emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* epresent issue
@ 2013-09-27  1:50 Rustom Mody
From: Rustom Mody @ 2013-09-27  1:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi

I am trying to use epresent for presentation.
Start epresent with M-x epresent-run

I seem to need to press one more q to get out of epresenting and then that
q gets into the file.

Thanks

Rusi

* Re: epresent issue
@ 2013-09-27  2:03 ` Rustom Mody
From: Rustom Mody @ 2013-09-27  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 7:20 AM, Rustom Mody <rustompmody@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am trying to use epresent for presentation.
> Start epresent with M-x epresent-run
>
> I seem to need to press one more q to get out of epresenting and then that
> q gets into the file.
>
> Thanks
>
> Rusi

Sorry for the half-complete line:
> Start epresent with M-x epresent-run

Was meaning to write a scenario but then decided that the one line was
enough :-)

Did not include usual version stuff (I assumed that I am doing something
wrong)
so here it is

Org-mode version 8.2 (release_8.2-34-g33aded
Emacs 23.4.1
epresent downloaded yesterday

Rusi
--
http://www.the-magus.in
http://blog.languager.org

* Re: epresent issue
@ 2013-09-27  9:43   ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2013-09-27  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rustom Mody; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Rustom Mody <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 7:20 AM, Rustom Mody <rustompmody@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I am trying to use epresent for presentation.
>> Start epresent with M-x epresent-run
>>
>> I seem to need to press one more q to get out of epresenting and then that
>> q gets into the file.

I can't reproduce this problem with a recent version of epresent and
Org-mode.  For example with the following minimal Emacs invocation
(without any configuration, run from the epresent directory).

    emacs -Q --eval "(progn (add-to-list 'load-path \"~/src/org-mode/lisp\") (require 'org))" -l epresent.el present.org

This is using epresent from https://github.com/eschulte/epresent.

Best,

--
Eric Schulte
https://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte

* Re: epresent issue
@ 2013-09-27 16:28     ` Rustom Mody
       [not found]       ` <CAJ+Teoeh-EWWAhpy3tVgFCCoGYwEshgUYvcRUL1gEHKnULfCpg@mail.gmail.com>
From: Rustom Mody @ 2013-09-27 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 3:13 PM, Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com>wrote:

> Rustom Mody <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 7:20 AM, Rustom Mody <rustompmody@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> I am trying to use epresent for presentation.
> >> Start epresent with M-x epresent-run
> >>
> >> I seem to need to press one more q to get out of epresenting and then
> that
> >> q gets into the file.
> >>

> I can't reproduce this problem with a recent version of epresent and
> Org-mode.  For example with the following minimal Emacs invocation
> (without any configuration, run from the epresent directory).
>
>     emacs -Q --eval "(progn (add-to-list 'load-path
> \"~/src/org-mode/lisp\") (require 'org))" -l epresent.el present.org

I tried this (with my-path adjustments); and a just-downloaded epresent
from above link; still the same behavior

In more detail:

0. Run command

emacs -Q --eval "(progn (add-to-list 'load-path \"~/pdsw/org-mode/lisp\")
(require 'org))" -l ~/.emacs.d/downloads/epresent.el  lastLect.org
and then in emacs:

1. Start with epresent-run
The buffer changes form half-way -- ie
a. it becomes full-screen,
b the menu line vanishes but
c. the mode line is present
d. the fonts are still small

2. After than whatever key I press (including q) it becomes like a
presentation -- ie no mode-line and large fonts

3. One more q and it quits with the q appearing where point was last

* Fwd:  epresent issue
       [not found]       ` <CAJ+Teoeh-EWWAhpy3tVgFCCoGYwEshgUYvcRUL1gEHKnULfCpg@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2013-09-27 17:05         ` Rustom Mody
From: Rustom Mody @ 2013-09-27 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 9:58 PM, Rustom Mody <rustompmody@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 3:13 PM, Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Rustom Mody <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

