emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Bounce: Bug in iCal export?
@ 2010-09-05 12:06 Guy Wiener
From: Guy Wiener @ 2010-09-05 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello everyone,
Sorry for bouncing, but I got no response, and this behavior seems to me
like a bug,

I encountered the following weird behavior: When I set the option to
the heading is still included in the description. E.g.:

* TODO do this              :tag:

Is exported as:

BEGIN:VTODO
SUMMARY:do this              :tag:
END:VTODO

Beside being redundant, it also makes the entry in a calendar application
ugly.

What I want is to see the summary without the whitespace and tag part. Can
this behavior be configured or patched somehow?

Thanks,
  Guy Wiener

* Re: Bounce: Bug in iCal export?
@ 2010-09-05 18:43 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2010-09-05 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guy Wiener; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Guy Wiener <wiener.guy@gmail.com> writes:

> Sorry for bouncing, but I got no response, and this behavior seems to me like a
> bug,

It is -- fixed now in the repo.

 Bastien

* Re: Bounce: Bug in iCal export?
@ 2010-09-05 19:11   ` David Maus
From: David Maus @ 2010-09-05 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Guy Wiener, emacs-orgmode

Bastien wrote:
>Guy Wiener <wiener.guy@gmail.com> writes:

>> Sorry for bouncing, but I got no response, and this behavior seems to me like a
>> bug,

>It is -- fixed now in the repo.

Uhh... Not really :/ It will still happens for TODO entries and
instead of `replace-regexp-in-string' we could simply call
`org-get-heading' with the NO-TAGS option.

Do you mind if I revert the commit and check in a better solution?

Best,
  -- David
--
OpenPGP... 0x99ADB83B5A4478E6
Jabber.... dmjena@jabber.org

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 230 bytes --]

* Re: Bounce: Bug in iCal export?
@ 2010-09-05 20:25     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2010-09-05 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Maus; +Cc: Guy Wiener, emacs-orgmode

David Maus <dmaus@ictsoc.de> writes:

> Uhh... Not really :/ It will still happens for TODO entries

Why?

> and
> instead of `replace-regexp-in-string' we could simply call
> `org-get-heading' with the NO-TAGS option.

Yep.

> Do you mind if I revert the commit and check in a better solution?

Absolutely not!  Thanks for asking

--
 Bastien

* Re: Bounce: Bug in iCal export?
@ 2010-09-05 20:44       ` David Maus
From: David Maus @ 2010-09-05 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Guy Wiener, David Maus, emacs-orgmode

Bastien wrote:
>David Maus <dmaus@ictsoc.de> writes:

>> Uhh... Not really :/ It will still happens for TODO entries

>Why?

The headline information is fetched again (?) if
`org-icalendar-include-todo' is non-nil (line 474) and Org creates a
VTODO entity.  Looks like the iCal export function could use some
refactoring -- I stumbled on this by accident because calling
`org-get-headline' with the NO-TAGS option didn't solve the problem
for a iCal entry with a TODO state and a tag.

>> Do you mind if I revert the commit and check in a better solution?

>Absolutely not!  Thanks for asking

Fine.  My first git revert \o/

Best,
  -- David
--

@ 2010-09-06 14:01         ` Guy Wiener
From: Guy Wiener @ 2010-09-06 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Maus; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Bastien

Do you mind sending a patch just for that? I prefer to check it without
switching to the development release.

Thanks,
  Guy

On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 11:44 PM, David Maus <dmaus@ictsoc.de> wrote:

> Bastien wrote:
> >David Maus <dmaus@ictsoc.de> writes:
>
> >> Uhh... Not really :/ It will still happens for TODO entries
>
> >Why?
>
> The headline information is fetched again (?) if
> `org-icalendar-include-todo' is non-nil (line 474) and Org creates a
> VTODO entity.  Looks like the iCal export function could use some
> refactoring -- I stumbled on this by accident because calling
> `org-get-headline' with the NO-TAGS option didn't solve the problem
> for a iCal entry with a TODO state and a tag.
>
> >> Do you mind if I revert the commit and check in a better solution?
>
> >Absolutely not!  Thanks for asking
>
> Fine.  My first git revert \o/
>
> Best,
>  -- David
> --
> OpenPGP... 0x99ADB83B5A4478E6
> Jabber.... dmjena@jabber.org
> Email..... dmaus@ictsoc.de

* Re: Bounce: Bug in iCal export?
@ 2010-09-06 14:15           ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2010-09-06 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guy Wiener; +Cc: David Maus, emacs-orgmode

Guy Wiener <wiener.guy@gmail.com> writes:

> Do you mind sending a patch just for that? I prefer to check it without
> switching to the development release.

