emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Meta-grouping properties?
@ 2010-06-02  9:40 Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2010-06-02  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-org

Hi all

Is it possible to define meta-groups for certain properties? For
example:

* TODO Some Task
  :PROPERTIES:
  :dowith:   PR-Group
  :END:
* TODO Another Task
  :PROPERTIES:
  :dowith:   John
  :END:
* TODO A Third Task
  :PROPERTIES:
  :dowith:   Mary
  :END:

The PR-Group consists of four people including John and Mary. So when
John is with me, I would like to be able to build an agenda view that
shows "Some Task" and "Another Task", when Mary is with me, "Some Task"
and "A Third Task" should show up.

This would be easiest if I could make org aware who actually belongs to
the PR-Group and then just filter the Agenda View for John (or Mary
resp.).

Is that possible?

Greetings,

Sven

* Re: Meta-grouping properties?
@ 2010-06-03 11:51 ` Juri Krivov
From: Juri Krivov @ 2010-06-03 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Bretfeld; +Cc: emacs-org

Hello Sven,

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 11:40 AM, Sven Bretfeld <sven.bretfeld@gmx.ch> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Is it possible to define meta-groups for certain properties? For
> example:
>
> * TODO Some Task
>  :PROPERTIES:
>  :dowith:   PR-Group
>  :END:
> * TODO Another Task
>  :PROPERTIES:
>  :dowith:   John
>  :END:
> * TODO A Third Task
>  :PROPERTIES:
>  :dowith:   Mary
>  :END:
>
> The PR-Group consists of four people including John and Mary. So when
> John is with me, I would like to be able to build an agenda view that
> shows "Some Task" and "Another Task", when Mary is with me, "Some Task"
> and "A Third Task" should show up.
>
> This would be easiest if I could make org aware who actually belongs to
> the PR-Group and then just filter the Agenda View for John (or Mary
> resp.).

I dont' think this can be done yet.  But....
I am interested in this idea.  How do you hope to define groups?  In
variable
or in buffer with special group syntax?  Should every search matching
for a name alwasy automatically always include groups, or do you think
there should be explicit call like
    +groups(John)
in tags query?
I want to lear more lisp, so maybe I will try my hand on
his idea.  Learning always goes better with project at hand.

Greetings
Juri

* Re: Meta-grouping properties?
@ 2010-06-08 19:12   ` Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2010-06-08 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juri Krivov; +Cc: emacs-org

Hi Juri

Sorry for answering so late. I have been away from the PC for a while.

Juri Krivov <jkrivov@gmail.com> writes:
> I dont' think this can be done yet.  But....
> I am interested in this idea.  How do you hope to define groups?  In variable
> or in buffer with special group syntax?  Should every search matching
> for a name alwasy automatically always include groups, or do you think
> there should be explicit call like
>     +groups(John)
> in tags query?
> I want to lear more lisp, so maybe I will try my hand on
> his idea.  Learning always goes better with project at hand.

For my purpose, groups would mainly consist of teams, i.e. real people's
names. Such teams could come into existence, vanish and change quite
frequently. So it would be best, not to always define them in a complex
Lisp expression in .emacs. I could think of buffer specific definitions
as one of the most effective possibilities:

#+METAGROUPS: (PR-Team(John Mary Sven)) (Website-Taskforce(Tom Fred Mary))

I think John's group(s) should always be matched when John is searched
for, similar to tag inheritance.

Thanks for trying (I wish I could)

@ 2010-06-10 13:31 ` David Maus
From: David Maus @ 2010-06-10 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Bretfeld; +Cc: emacs-org

Sven Bretfeld wrote:
>Hi all

>This would be easiest if I could make org aware who actually belongs to
>the PR-Group and then just filter the Agenda View for John (or Mary
>resp.).

>Is that possible?

Maybe the tutorial "Org-mode tricks for team management" by Juan
Reyero at http://juanreyero.com/article/emacs/org-teams.html can
provide a solution to the problem?  At least it sounds like a similar
problem that is described there.

HTH
  -- David
--
OpenPGP... 0x99ADB83B5A4478E6
Jabber.... dmjena@jabber.org

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 230 bytes --]

* Re: Meta-grouping properties?
@ 2010-06-13 20:59   ` Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2010-06-13 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-org

Hi David

David Maus <dmaus@ictsoc.de> writes:

> Maybe the tutorial "Org-mode tricks for team management" by Juan
> Reyero at http://juanreyero.com/article/emacs/org-teams.html can
> provide a solution to the problem?  At least it sounds like a similar
> problem that is described there.

I fear there is no solution for the mentioned idea on that site. In
fact, I had the idea of constructing meta-groups exactly while I was
implementing org-secretary for my needs after I found the mentioned
homepage by chance.

Thanks,

Sven