emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Saving org-capture buffer while writing it
@ 2017-02-20 14:05 Narendra Joshi
From: Narendra Joshi @ 2017-02-20 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Sometimes when I am taking notes, I end up spending a lot of time in a
capture buffer. If I happen to switch to something else, I end up
loosing the capture buffer. I probably just kill the buffer
accidentally, or do `C-c C-k'.

Is there a way I can take backups of the buffer to a file?

Thanks,
Narendra Joshi

* Re: Saving org-capture buffer while writing it
@ 2017-02-20 14:28 ` Stig Brautaset
From: Stig Brautaset @ 2017-02-20 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Narendra Joshi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Narendra Joshi <narendraj9@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Sometimes when I am taking notes, I end up spending a lot of time in a
> capture buffer. If I happen to switch to something else, I end up
> loosing the capture buffer. I probably just kill the buffer
> accidentally, or do `C-c C-k'.
>
> Is there a way I can take backups of the buffer to a file?

Dunno about backups, but I experience this problem too. (Another
annoyance I have is accidentally hitting `C-c C-c' to tick a check box
and having my in-progress work being moved.) It can help to use the
`:immediate-finish' and `:jump-to-captured' settings like so:

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
  ("n" "Note" entry (file "Notes.org")
   (file "tpl-note.org")
   :empty-lines 1
   :immediate-finish t
   :jump-to-captured t)
#+END_SRC

Stig

--
; GNU Emacs 25.1.1, Org mode version 9.0.5

* Re: Saving org-capture buffer while writing it
       [not found] <25659941e5554877be8b42b61853d626@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
@ 2017-02-20 16:33 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2017-02-20 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Monday, 20 Feb 2017 at 14:05, Narendra Joshi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sometimes when I am taking notes, I end up spending a lot of time in a
> capture buffer. If I happen to switch to something else, I end up
> loosing the capture buffer. I probably just kill the buffer
> accidentally, or do `C-c C-k'.
>
> Is there a way I can take backups of the buffer to a file?

I believe that the capture window is simply a view into the file where
the note will be placed so it should actually be there already unless
you cancel.  It is not a separate buffer.

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 26.0.50.1, Org release_9.0.4-242-g2c27b8

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Saving org-capture buffer while writing it
@ 2017-02-20 19:31   ` Narendra Joshi
From: Narendra Joshi @ 2017-02-20 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stig Brautaset; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Stig Brautaset <stig@brautaset.org> writes:

> Narendra Joshi <narendraj9@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Sometimes when I am taking notes, I end up spending a lot of time in a
>> capture buffer. If I happen to switch to something else, I end up
>> loosing the capture buffer. I probably just kill the buffer
>> accidentally, or do `C-c C-k'.
>>
>> Is there a way I can take backups of the buffer to a file?
>
> Dunno about backups, but I experience this problem too. (Another
> annoyance I have is accidentally hitting `C-c C-c' to tick a check box
> and having my in-progress work being moved.) It can help to use the
> `:immediate-finish' and `:jump-to-captured' settings like so:
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
>   ("n" "Note" entry (file "Notes.org")
>    (file "tpl-note.org")
>    :empty-lines 1
>    :immediate-finish t
>    :jump-to-captured t)
> #+END_SRC
>
> Stig
>
> --
> ; GNU Emacs 25.1.1, Org mode version 9.0.5

Do you write your email with Org-mode? I have seen a lot of people
writing the source code blocks and surprising they are syntax
highlighted in Gnus. This makes me wonder if `org-mode' has support for
writing emails too.

Thanks for the info about new keywords. :)

--

@ 2017-02-20 21:23 ` Myles English
From: Myles English @ 2017-02-20 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Narendra Joshi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

on [2017-02-20] at 14:05 Narendra Joshi writes:

> Hi,
>
> Sometimes when I am taking notes, I end up spending a lot of time in a
> capture buffer. If I happen to switch to something else, I end up
> loosing the capture buffer. I probably just kill the buffer
> accidentally, or do `C-c C-k'.
>
> Is there a way I can take backups of the buffer to a file?

