emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* visiting the last node filed from Remember buffer
@ 2010-06-10 12:00 Ken Olstad
From: Ken Olstad @ 2010-06-10 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-orgmode

I have a question below, but first I want to say thanks, to Carsten of
course for org-mode, but also to all of you who contribute the great
tips and help on this forum.

Often, shortly after I've stored a quick note using Remember, I go back
to the note where it's been stored and add to it.  Is there a convenient
way to go to that note, i.e. to the location where Remember most
recently stored a note, much as org-refile with two C-u prefixes (C-u
C-u C-c C-w) takes me to the destination of the last org-refile?

Ken

* Re: visiting the last node filed from Remember buffer
@ 2010-06-10 12:19 ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2010-06-10 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Olstad; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

"Ken Olstad" <Ken_Olstad@symantec.com> writes:

> I have a question below, but first I want to say thanks, to Carsten of
> course for org-mode, but also to all of you who contribute the great
> tips and help on this forum.
>
> Often, shortly after I’ve stored a quick note using Remember, I go back
> to the note where it’s been stored and add to it.  Is there a
> convenient way to go to that note, i.e. to the location where Remember
> most recently stored a note, much as org-refile with two C-u prefixes
> (C-u C-u C-c C-w) takes me to the destination of the last org-refile?

M-x org-remember-goto-last-stored

If you'd like to see all the functions related to an org feature (such
as org-remember), you can use apropos:

C-h a org remember [RET]

This is convenient ways to browse all the tools at your disposal.

Best,
Matt

* Re: visiting the last node filed from Remember buffer
@ 2010-06-10 13:14   ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-06-10 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Lundin; +Cc: Ken Olstad, Emacs-orgmode

Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> writes:

> "Ken Olstad" <Ken_Olstad@symantec.com> writes:
>
>> I have a question below, but first I want to say thanks, to Carsten of
>> course for org-mode, but also to all of you who contribute the great
>> tips and help on this forum.
>>
>> Often, shortly after I’ve stored a quick note using Remember, I go back
>> to the note where it’s been stored and add to it.  Is there a
>> convenient way to go to that note, i.e. to the location where Remember
>> most recently stored a note, much as org-refile with two C-u prefixes
>> (C-u C-u C-c C-w) takes me to the destination of the last org-refile?

The same sequence with the remember key works to go to the last remember
note filing location.

Put a double prefix on your org-remember key sequence
If you start remember with C-M-R then
C-u C-u C-M-R goes to the last stored note.

-Bernt

> M-x org-remember-goto-last-stored
>
> If you'd like to see all the functions related to an org feature (such
> as org-remember), you can use apropos:
>
> C-h a org remember [RET]
>
> This is convenient ways to browse all the tools at your disposal.
>
> Best,
> Matt

* Re: Re: visiting the last node filed from Remember buffer
@ 2010-06-10 13:49     ` Darlan Cavalcante Moreira
From: Darlan Cavalcante Moreira @ 2010-06-10 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: Ken Olstad, Matt Lundin, Emacs-orgmode

Whenever I use remember or refile a subtree org-mode automatically sets the
bookmarks "org-refile-last-stored" and
"org-remember-last-stored". Therefore I can use the standard emacs bookmark
system for that ("C-x r l" to list all bookmarks).

--
Darlan

@ 2010-06-10 15:54     ` Ken Olstad
From: Ken Olstad @ 2010-06-10 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen, Matt Lundin; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

So natural, I should have thought of it.  Thanks!

@ 2010-06-10 16:10       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2010-06-10 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Darlan Cavalcante Moreira
  Cc: Ken Olstad, Bernt Hansen, Matt Lundin, Emacs-orgmode

Hi Darlan,

Darlan Cavalcante Moreira <darcamo@gmail.com> writes:

> Whenever I use remember or refile a subtree org-mode automatically sets the
> bookmarks "org-refile-last-stored" and
> "org-remember-last-stored". Therefore I can use the standard emacs bookmark
> system for that ("C-x r l" to list all bookmarks).

Nice.  Could you explain more into details how do you automatically
create the bookmark?

This could go in Worg:

  http://orgmode.org/worg/org-hacks.php

--
 Bastien

* RE: Re: visiting the last node filed from Remember buffer
@ 2010-06-10 21:11         ` Ken Olstad
From: Ken Olstad @ 2010-06-10 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien, Darlan Cavalcante Moreira
  Cc: Bernt Hansen, Matt Lundin, Emacs-orgmode

If I understand correctly, there's no hack, it's just what remember does
(sets the bookmark) to implement org-remember-goto-last-stored.  Cool.

