export-before-parsing-hook'. See manual for details.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou