emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* popup org capture window on linux?
@ 2015-07-31 18:19 Xebar Saram
From: Xebar Saram @ 2015-07-31 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org mode

Hi all. anyone using a separate (or pop up style) org capture window on
linux? im looking for tips on how to bind a key that will bring up a new
emacsclient quickly with the capture window open for quick capturing of
info even when not in emacs

best!

* Re: popup org capture window on linux?
@ 2015-07-31 18:42 ` Xebar Saram
From: Xebar Saram @ 2015-07-31 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org mode

Hi. it seems like this :

/usr/bin/emacsclient -c -e '(org-capture)'

kinda works with the most annoying issue is that the window dosent close
after cpature (which is what i want). instead i get a previous buffer in
emacs. any idea how to solve that?

@ 2015-07-31 18:50   ` Ken Mankoff
From: Ken Mankoff @ 2015-07-31 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xebar Saram; +Cc: org mode

Instead of "-e '(org-capture)'", use that to load a file that does more customization. Re-bind 'C-c C-c' to close frame after invocation. Please post when you have this, I might find it useful. I have similar behavior in the "edit with emacs" web plugin which brings up an emacs frame of an HTML textbox, and then when "C-c C-c" is invoked, closes the frame and re-populates the textbox.

  -k.

@ 2015-07-31 19:29   ` Haider Rizvi
From: Haider Rizvi @ 2015-07-31 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Xebar Saram <zeltakc@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi. it seems like this :
>
> /usr/bin/emacsclient -c -e '(org-capture)'

I have the following for similar purposes:

(defadvice org-capture-finalize (after delete-org-capture-frame activate)
  "Advise org-capture-finalize to close the frame if it is the org-capture frame"
  (if (equal "org-capture" (frame-parameter nil 'name))
      (delete-frame)))

(defun make-orgcapture-frame ()
  "Create a new frame and run org-capture."
  (interactive)
  (make-frame '((name . "org-capture") (width . 80) (height . 16)
                (top . 400) (left . 300)
                (font . "Consolas-14")
                ))
  (select-frame-by-name "org-capture")
  (org-capture))

From a shell (or hotkey), you'll need to kick off:
     emacsclient -ne '(make-orgcapture-frame)'

- Haider

* Re: popup org capture window on linux?
@ 2015-07-31 19:32 ` Josiah Schwab
From: Josiah Schwab @ 2015-07-31 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xebar Saram; +Cc: org mode

Hi Z,

> Hi all. anyone using a separate (or pop up style) org capture window on
> linux? im looking for tips on how to bind a key that will bring up a new
> emacsclient quickly with the capture window open for quick capturing of
> info even when not in emacs

You might be able to re-use a bit of what I do chromium and org-capture.

https://yoshiyahu.org/computing/2013/12/16/org-capture/

Best,
Josiah

* Re: popup org capture window on linux?
@ 2015-08-01  2:51   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2015-08-01  2:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Xebar Saram <zeltakc@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi. it seems like this :
>
> /usr/bin/emacsclient -c -e '(org-capture)'
>
> kinda works with the most annoying issue is that the window dosent close after cpature (which is what i want). instead i get a previous buffer in emacs. any idea how to solve that?

You can add a binding to org-capture-mode-map (tha map that is used to
implement the C-c C-c etc behavior in the capture buffer) to a function
that calls org-capture-finalize and then calls delete-frame.

Something like this added to your .emacs should work (but it's very
lightly tested):

(require 'org-capture)
(defun my-capture-finalize ()
  (interactive)
  (org-capture-finalize)
  (delete-frame))

(add-hook 'org-capture-mode-hook
	  (lambda ()
	    (define-key org-capture-mode-map "\C-c\C-x" (function my-capture-finalize))))

> On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 9:19 PM, Xebar Saram <zeltakc@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     Hi all. anyone using a separate (or pop up style) org capture window on linux? im looking for tips on how to bind a key that will bring up a new emacsclient quickly with the
>     capture window open for quick capturing of info even when not in emacs
>
>     best!

Nick