emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* org-datetree Some Suggestions
@ 2009-11-15  8:32 Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2009-11-15  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

This is a really nice addition to org. However, I have a couple of
suggestions which I think might improve it.

At the moment dates are inserted as plain text. It would nice to have an
option to insert the date as either an active or inactive date. Perhaps
if there was a remember variable the user could simply surround it with
either "[" or "<" as appropriate. Or maybe there is a better way?

At the moment the date formats are hard coded. It would be nice if there
was a date format variable that the user could set, with some sensible
default (like the current one).

Ian.

* Re: org-datetree Some Suggestions
@ 2009-11-15 10:44 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2009-11-15 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Ian Barton <lists@manor-farm.org> writes:

Hi Ian,

> At the moment dates are inserted as plain text. It would nice to have
> an option to insert the date as either an active or inactive
> date. Perhaps if there was a remember variable the user could simply
> surround it with either "[" or "<" as appropriate. Or maybe there is a
> better way?

You can use the %U escape in any remember template, which inserts the
inactive timestamp for this item's creation time.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Re: org-datetree Some Suggestions
@ 2009-11-15 15:35   ` Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2009-11-15 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-orgmode

Tassilo Horn wrote:
> Ian Barton <lists@manor-farm.org> writes:
>
> Hi Ian,
>
>> At the moment dates are inserted as plain text. It would nice to have
>> an option to insert the date as either an active or inactive
>> date. Perhaps if there was a remember variable the user could simply
>> surround it with either "[" or "<" as appropriate. Or maybe there is a
>> better way?
>
> You can use the %U escape in any remember template, which inserts the
> inactive timestamp for this item's creation time.

Thanks Tassilo, but it doesn't do what I want. This is an example of
what org-datetree produces:

** 2009
*** 2009-11 November <- I would like to customize this format.
**** 2009-11-14 Saturday <- I would like to choose to make this a timestamp
***** Test1
***** Another Test.

Ian

* Re: Re: org-datetree Some Suggestions
@ 2009-11-15 17:44     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-11-15 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Barton; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Nov 15, 2009, at 4:35 PM, Ian Barton wrote:

> Tassilo Horn wrote:
>> Ian Barton <lists@manor-farm.org> writes:
>> Hi Ian,
>>> At the moment dates are inserted as plain text. It would nice to
>>> have
>>> an option to insert the date as either an active or inactive
>>> date. Perhaps if there was a remember variable the user could simply
>>> surround it with either "[" or "<" as appropriate. Or maybe there
>>> is a
>>> better way?
>> You can use the %U escape in any remember template, which inserts the
>> inactive timestamp for this item's creation time.
>>

> Thanks Tassilo, but it doesn't do what I want. This is an example of
> what org-datetree produces:
>
> ** 2009
> *** 2009-11 November <- I would like to customize this format.
> **** 2009-11-14 Saturday <- I would like to choose to make this a
> timestamp
> ***** Test1
> ***** Another Test.

The structure of the tree is also for parsing - in order to put in
entries at the right place, the tree leaves must be easy to find and
interpolate.

So I do want the tree the way it is - we can negotiate about what
comes after
the date, ant that can also be a timestamp or anything.

> Ian

- Carsten