emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Agenda to iCal not working
@ 2015-10-21 13:46 Ken Mankoff
From: Ken Mankoff @ 2015-10-21 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

I'm using the examples from https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/org/Exporting-Agenda-Views.html

Specifically,

(setq org-agenda-custom-commands
      '(("X" agenda "" nil ("agenda.html" "agenda.ps"))
        ("Y" alltodo "" nil ("todo.html" "todo.txt" "todo.ps"))
        ("h" "Agenda and Home-related tasks"
         ((agenda "")
          (tags-todo "home")
          (tags "garden"))
         nil
         ("~/views/home.html"))
        ("o" "Agenda and Office-related tasks"
         ((agenda)
          (tags-todo "work")
          (tags "office"))
         nil
         ("~/views/office.ps" "~/calendars/office.ics"))))

But the HTML, PS, and ICS files are not being created. If I'm visiting an Org file and run (org-icalendar-export-to-ics) then the ICS is generated.

Can someone offer advice why the ICS isn't generated when I generate a specific agenda view?

Thanks,

  -k.

* Re: Agenda to iCal not working
@ 2015-10-27 16:11 ` Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo
From: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo @ 2015-10-27 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Ken Mankoff writes:

> I'm using the examples from
> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/org/Exporting-Agenda-Views.html
>
> Specifically,
>
> (setq org-agenda-custom-commands [...]

> But the HTML, PS, and ICS files are not being created. If I'm
> visiting an Org file and run (org-icalendar-export-to-ics) then
> the ICS is generated.
>
> Can someone offer advice why the ICS isn't generated when I
> generate a specific agenda view?

Setting up the agenda custom commands is not related to ical
export. Have you run org-icalendar-combine-agenda-files?

--
Jorge.

* Re: Agenda to iCal not working
@ 2015-10-28  1:25   ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2015-10-28  1:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

jorge.alfaro-murillo@yale.edu (Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo) writes:

> Ken Mankoff writes:
>
>> I'm using the examples from
>> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/org/Exporting-Agenda-Views.html
>>
>> Specifically,
>>
>> (setq org-agenda-custom-commands [...]
>

>> But the HTML, PS, and ICS files are not being created. If I'm
>> visiting an Org file and run (org-icalendar-export-to-ics) then the
>> ICS is generated.
>>
>> Can someone offer advice why the ICS isn't generated when I generate
>> a specific agenda view?
>
> Setting up the agenda custom commands is not related to ical export.

In fact, it is. From the manual linked to in the original post:

"The extension of the file name determines the type of export. If it is
.html, Org mode will use the htmlize.el package to convert the buffer to
HTML and save it to this file name. If the extension is .ps,
ps-print-buffer-with-faces is used to produce Postscript output. If the
extension is .ics, iCalendar export is run export over all files that
were used to construct the agenda, and limit the export to entries
listed in the agenda. Any other extension produces a plain ASCII file."

Matt

* Re: Agenda to iCal not working
@ 2015-10-28 16:05     ` Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo
From: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo @ 2015-10-28 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Matt Lundin writes:

> Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo writes:
>
>> Ken Mankoff writes:
>>
>>> I'm using the examples from
>>> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/org/Exporting-Agenda-Views.html
>>>
>>> Specifically,
>>>
>>> (setq org-agenda-custom-commands [...]
>>

>>> But the HTML, PS, and ICS files are not being created. If I'm
>>> visiting an Org file and run (org-icalendar-export-to-ics)
>>> then the ICS is generated.
>>>
>>> Can someone offer advice why the ICS isn't generated when I
>>> generate a specific agenda view?
>>
>> Setting up the agenda custom commands is not related to ical
>> export.
>
> In fact, it is.

Yes, sorry what I meant to say is that that alone does not produce
the files. You have to use org-store-agenda-views (C-c a e) from
the agenda view or export directly using