emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Worg -- search mailing list archives on gmane?
@ 2017-08-01 15:07 Raymond Zeitler
From: Raymond Zeitler @ 2017-08-01 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

When attempting to use the mailing list search tool on Worg, the web browser
says:

"search.gmane.org's server DNS address could not be found."

Here's a link to the Worg page with the search button:

Why does it search gmane and not the archives on list.gnu.org?

After a too-long frustrating search to find a way to contact the Worg
maintainer, I finally ended up here.

About me: Returning to org-mode after a four-year hiatus, Raymond Zeitler
has been trying to catch up and re-learn his old workflow, which makes him
an *experienced* newbie.

* Re: Worg -- search mailing list archives on gmane?
@ 2017-08-01 15:23 ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2017-08-01 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > When attempting to use the mailing list search tool on Worg, the
    > web browser says: "search.gmane.org’s server DNS address could not
    > be found."

Is http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode any good?

Best wishes

Colin Baxter
m43cap@yandex.com
GnuPG fingerprint: 68A8 799C 0230 16E7 BF68  2A27 BBFA 2492 91F5 41C8

From: Raymond Zeitler @ 2017-08-01 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

When I visit the URL that you provided at dir.gmane.org, the page loads.  However, when I enter a search term in the textbox and press enter, I get the same result as before.  This is using Chrome.  Cyberfox says simply that it can't find the server. Perhaps Chrome is confusing an unresponsive server for a DNS failure.

Thank you for responding.  Apologies for reverse message quoting...

- Ray

@ 2017-08-01 18:23 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2017-08-01 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Raymond Zeitler" <zeitra@yahoo.com> writes:

> When attempting to use the mailing list search tool on Worg, the web browser says:
>
> "search.gmane.org’s server DNS address could not be found."
>
> Here's a link to the Worg page with the search button:

Gmane went down last summer, changed hands and has not been
completely resurrected yet: the nntp portion works but the
search capability is not. See

   http://home.gmane.org/

Disappointingly, there has been no update since last September.

> Why does it search gmane and not the archives on list.gnu.org?

IME, searching list.gnu.org is an exercise in frustration. I think the
hope was that gmane search would be back shortly, but that
increasingly looks like a pipe dream.

FWIW: Although I read the mailing list through the gmane newsgroup, I
did not turn off the mailing list completely: I subscribe to the
digests which I save locally. That's what I use for searching.

--
Nick

From: Colin Baxter @ 2017-08-01 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Raymond,

    > When I visit the URL that you provided at dir.gmane.org, the page
    > loads.  However, when I enter a search term in the textbox and
    > press enter, I get the same result as before.  This is using
    > Chrome.  Cyberfox says simply that it can't find the
    > server. Perhaps Chrome is confusing an unresponsive server for a
    > DNS failure.

    > Thank you for responding.  Apologies for reverse message
    > quoting...

    > - Ray

    > -----Original Message----- From: Emacs-orgmode
    > [mailto:emacs-orgmode-bounces+zeitra=yahoo.com@gnu.org] On Behalf
    > Of Colin Baxter Sent: Tuesday, August 01, 2017 11:24 AM To:
    > Raymond Zeitler Cc: 'org-mode mailing list' Subject: Re: [O] Worg
    > -- search mailing list archives on gmane?

I rather think it's the site and not your browser. When I enter a
search, I also get the same "can't find the server" error. I've tried
using eww, conkeror and firefox - all give the same error. Should have
tried it before sending you the URL! Umm, I don't really know what to
suggest next.

Best wishes,

Colin.