emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* How is C-c > and C-c < meant to be used?
@ 2007-10-22  5:27 Charles Cave
From: Charles Cave @ 2007-10-22  5:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I am writing a tutorial on org-mode and dates and was exploring
the C-c >  and C-c < commands.

I am not sure how they are meant to be used, so I am asking list
members who uses these functions?

It appears that C-c > opens up a calendar window which you can scroll
around and select a date.     Entering C-c < anywhere in the buffer
will paste that date.

I don't see applications for this. Ideas?

Charles

* Re: How is C-c > and C-c < meant to be used?
@ 2007-10-22 16:01 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-10-22 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: charles_cave; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I would agree that the use is limited.

C-c > will actually look for a time stamp at point and jump to that
date in the calendar.

C-c < is meant for people who use the calendar first to walk around
an pick a date, and then want to create a link to this date.
This can be done using C-c l to store a link and then C-c C-l to
insert it, or you can just go to the org-mode file and insert the
stamp with C-c <.  I don't know if anyone is using it - I am not.

- Carsten

@ 2007-10-22 21:08 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-10-22 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Charles Cave <charles_cave@optusnet.com.au> writes:

> I am not sure how they are meant to be used, so I am asking list
> members who uses these functions?

I'm not using C-c >, but i sometimes use C-c < : it does not only
inserts the last date you're on by navigating through the calendar
with C-c >, it also inserts the last timestamp inserted with any of:

M-x org-schedule
M-x org-deadline
M-x org-time-stamp
M-x org-time-stamp-inactive

Then my only (but not that rare) use of C-c > is when I need to update
several time-stamps to the last inserted date.

--
Bastien