emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* how to be sure that there are not doble entries for org-id-locations
@ 2023-06-18 16:20 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2023-06-18 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi I am using the following workflow (for the org-aggregate pkg, but the
logic for lookup is similar)

I have one file with a table
#+Name: short-notes
| Name  | Exam1 | Exam2 | Result |
|-------+-------+-------+--------|
| Smith |     8 |    10 | 9      |
#+TBLFM: $4=vmean($2..$3);f2

And I want to extract the last column in another org file

#+BEGIN: aggregate :table short-notes :cols "Name Result"
| Name  | Result |
|-------+--------|
| Smith |      9 |
#+END:

That *does not* work, so what I do I add to the file with short-notes
via
=org-id-get-create=

And org-id,

However I find the selected «name» cumbersome (although I understand its
purpose) so I replace it by
* Short notes
  :PROPERTIES:
  :ID:       short-notes
  :END:

and run

=org-id-update-id-locations=

then everything is fine.

however my «smart» way of selecting org-id might run into problems,
since I accidently can introduce such and id, twice.

Therefore is there any way to check it (other then opening the opening
.org-id-locacations and check it manually)?

Thanks

Uwe Brauer

--
Warning: Content may be disturbing to some audiences
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against the Ukraine.

* Re: how to be sure that there are not doble entries for org-id-locations
@ 2023-06-18 16:35 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-06-18 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> Hi I am using the following workflow (for the org-aggregate pkg, but the
> logic for lookup is similar)
>
> And I want to extract the last column in another org file
>
> #+BEGIN: aggregate :table short-notes :cols "Name Result"
> | Name  | Result |
> |-------+--------|
> | Smith |      9 |
> #+END:
>
> That *does not* work, so what I do I add to the file with short-notes
> via
> =org-id-get-create=

Looks like XY problem.
Why not just use remote reference?
See 3.5.1 References section of Org manual.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: how to be sure that there are not doble entries for org-id-locations
@ 2023-06-18 20:02   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2023-06-18 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: Uwe Brauer, emacs-orgmode

> Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> Looks like XY problem.
> Why not just use remote reference?
> See 3.5.1 References section of Org manual.

I am very confused. According to that part of the manual and I quote
,----

| where NAME can be the name of a table in the current file as set by a
|
| ‘#+NAME:’ line before the table. It can also be the ID of an entry, even
| in a different file, and the reference then refers to the first table in
| that entry. REF is an absolute field or range reference as described
| above for example ‘@3$3’ or ‘$somename’, valid in the referenced table.
`----

Since the table is in another file I am also force to use an ID, as with
the solution I posted before.

=org-id-get-create=
=org-id-update-id-locations=

So my problem still persists.

What do I miss

--
Warning: Content may be disturbing to some audiences
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against the Ukraine.
I support the NATO membership of the Ukraine.
I support the EU membership of the Ukraine.
https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/addon/gmail-conversation-view/

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: how to be sure that there are not doble entries for org-id-locations
@ 2023-06-18 20:51     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-06-18 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> I am very confused. According to that part of the manual and I quote
> Since the table is in another file I am also force to use an ID, as with
> the solution I posted before.
>
> =org-id-get-create=
> =org-id-update-id-locations=

Hmm. Right.
So, is your question "how to check duplicate IDs"? If yes, the answer is
M-x org-lint

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,