emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* problem with org-map-entries and the doc for export hooks
@ 2023-06-07 15:59 Victor A. Stoichita
From: Victor A. Stoichita @ 2023-06-07 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

Greetings all!

I’m trying to use the example given here in the manual for "Export
hooks": https://orgmode.org/manual/Advanced-Export-Configuration.html

(defun my-headline-removal (backend)
  "Remove all headlines in the current buffer.
BACKEND is the export back-end being used, as a symbol."
  (org-map-entries
   (lambda () (delete-region (point) (line-beginning-position 2)))))

(add-hook 'org-export-before-parsing-hook #'my-headline-removal)

However the export process hangs indefinitely emacs after evaluating this.
I have to C-g to quit.
The same happens with the newer org-export-before-parsing-functions
instead of org-export-before-parsing-hook.

Is there something else that needs to be updated for the example to work?

Regards,
Victor

* Re: problem with org-map-entries and the doc for export hooks
@ 2023-06-07 17:30 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-06-07 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Victor A. Stoichita; +Cc: Org-mode

"Victor A. Stoichita" <victor@svictor.net> writes:

> I’m trying to use the example given here in the manual for "Export
> hooks": https://orgmode.org/manual/Advanced-Export-Configuration.html
> However the export process hangs indefinitely emacs after evaluating this.
> I have to C-g to quit.
> The same happens with the newer org-export-before-parsing-functions
> instead of org-export-before-parsing-hook.
>
> Is there something else that needs to be updated for the example to work?

1. Update Org mode. I do not see any hangs with the latest stable Org release.
2. Use alternative example. The current example may not work if you have
   headings not separated by contents or empty lines.
   See https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=16f15f966

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: problem with org-map-entries and the doc for export hooks
@ 2023-06-07 20:20   ` Victor A. Stoichita
From: Victor A. Stoichita @ 2023-06-07 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Le 07 Jun 2023, Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> a écrit :

> 1. Update Org mode. I do not see any hangs with the latest stable
> Org release.
> 2. Use alternative example. The current example may not work if you have
>    headings not separated by contents or empty lines.
>    See https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=16f15f966

Thanks for the hints Ihor !

I still see the problem with org version 9.6.6 and your latest example
code.

I also checked with emacs -Q which has org version 9.6.1.

I’m testing this on the attached file.

I also see that if I set the export scope to "subtree" instead of
"buffer" the process runs as expected.

Cheers,
Victor

[-- Attachment #2: simple-org-file.org --]
[-- Type: application/vnd\.lotus-organizer, Size: 107 bytes --]

* Re: problem with org-map-entries and the doc for export hooks
@ 2023-06-08 13:22     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-06-08 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Victor A. Stoichita; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"Victor A. Stoichita" <victor@svictor.net> writes:

> I still see the problem with org version 9.6.6 and your latest example
> code.
>
> I also checked with emacs -Q which has org version 9.6.1.
>
> I’m testing this on the attached file.

Thanks for providing an example!
You encountered a bug.
Fixed, on bugfix.
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=84e5a4da5

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: problem with org-map-entries and the doc for export hooks
@ 2023-06-09  7:01       ` Victor A. Stoichita
From: Victor A. Stoichita @ 2023-06-09  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Le 08 Jun 2023, Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> a écrit :

> "Victor A. Stoichita" <victor@svictor.net> writes:
>
>> I still see the problem with org version 9.6.6 and your latest example
>> code.
>>
>> I also checked with emacs -Q which has org version 9.6.1.
>>
>> I’m testing this on the attached file.
>
> Thanks for providing an example!
> You encountered a bug.
> Fixed, on bugfix.