emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Org-mode and appt
@ 2010-04-16 19:47 Uriel Avalos
From: Uriel Avalos @ 2010-04-16 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all, I've been following the blog post below, to get popups for org appointments via appt.

http://emacs-fu.blogspot.com/2009/11/showing-pop-ups.html

The notifications are working fine on my system. However, I have a question about appt. I noticed (1) if two appointments are scheduled for the same time (in the same file), appt only reports the first one it encounters. It doesn't warn you about the other. (2) Say, you set appt to warn you 15 minutes before. It won't report any appointments within 15 minutes of the first appointment it encounters. Ex: say your org file is this:

* TODO Test
  DEADLINE: <2010-04-16 Fri 15:20>
* TODO Test 2
  DEADLINE: <2010-04-16 Fri 15:22>

You won't receive a warning for Test 2.

Is there any way to make appt report appointments scheduled at the same time? Is there way to fix #2?

--
--Thanks!
Uriel

* Re: Org-mode and appt
@ 2010-04-16 20:13 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-04-16 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uriel Avalos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Uriel Avalos <amscopub-mail@yahoo.com> writes:

> Hi all, I've been following the blog post below, to get popups for org appointments via appt.
>
> http://emacs-fu.blogspot.com/2009/11/showing-pop-ups.html
>
> The notifications are working fine on my system. However, I have a question about appt. I noticed (1) if two appointments are scheduled for the same time (in the same file), appt only reports the first one it encounters. It doesn't warn you about the other. (2) Say, you set appt to warn you 15 minutes before. It won't report any appointments within 15 minutes of the first appointment it encounters. Ex: say your org file is this:
>
> * TODO Test
>   DEADLINE: <2010-04-16 Fri 15:20>
> * TODO Test 2
>   DEADLINE: <2010-04-16 Fri 15:22>
>
> You won't receive a warning for Test 2.
>
> Is there any way to make appt report appointments scheduled at the same time? Is there way to fix #2?

For this particular example I get warnings for both appointments in
plain vanilla appt but the second appointment warning doesn't show up
until the first appointment time is gone and it is removed from the
list.

So I get warnings for "Test" many times, and then a single warning for
"Test 2" 1 minute before the deadline and again at the deadline.

I have no idea how to change this behaviour or if it is configurable at
all.

Regards,
Bernt

* Re: Org-mode and appt
@ 2010-04-17  9:43   ` Ivan Kanis
From: Ivan Kanis @ 2010-04-17  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> wrote:

>> Is there any way to make appt report appointments scheduled at the
>> same time? Is there way to fix #2?

> So I get warnings for "Test" many times, and then a single warning for
> "Test 2" 1 minute before the deadline and again at the deadline.
>
> I have no idea how to change this behaviour or if it is configurable at
> all.

Last time I looked at the code appt does not support multiple
warnings. It would be a good thing to add on top of my patch for
variable warning time. I got in a situation where a 90 minutes warning
clobbered a 5 minutes appointment.

http://kanis.fr/appointment-implement-variable-warning-time.html
--
Ivan Kanis