emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* [org-contacts] How to show avatar image on org headings?
@ 2018-05-07  2:00 stardiviner
From: stardiviner @ 2018-05-07  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

I want to show org-contacts avatar image on org-headings.
Use overlay, or there is other better methods?

A sample org-contacts snippet looks like this:

* [] John KK
:PROPERTIES:
:AVATAR: john kk.jpg []
:END:

I want to display the image at [] on heading, or replace "john kk.jpg"
with [] image.

BTW, another question, how to get property's value? and how to iterate
on all heading elements then auto display image when open Contacts.org
file?

--
[ stardiviner ] don't need to convince with trends.
       Blog: https://stardiviner.github.io/

* Re: [org-contacts] How to show avatar image on org headings?
@ 2018-05-08  2:57 ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2018-05-08  2:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: numbchild; +Cc: org-mode

you might find this
http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu/blog/2016/03/21/Displaying-image-overlays-on-image-filenames-in-Emacs/
potentially useful for what you want.

--
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F

@ 2018-05-09 13:31   ` stardiviner
From: stardiviner @ 2018-05-09 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin; +Cc: org-mode

Hi, Kitchin, thanks for your sharing. Following your code example, I did
small modification to use on my case.

Here is my code:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(defvar image-overlay-re (concat
                          ":ICON:"
                          "\\(?3:'\\|\"\\)\\(?1:.*\\."
                          (regexp-opt '("png" "PNG"
                                        "jpg" "jpeg" "JPG" "JPEG"
                                        "gif" "GIF"
                                        "eps" "EPS"))
                          "\\)\\(?:\\3\\)")
  "Regexp to match image filenames in quotes")

(defun org-contacts-icon-property-image-overlay (&optional limit)
  (when (re-search-forward image-overlay-re limit t)
    (let ((beg (match-beginning 0))
          (end (match-end 0))
          (image-file (match-string 1)))
      (when (file-exists-p image-file)
        (setq org-contacts-icon-property-iimage (create-image (expand-file-name image-file)
                                                              'imagemagick nil :width 300))
        (setq org-contacts-icon-property-image-overlay (make-overlay beg end))
        (overlay-put org-contacts-icon-property-image-overlay 'display image)
        (overlay-put org-contacts-icon-property-image-overlay 'face 'default)
        (overlay-put org-contacts-icon-property-image-overlay 'org-image-overlay t)
        (overlay-put org-contacts-icon-property-image-overlay 'modification-hooks
                     (list 'org-display-inline-remove-overlay))))))

(font-lock-add-keywords
 nil
 '((org-contacts-icon-property-image-overlay (0 'font-lock-keyword-face t)))
 t)
#+end_src

But when I evaluate upper code, and re-enable org-mode on Contacts.org
file. The :ICON: property value "John.png" is not displayed as image. Is
there something wrong?

I choose to use overlay to auto display image when open org-contacts
file.

--

@ 2018-05-09 14:03   ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2018-05-09 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stardiviner; +Cc: org-mode

there are a couple of typos in your code, and the regexp doesn't seem to
match the property you want for some reason.

This seems to do what you want.

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(defun org-contacts-icon-property-image-overlay (&optional limit)
  (when (re-search-forward org-heading-regexp limit t)
    (let ((beg (match-beginning 0))
          (end (match-end 0))
          (image-file (org-entry-get nil "ICON"))
  org-contacts-icon-property-image
  org-contacts-icon-property-image-overlay)
      (when (and (not (ov-at beg)) (file-exists-p image-file))
        (setq org-contacts-icon-property-image (create-image
(expand-file-name image-file)
     'imagemagick nil :width 100))
        (setq org-contacts-icon-property-image-overlay (make-overlay beg (+
1 beg)))
(overlay-put org-contacts-icon-property-image-overlay 'before-string
(propertize " "
                    'display org-contacts-icon-property-image))
        (overlay-put org-contacts-icon-property-image-overlay
'org-image-overlay t)
        (overlay-put org-contacts-icon-property-image-overlay
'modification-hooks
                     (list 'org-display-inline-remove-overlay))))))

(font-lock-add-keywords
 nil
 '((org-contacts-icon-property-image-overlay (0 'font-lock-keyword-face t)))
 t)
#+END_SRC

John

-----------------------------------

@ 2018-05-10  1:20     ` stardiviner
From: stardiviner @ 2018-05-10  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin; +Cc: org-mode

Thanks, Kitchin!

I tried code in Emacs minimal config. But the image is
not shown. I tried to toggle Edebug on function
`org-contacts-icon-property-image-overlay`. But it is not triggered.
Don't understand why. Because `(font-lock-add-keywords ..)` not correct?
I tried to change `nil` into `'org-mode`. But still does not work.

Possible reasons:

- In your code, seems don't need KEYWORDS for`font-lock-add-keywords`.
- font-lock can't enabled on org-property because it is already
  font-locked? (don't know this neither)

I'm considering might can change a thinking direction (This is an
optional solution). Because Org-mode support inline image display for
file link:

,----
| [[file:image.png]]
`----

So I tried to use this in Org property like this:

,----
| * Name
| :PROPERTY:
| :ICON: [[file:image.png]]
| :END:
`----

But Org inline image can't display on property value. (Because inline
image require a single line, invalid in org property value position?)

WDYT?