I usually just save it (C-c s) and it is saved to where it would be
saved anyway when I eventually do C-c C-c.

Myles

* Re: Saving org-capture buffer while writing it
@ 2017-02-20 22:02   ` Narendra Joshi
From: Narendra Joshi @ 2017-02-20 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Myles English; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Myles English <mylesenglish@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> on [2017-02-20] at 14:05 Narendra Joshi writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Sometimes when I am taking notes, I end up spending a lot of time in a
>> capture buffer. If I happen to switch to something else, I end up
>> loosing the capture buffer. I probably just kill the buffer
>> accidentally, or do `C-c C-k'.
>>
>> Is there a way I can take backups of the buffer to a file?

> I usually just save it (C-c s) and it is saved to where it would be
> saved anyway when I eventually do C-c C-c.
I just noticed that saving with `C-x C-s` does save the buffer. Why do
you have a personal binding for saving the buffer? Is it doing something
else?

--

@ 2017-02-20 22:05     ` Myles English
From: Myles English @ 2017-02-20 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Narendra Joshi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

on [2017-02-20] at 22:02 Narendra Joshi writes:

> Myles English <mylesenglish@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> on [2017-02-20] at 14:05 Narendra Joshi writes:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Sometimes when I am taking notes, I end up spending a lot of time in a
>>> capture buffer. If I happen to switch to something else, I end up
>>> loosing the capture buffer. I probably just kill the buffer
>>> accidentally, or do `C-c C-k'.
>>>
>>> Is there a way I can take backups of the buffer to a file?
>
>> I usually just save it (C-c s) and it is saved to where it would be
>> saved anyway when I eventually do C-c C-c.
> I just noticed that saving with `C-x C-s` does save the buffer. Why do
> you have a personal binding for saving the buffer? Is it doing something
> else?

I meant C-x C-s.

* Re: Saving org-capture buffer while writing it
@ 2017-02-20 23:01     ` Stig Brautaset
From: Stig Brautaset @ 2017-02-20 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Narendra Joshi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Narendra Joshi <narendraj9@gmail.com> writes:
>> Dunno about backups, but I experience this problem too. (Another
>> annoyance I have is accidentally hitting `C-c C-c' to tick a check box
>> and having my in-progress work being moved.) It can help to use the
>> `:immediate-finish' and `:jump-to-captured' settings like so:
>>
>> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
>>   ("n" "Note" entry (file "Notes.org")
>>    (file "tpl-note.org")
>>    :empty-lines 1
>>    :immediate-finish t
>>    :jump-to-captured t)
>> #+END_SRC
>
> Do you write your email with Org-mode?

I do! (Sometimes.) I have bound `C-c x' in message-mode to swap to
`org-mode', and `C-c x' in org mode to swap to message-mode. Mostly I do
it for the outlining, but using babel to properly indent source code
snippets is very nice too.

> I have seen a lot of people writing the source code blocks and
> surprising they are syntax highlighted in Gnus. This makes me wonder
> if `org-mode' has support for writing emails too.

It does! Obviously Org markup is already perfectly readable as plain
text emails. And if you want to send HTML emails, check out
`org-mime-htmlize' which is part of `org-mime' from org-plus-contrib
(see: http://orgmode.org/elpa.html)

Stig

--

@ 2017-02-21 11:59   ` Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2017-02-21 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> > Hi,
> >
> > Sometimes when I am taking notes, I end up spending a lot of time in a
> > capture buffer. If I happen to switch to something else, I end up
> > loosing the capture buffer. I probably just kill the buffer
> > accidentally, or do `C-c C-k'.
> >
> > Is there a way I can take backups of the buffer to a file?
>
> I usually just save it (C-c s) and it is saved to where it would be
> saved anyway when I eventually do C-c C-c.
>
> Myles

If I am going to leave a capture buffer open for a long time I just do
C-u C-c C-c, which saves the capture buffer and then switches to the
buffer where it's saved where you can continue entering text.

Ian.