emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Bug: Smart left single quote broken
@ 2015-09-02  9:05 T.F. Torrey
From: T.F. Torrey @ 2015-09-02  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello all,

The smart quote code has gotten a little borked, at least in HTML.

This:

#+BEGIN_EXAMPLE
He said, "You should believe me, 'cause it's 'true'."
#+END_EXAMPLE

Exports to this:

#+BEGIN_EXAMPLE
He said, &ldquo;You should believe me, &rsquo;cause it&rsquo;s
&rsquo;true&rsquo;.&rdquo;
#+END_EXAMPLE

The quote before "true" should be a left single quote, and it used to be,
like this:

#+BEGIN_EXAMPLE
He said, &ldquo;You should believe me, &rsquo;cause it&rsquo;s
&lsquo;true&rsquo;.&rdquo;
#+END_EXAMPLE

I looked at the code, but it has become more convoluted than I can
figure out in the time allotted.  Hopefully the error is obvious to
someone more familiar with it.

Emacs : GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (i586-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.16.4) of
 2015-06-28 on x86-csail-01, modified by Debian Package: Org-mode
 version 8.3.1 (release_8.3.1-190-g258966 @
 /home/tftorrey/T/org-mode/lisp/)

Best,
Terry
--
T.F. Torrey

* Re: Bug: Smart left single quote broken
@ 2015-09-02 13:38 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-09-02 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.F. Torrey; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

"T.F. Torrey" <tftorrey@tftorrey.com> writes:

> The smart quote code has gotten a little borked, at least in HTML.
>
> This:
>
> #+BEGIN_EXAMPLE
> He said, "You should believe me, 'cause it's 'true'."
> #+END_EXAMPLE
>
> Exports to this:
>
> #+BEGIN_EXAMPLE
> He said, &ldquo;You should believe me, &rsquo;cause it&rsquo;s
> &rsquo;true&rsquo;.&rdquo;
> #+END_EXAMPLE
>
> The quote before "true" should be a left single quote, and it used to
> be,

There is indeed a bug, thank you. I'm going to fix it.

> like this:
>
> #+BEGIN_EXAMPLE
> He said, &ldquo;You should believe me, &rsquo;cause it&rsquo;s
> &lsquo;true&rsquo;.&rdquo;
> #+END_EXAMPLE

I don't think we ever achieved this result. At best, we can obtain:

  He said, &ldquo;You should believe me, &lsquo;cause it&rsquo;s
  &lsquo;true&rsquo;.&rdquo;

I doubt it is possible to tell that 'cause begins with an apostrophe and
not an opening single quote without grammatical analysis.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Bug: Smart left single quote broken
@ 2015-09-02 17:37   ` T.F. Torrey
From: T.F. Torrey @ 2015-09-02 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> I doubt it is possible to tell that 'cause begins with an apostrophe and
> not an opening single quote without grammatical analysis.

Indeed. I pointed it out because it was unexpectedly doing the right thing.

Thank you.

T.

* Re: Bug: Smart left single quote broken
@ 2015-09-02 19:07 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-09-02 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.F. Torrey; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

"T.F. Torrey" <tftorrey@tftorrey.com> writes:

> The smart quote code has gotten a little borked, at least in HTML.
>
> This:
>
> #+BEGIN_EXAMPLE
> He said, "You should believe me, 'cause it's 'true'."
> #+END_EXAMPLE
>
> Exports to this:
>
> #+BEGIN_EXAMPLE
> He said, &ldquo;You should believe me, &rsquo;cause it&rsquo;s
> &rsquo;true&rsquo;.&rdquo;
> #+END_EXAMPLE
>
> The quote before "true" should be a left single quote, and it used to be,
> like this:
>
> #+BEGIN_EXAMPLE
> He said, &ldquo;You should believe me, &rsquo;cause it&rsquo;s
> &lsquo;true&rsquo;.&rdquo;
> #+END_EXAMPLE

Fixed. Thank you.

Regards,