emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Footnotes problem when exporting from org to org
@ 2016-05-25  2:18 Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2016-05-25  2:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I start with an org file like this:

* Foo
Footnote [fn:1]

* Bar
And another [fn:2]

* Footnotes

[fn:1] footnote 1

[fn:2] footnote 2

and do an org->org export (C-c C-e O O). In this case, I expected the
result to be more or less a clone of the original ( although in my real
workflow, there are some changes: some sections are not exported and
there is some string replacement in the result - I plan to export the
result to HTML eventually). In particular, I expected the footnotes to be
preserved but they seem broken:

# Created 2016-05-24 Tue 22:06
#+TITLE:
#+AUTHOR: Nick Dokos
* Foo
Footnote [fn:1]

[1] footnote 1

* Bar
And another [fn:2]

[2] footnote 2

Trying to export the result to HTML complains about "Definition not
found" for each footnote.

Bug? Or am I expecting too much?

Org-mode version 8.3.4 (release_8.3.4-843-gc20f51)

Thanks!
--
Nick

* Re: Footnotes problem when exporting from org to org
@ 2016-05-25  6:53 ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2016-05-25  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:

> Bug? Or am I expecting too much?

Yeah, that's a bug.  It should work now.

Rasmus

--
Dung makes an excellent fertilizer

* Re: Footnotes problem when exporting from org to org
@ 2016-05-25 16:17   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2016-05-25 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:

> Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Bug? Or am I expecting too much?
>
> Yeah, that's a bug.  It should work now.

It does.

And I learned something about the structure of org documents:
after export, the footnote definitions are at the end of each section,
rather than at the end of the document, which I previously
thought was the mandatory place.

I tried the toy example but also my "real" document: I can export the
resulting org document (at least to HTML) with no problems at all.

Thanks for the quick fix!

--
Nick