@ 2010-06-10 21:22         ` Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2010-06-10 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Bastien,

Bastien wrote:
> Darlan Cavalcante Moreira <darcamo-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:
>
>> Whenever I use remember or refile a subtree org-mode automatically sets the
>> bookmarks "org-refile-last-stored" and
>> "org-remember-last-stored". Therefore I can use the standard emacs bookmark
>> system for that ("C-x r l" to list all bookmarks).
>
> Nice.  Could you explain more into details how do you automatically
> create the bookmark?
>
> This could go in Worg:

This is automatically done. Did not know about this, but yes it's there (in
the bookmark list, when `C-x r l'), without having set anything special.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban

* Re: Re: visiting the last node filed from Remember buffer
@ 2010-06-10 23:10           ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2010-06-10 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Sébastien Vauban <wxhgmqzgwmuf@spammotel.com> writes:

>> This could go in Worg:
>
> This is automatically done. Did not know about this, but yes it's there (in
> the bookmark list, when `C-x r l'), without having set anything special.

Aaarrgh!   I *love* Org.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Re: visiting the last node filed from Remember buffer
@ 2010-06-11  8:30           ` Darlan Cavalcante Moreira
From: Darlan Cavalcante Moreira @ 2010-06-11  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Olstad; +Cc: Bernt Hansen, Emacs-orgmode, Matt Lundin, Bastien

Exactly. I never had to change anything for this. I use the bookmark system
regularly and "one day" I realised that org-mode was setting these
bookmarks automatically for me.

--
Darlan

@ 2010-06-11 11:46             ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-06-11 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bastien.guerry@wikimedia.fr> writes:

> Sébastien Vauban <wxhgmqzgwmuf@spammotel.com> writes:
>
>>> This could go in Worg:
>>
>> This is automatically done. Did not know about this, but yes it's there (in
>> the bookmark list, when `C-x r l'), without having set anything special.
>
> Aaarrgh!   I *love* Org.

Cool. It really is by programmers for programmers and any one else might
apply;) Similarly C-c C-x C-j jumps to last clocked item if nothing is
being currently clocked. Little things....!

* Re: visiting the last node filed from Remember buffer
@ 2010-06-11 13:05             ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2010-06-11 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bastien.guerry@wikimedia.fr> writes:

> Sébastien Vauban <wxhgmqzgwmuf@spammotel.com> writes:
>
>>> This could go in Worg:
>>
>> This is automatically done. Did not know about this, but yes it's there (in
>> the bookmark list, when `C-x r l'), without having set anything special.
>
> Aaarrgh!   I *love* Org.

Very nice, i have just added a key "O" to filter only these two
bookmarks in bookmark-extensions.el
http://mercurial.intuxication.org/hg/emacs-bookmark-extension/

So when you hit "O" from the bookmark list (C-x r l) you have that:

,----
`----

--
Thierry Volpiatto
Gpg key: http://pgp.mit.edu/

* Re: visiting the last node filed from Remember buffer
@ 2010-06-11 13:36               ` Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2010-06-11 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Am 11.06.2010 13:46, schrieb Richard Riley:
> Bastien <bastien.guerry@wikimedia.fr> writes:

>>> This is automatically done. Did not know about this, but yes it's there (in
>>> the bookmark list, when `C-x r l'), without having set anything special.
>>
>> Aaarrgh!   I *love* Org.
>
> Cool. It really is by programmers for programmers and any one else might
> apply;) Similarly C-c C-x C-j jumps to last clocked item if nothing is
> being currently clocked. Little things....!

amazing little thing - didn't know these ones too.
Org is so lovely - could play with it all day - if only the todos would not have to be done ...

Rainer

* Re: Re: visiting the last node filed from Remember buffer
@ 2010-06-11 13:50                 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2010-06-11 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Stengele; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Rainer Stengele <rainer.stengele@diplan.de> writes:

> Org is so lovely - could play with it all day - if only the todos
> would not have to be done ...

Mhh...  I think I've found a behavioral pattern for people on this list:
proactive people who find kinda compensation in fiddling with their task
management system (TMS).

Working with the systematic help of a TMS would be boring if we were not
allowed to play with it :)

--
 Bastien