>> that
>> >>

>> I can't reproduce this problem with a recent version of epresent and
>> Org-mode.  For example with the following minimal Emacs invocation
>> (without any configuration, run from the epresent directory).
>>
>>     emacs -Q --eval "(progn (add-to-list 'load-path
>> \"~/src/org-mode/lisp\") (require 'org))" -l epresent.el present.org
>>

> I tried this (with my-path adjustments); and a just-downloaded epresent
> from above link; still the same behavior
>
> In more detail:
>
> 0. Run command
>
> emacs -Q --eval "(progn (add-to-list 'load-path \"~/pdsw/org-mode/lisp\")
> (require 'org))" -l ~/.emacs.d/downloads/epresent.el  lastLect.org
> and then in emacs:
>
> 1. Start with epresent-run
> The buffer changes form half-way -- ie
> a. it becomes full-screen,
> b the menu line vanishes but
> c. the mode line is present
> d. the fonts are still small
>
> 2. After than whatever key I press (including q) it becomes like a
> presentation -- ie no mode-line and large fonts
>
> 3. One more q and it quits with the q appearing where point was last

Also just checked with this trivial 4-line file in case there was something
in my org file.  Still the same
--------------
* H1
** H11
** H12
* H2
-----------

I just wonder if its to do with
1. emacs version 23.4.1
2. I am using xfce not the more common gnome/kde etc
Thinking of the second because there is a kind of lag in the full-screening
of the window -- something which seems related to the window manager??

--
http://www.the-magus.in
http://blog.languager.org

* Re: Fwd:  epresent issue
@ 2013-09-28 11:51           ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2013-09-28 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rustom Mody; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

>>> I can't reproduce this problem with a recent version of epresent and
>>> Org-mode.  For example with the following minimal Emacs invocation
>>> (without any configuration, run from the epresent directory).
>>>
>>>     emacs -Q --eval "(progn (add-to-list 'load-path
>>> \"~/src/org-mode/lisp\") (require 'org))" -l epresent.el present.org
>>>

>> I tried this (with my-path adjustments); and a just-downloaded epresent
>> from above link; still the same behavior
>>
>> In more detail:
>>
>> 0. Run command
>>
>> emacs -Q --eval "(progn (add-to-list 'load-path \"~/pdsw/org-mode/lisp\")
>> (require 'org))" -l ~/.emacs.d/downloads/epresent.el  lastLect.org
>> and then in emacs:
>>
>> 1. Start with epresent-run
>> The buffer changes form half-way -- ie
>> a. it becomes full-screen,
>> b the menu line vanishes but
>> c. the mode line is present
>> d. the fonts are still small
>>
>> 2. After than whatever key I press (including q) it becomes like a
>> presentation -- ie no mode-line and large fonts
>>
>> 3. One more q and it quits with the q appearing where point was last
>>

> Also just checked with this trivial 4-line file in case there was something
> in my org file.  Still the same
> --------------
> * H1
> ** H11
> ** H12
> * H2
> -----------
>
> I just wonder if its to do with
> 1. emacs version 23.4.1

Maybe the problem here could be the Emacs version, I'm using Emacs
24.3.1.  A long while ago I remember having to hit "t" after launching a
presentation to get the large fonts which sounds very similar to the
issue you describe above.  I don't suppose it's possible for you to
switch to Emacs 24?

> 2. I am using xfce not the more common gnome/kde etc

I'm using Xmonad which is probably less common even than xfce.  I guess
this difference could also be the cause of the weird behavior.

> Thinking of the second because there is a kind of lag in the
> full-screening of the window -- something which seems related to the
> window manager??

Sorry I don't have the motivation to test under other window managers.
Hopefully an Emacs upgrade will help or there is some other workaround
(e.g., pressing "t" after calling epresent-run).

Best,

--
Eric Schulte
https://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte