emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* exporting from org-mode to latex
@ 2015-11-10  3:20 Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2015-11-10  3:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode-email

I'm having a strange problem with exporting from org-mode to latex using
the latex back-end. When the file that I've written is exported to latex
and I look at the tex file that is created, I see that it has one
"\usepackage{grffile}" that I didn't place in my list to be included. In
fact, I'd never even heard of it until I read it there, but I can't find
where its picking that particular "\usepackage" from! I've searched my
"init.org" and its not listed anywhere there, its not listed in the
org-mode manual, so where is it picking it from then please?

On a slightly related note, how can I get packages that I want to be
used, to be listed in the latex document preamble please? Specifically
"imakeidx" to help in generating an index?

Aside from those two difficulties its working very well, and writing the
first draft in org-mode seems easier than writing it straight into
latex!

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian 8.0, fluxbox 1.3.7, emacs 24.5.1

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: exporting from org-mode to latex
@ 2015-11-10  3:52 ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2015-11-10  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: org-mode-email

Aloha Sharone
Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

> I'm having a strange problem with exporting from org-mode to latex using
> the latex back-end. When the file that I've written is exported to latex
> and I look at the tex file that is created, I see that it has one
> "\usepackage{grffile}" that I didn't place in my list to be included. In
> fact, I'd never even heard of it until I read it there, but I can't find
> where its picking that particular "\usepackage" from! I've searched my
> "init.org" and its not listed anywhere there, its not listed in the
> org-mode manual, so where is it picking it from then please?

That's in org.el.  I think it's new.

> On a slightly related note, how can I get packages that I want to be
> used, to be listed in the latex document preamble please? Specifically
> "imakeidx" to help in generating an index?

See org-latex-packages-alist.

   (add-to-list 'org-latex-packages-alist '("" "imakeidx"))

> Aside from those two difficulties its working very well, and writing the
> first draft in org-mode seems easier than writing it straight into
> latex!

Ditto, I find the lightweight markup in Org mode liberating.

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: exporting from org-mode to latex
@ 2015-11-10  3:55 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2015-11-10  3:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

> I'm having a strange problem with exporting from org-mode to latex using
> the latex back-end. When the file that I've written is exported to latex
> and I look at the tex file that is created, I see that it has one
> "\usepackage{grffile}" that I didn't place in my list to be included. In
> fact, I'd never even heard of it until I read it there, but I can't find
> where its picking that particular "\usepackage" from! I've searched my
> "init.org" and its not listed anywhere there, its not listed in the
> org-mode manual, so where is it picking it from then please?

C-h v org-latex-default-packages-alist RET

> On a slightly related note, how can I get packages that I want to be
> used, to be listed in the latex document preamble please? Specifically
> "imakeidx" to help in generating an index?

C-h v org-latex-packages-alist RET

--
Nick

* Re: exporting from org-mode to latex
@ 2015-11-10  3:55 ` Josiah Schwab
From: Josiah Schwab @ 2015-11-10  3:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: org-mode-email

Hi Sharon,

> I'm having a strange problem with exporting from org-mode to latex using
> the latex back-end. When the file that I've written is exported to latex
> and I look at the tex file that is created, I see that it has one
> "\usepackage{grffile}" that I didn't place in my list to be included. In
> fact, I'd never even heard of it until I read it there, but I can't find
> where its picking that particular "\usepackage" from! I've searched my
> "init.org" and its not listed anywhere there, its not listed in the
> org-mode manual, so where is it picking it from then please?

The following information should help clarify things.

,----[ C-h v org-latex-default-packages-alist RET ]
| org-latex-default-packages-alist is a variable defined in `org.el'.
| Its value is shown below.
|
| Documentation:
| Alist of default packages to be inserted in the header.
|
| Change this only if one of the packages here causes an
| incompatibility with another package you are using.
|
| The packages in this list are needed by one part or another of
| Org mode to function properly:
|
| - inputenc, fontenc:  for basic font and character selection
| - fixltx2e: Important patches of LaTeX itself
| - graphicx: for including images
| - grffile: allow periods and spaces in graphics file names
| - longtable: For multipage tables
| - wrapfig: for figure placement
| - rotating: for sideways figures and tables
| - ulem: for underline and strike-through
| - amsmath: for subscript and superscript and math environments
| - textcomp, amssymb: for various symbols used
|   for interpreting the entities in `org-entities'.  You can skip
|   some of these packages if you don't use any of their symbols.
| - capt-of: for captions outside of floats
| - hyperref: for cross references
|
| Therefore you should not modify this variable unless you know
| what you are doing.  The one reason to change it anyway is that
| you might be loading some other package that conflicts with one
| of the default packages.  Each element is either a cell or
| a string.
|
| A cell is of the format
|
|   ("options" "package" SNIPPET-FLAG)
|
| If SNIPPET-FLAG is non-nil, the package also needs to be included
| when compiling LaTeX snippets into images for inclusion into
| non-LaTeX output.
|
| A string will be inserted as-is in the header of the document.
|
| You can customize this variable.
|
| This variable was introduced, or its default value was changed, in
| version 25.1 of Emacs.
`----

Best,
Josiah