The best is then to wait for the next release.

It's too much work for developers to commit patches *and* to send them
individually.

(You can still explore the diff on http://repo.or.cz/w/org-mode.git)

--
 Bastien

* Re: Bounce: Bug in iCal export?
@ 2010-09-06 14:18           ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-09-06 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Guy Wiener <wiener.guy@gmail.com> writes:

> Do you mind sending a patch just for that? I prefer to check it
> without switching to the development release.

Just an "FYI" : you can generate your own but clearly depends
on what version you are actually using. Assuming you have the git repo
cloned (whether running from that code or not) and pulled it at the last
release, just open up org.el in your editor and then run magit
(http://philjackson.github.com/magit/).

Do a remote pull (f) which will show all committed changes on the remote
git repo. select the one you are interested and hit enter key to give
you the diff.

You could of course also generate the diff at the git repo. Here is the diff
between the current head and the previous commit:-

http://repo.or.cz/w/org-mode.git/commitdiff/86f4ef6d1925cb482462c76ef62af6a6ce358550

regards

r.

> Thanks,
>   Guy
>
> On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 11:44 PM, David Maus <dmaus@ictsoc.de> wrote:
>
>     Bastien wrote:
>     >David Maus <dmaus@ictsoc.de> writes:
>
>     >> Uhh... Not really :/ It will still happens for TODO entries
>
>     >Why?
>
>     The headline information is fetched again (?) if
>     `org-icalendar-include-todo' is non-nil (line 474) and Org
>     creates a
>     VTODO entity.  Looks like the iCal export function could use some
>     refactoring -- I stumbled on this by accident because calling
>     `org-get-headline' with the NO-TAGS option didn't solve the
>     problem
>     for a iCal entry with a TODO state and a tag.
>
>     >> Do you mind if I revert the commit and check in a better
>     solution?
>
>     >Absolutely not!  Thanks for asking
>
>     Fine.  My first git revert \o/
>
>     Best,
>      -- David
>     --
>     OpenPGP... 0x99ADB83B5A4478E6
>     Jabber.... dmjena@jabber.org
>     Email..... dmaus@ictsoc.de

☘ http://www.shamrockirishbar.com, http://www.richardriley.net

"Learning French is trivial: the word for horse is 'cheval' and
 everything follows thusly." : quotemaster, #emacs on irc.freenode.net

* Re: Bounce: Bug in iCal export?
@ 2010-09-06 14:33             ` Guy Wiener
From: Guy Wiener @ 2010-09-06 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien, emacs-orgmode

Thanks - The GIT diff was all I wanted! (I should get to know GIT better).
Btw, when is the next release, if anyone knows?

Guy

On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 5:15 PM, Bastien <bastien.guerry@wikimedia.fr> wrote:

> Guy Wiener <wiener.guy@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Do you mind sending a patch just for that? I prefer to check it without
> > switching to the development release.
>
> The best is then to wait for the next release.
>
> It's too much work for developers to commit patches *and* to send them
> individually.
>
> (You can still explore the diff on http://repo.or.cz/w/org-mode.git)
>
> --
>  Bastien

* Re: Bounce: Bug in iCal export?
@ 2010-09-06 14:48               ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2010-09-06 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guy Wiener; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Guy Wiener <wiener.guy@gmail.com> writes:

> Btw, when is the next release, if anyone knows?

My crystal ball tells me it won't be far away from september 22th,
but I don't really know :)

--
 Bastien

* Re: Bounce: Bug in iCal export?
@ 2010-09-06 15:10                 ` Giovanni Ridolfi
From: Giovanni Ridolfi @ 2010-09-06 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Guy Wiener, emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bastien.guerry@wikimedia.fr> writes:

> Guy Wiener <wiener.guy@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Btw, when is the next release, if anyone knows?
>
> My crystal ball tells me it won't be far away from september 22th,
> but I don't really know :)

... maybe 'when it's ready' ?
;-)

Giovanni
--
Debian Rulez

* Re: Bounce: Bug in iCal export?
@ 2010-09-06 18:07             ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2010-09-06 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> writes:

> Guy Wiener <wiener.guy@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Do you mind sending a patch just for that? I prefer to check it
>> without switching to the development release.
>
> Just an "FYI" : you can generate your own but clearly depends
> on what version you are actually using.

Besides, you can just cherry-pick the single commit in question into
your local branch (I keep a local and a local-maint branch myself).  If
the changes were isolated enough, you wouldn't even get a merge
conflict.  This is best done with a GUI (I use gitk mostly), but it
isn't too difficult to do it on the command line either.

Achim.