emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* usage of bgein_src in 'Literal examples' section
@ 2008-06-04 22:21 Patrick Drechsler
From: Patrick Drechsler @ 2008-06-04 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I like the new feature in "literal examples" using #+BEGIN_SRC <mode>!

But how do I find which mode Emacs is using for a certain file type?

I could not figure out how to replace <mode> for simple C or CPP files.

Here is a simple C file:

int main(void)
{
	return 0;
}

I have tried different results from `M-x describe-mode' as well as stuff
like:

#+BEGIN_SRC c
#+BEGIN_SRC c/law
#+BEGIN_SRC cc
#+BEGIN_SRC c-mode
#+BEGIN_SRC cc-mode

What is the correct <mode> to insert?

The doc-string says this:

,----
|    If the example is source code from a programming language, or any
| other text that can be marked up by font-lock in Emacs, you can ask
| for the example to look like the fontified Emacs buffer(1).  This is
| done with the `src' block, where you also need to specify the name of
| the major mode that should be used to fontify the example:
|
|      #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
|      (defun org-xor (a b)
|         "Exclusive or."
|         (if a (not b) b))
|      #+END_SRC
`----

Maybe it would be nice to add something along the lines of:

You can find out the Emacs mode corresponding to your source language by
visiting a file in the particular mode and calling

`M-x <describe?-???>'.

TIA

Patrick
--
An idea is like a cup of coffee, it's not going to stay hot forever.

* Re: usage of bgein_src in 'Literal examples' section
@ 2008-06-05  0:30 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2008-06-05  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Drechsler; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Patrick Drechsler <patrick@pdrechsler.de> writes:

> I like the new feature in "literal examples" using #+BEGIN_SRC <mode>!
>
> But how do I find which mode Emacs is using for a certain file type?
>
> I could not figure out how to replace <mode> for simple C or CPP files.
>
> Here is a simple C file:

> int main(void)
> {
> 	return 0;
> }
>
> I have tried different results from `M-x describe-mode' as well as stuff
> like:
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC c
> #+BEGIN_SRC c/law
> #+BEGIN_SRC cc
> #+BEGIN_SRC c-mode
> #+BEGIN_SRC cc-mode
>
> What is the correct <mode> to insert?

This works for me:

* C Source Example
#+BEGIN_SRC c
int main(void)
{
  return 0;
}
#+END_SRC

And then C-c ' anywhere inside the block

HTH

-Bernt

* Re: usage of bgein_src in 'Literal examples' section
@ 2008-06-05  1:40   ` Patrick Drechsler
From: Patrick Drechsler @ 2008-06-05  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-orgmode

Bernt Hansen schrieb:
> Patrick Drechsler <patrick@pdrechsler.de> writes:
>
>> I like the new feature in "literal examples" using #+BEGIN_SRC <mode>!
>>
>> But how do I find which mode Emacs is using for a certain file type?
>>
>> I could not figure out how to replace <mode> for simple C or CPP files.
>>
>> What is the correct <mode> to insert?
[snip]
> This works for me:
>
> * C Source Example
> #+BEGIN_SRC c
> int main(void)
> {
>   return 0;
> }
> #+END_SRC
[snip]

> HTH

Yes, it did, thanks a lot Bernt!

Mmmh, I just have to many emacs devel versions currently on my system to
reproduce the original error at the moment...

But how do I find out which is the correct string for the Emacs mode?

Is there a `M-x describe-??' method?

Patrick

* Re: usage of bgein_src in 'Literal examples' section
@ 2008-06-05  1:58     ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2008-06-05  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Drechsler; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Patrick Drechsler <patrick@pdrechsler.de> writes:

> But how do I find out which is the correct string for the Emacs mode?
>
> Is there a `M-x describe-??' method?

I think any function ending in '-mode' would be valid

If you open a file and it automatically loads the correct mode the mode
is listed on the modeline in ()
e.g. while composing this message it's (Message MML Fly OrgStruct) as
major mode and minor modes.

There's a variable 'auto-mode-alist' (C-h v auto-mode-alist) which lists
the mappings of filenames to modes.

I have entries like this in mine:

 ("\\.txt$" . outline-mode)
 ("\\.css\\'" . css-mode)
 ("\\.py\\'" . python-mode)
etc

so for *.py files which use python-mode

#+BEGIN_SRC python
def foo():
    print "in foo"
    10

if __name__ == '__main__':
    foo()
#+END_SRC

HTH,
Bernt

PS. Sorry I didn't answer that the first time around...

* Re: usage of bgein_src in 'Literal examples' section
@ 2008-06-06 10:39       ` Patrick Drechsler
From: Patrick Drechsler @ 2008-06-06 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> writes:

> Patrick Drechsler <patrick@pdrechsler.de> writes:
>
>> But how do I find out which is the correct string for the Emacs mode?
>>
>> Is there a `M-x describe-??' method?

[...]

> There's a variable 'auto-mode-alist' (C-h v auto-mode-alist) which
> lists the mappings of filenames to modes.

[...]

Thank Bernt, this the the variable I was looking for!

Cheers,

Patrick
--
Sleep: Thing used by ineffective people as a substitute for coffee.
Ambition: A poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

* RE: Re: usage of bgein_src in 'Literal examples' section
@ 2008-06-06 11:27         ` Dominik, C.
From: Dominik, C. @ 2008-06-06 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Drechsler, emacs-orgmode

You can also load the file into Emacs and then check the value of
the variable `major-mode' in that buffer.  It will be c-mode or org-mode
or whatever.  From this value, just strig the "-mode" and you have
the value you need to use in the begin_src line.

- Carsten

@ 2008-06-07 13:44           ` Patrick Drechsler
From: Patrick Drechsler @ 2008-06-07 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Dominik, C." <C.Dominik@uva.nl> writes:

>> Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> writes:

>>> There's a variable 'auto-mode-alist' (C-h v auto-mode-alist) which
>>> lists the mappings of filenames to modes.
>>
>> Thank Bernt, this the the variable I was looking for!
>
> You can also load the file into Emacs and then check the value of the
> variable `major-mode' in that buffer.  It will be c-mode or org-mode
> or whatever.  From this value, just strig the "-mode" and you have the
> value you need to use in the begin_src line.

This also works fine, thanks for your feedback Dominik. As mentioned in
a previous mail I got a bit confused between different emacs buidls on
my machine, sorry for the noise.

Cheers,

Patrick
--
1 + 1 = 3 for large values of 1 and small values of 3. ;-)