emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Full-width characters break column display
@ 2018-11-01 15:54 Leo Gaspard
From: Leo Gaspard @ 2018-11-01 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Small issue I've been having with org-mode: full-width characters
(eg. 何か) appear to be breaking column display.

Does anyone know of a workaround for this?

Cheers, and thank you for making org-mode as great as I'm currently
discovering it is!
Leo

* Re: Full-width characters break column display
@ 2018-11-01 17:29 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2018-11-01 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Gaspard; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Leo Gaspard <orgmode@leo.gaspard.io> writes:

> Small issue I've been having with org-mode: full-width characters
> (eg. 何か) appear to be breaking column display.

Org tables assume a fixed-width font.  You need to use one, if such
thing exists for these characters.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Full-width characters break column display
@ 2018-11-01 18:23   ` Leo Gaspard
From: Leo Gaspard @ 2018-11-01 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou, Leo Gaspard; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

>> Small issue I've been having with org-mode: full-width characters
>> (eg. 何か) appear to be breaking column display.
>
> Org tables assume a fixed-width font.  You need to use one, if such
> thing exists for these characters.

Well, it is fixed-width, but twice the width of spaces and vertical
characters.

Using it with regular English makes it look like th
is, which I guess you'll grant me is not really usable :)

I wonder if it'd be possible to support full-width chars for CJK script?

* Re: Full-width characters break column display
@ 2018-11-01 21:25     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2018-11-01 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Gaspard; +Cc: Leo Gaspard, emacs-orgmode

Leo Gaspard <leo@gaspard.ninja> writes:

> Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> writes:
>>> Small issue I've been having with org-mode: full-width characters
>>> (eg. 何か) appear to be breaking column display.
>>
>> Org tables assume a fixed-width font.  You need to use one, if such
>> thing exists for these characters.
>
> Well, it is fixed-width, but twice the width of spaces and vertical
> characters.
>
> Using it with regular English makes it look like th
> is, which I guess you'll grant me is not really usable :)
>
> I wonder if it'd be possible to support full-width chars for CJK
> script?

The problem is that

  (string-width "何か")

equals

  (string-width "    ")

i.e, 4 characters, but both strings do not have the same length
visually.

As long as the two sexps above disagree, it seems difficult to support
this.

* Re: Full-width characters break column display
@ 2018-11-02 18:35       ` Leo Gaspard
From: Leo Gaspard @ 2018-11-02 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> The problem is that
>
>   (string-width "何か")
>
> equals
>
>   (string-width "    ")
>
> i.e, 4 characters, but both strings do not have the same length
> visually.
>
> As long as the two sexps above disagree, it seems difficult to support
> this.

Oh. OK, so now I feel stupid: I was convinced full-width chars were
twice the width of half-width chars… and it turns out the names are
treacherous, and they are actually not.

I guess this is a font / display issue then, and not an org-mode
issue.

Sorry for having bothered you and thank you!
  Leo