emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Tamil unicode table column alignment
@ 2015-10-14 15:16 Shakthi Kannan
From: Shakthi Kannan @ 2015-10-14 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I am using Org-mode version 8.2.10 and GNU Emacs 24.5.1, and have the
following table in an org file:

=== BEGIN ===

| எழுத்து | பெயர்  | சொல்  |
|--------+-------+------|
| அ      | அகரம்  | அம்மா |
| ஆ      | ஆகாரம் | ஆடு  |
| இ      | இகரம்  | இலை  |
| ஈ      | ஈகாரம் | ஈட்டி |

=== END ===

The "|" are in their respective columns when I check their position
using the cursor, but, visually they are mis-aligned.

when I export to HTML the columns are neatly aligned. Is there a way
to make them aligned in the buffer itself?

SK

--
Shakthi Kannan
http://www.shakthimaan.com

* Re: Tamil unicode table column alignment
@ 2015-10-14 16:00 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2015-10-14 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shakthi Kannan; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wednesday, 14 Oct 2015 at 20:46, Shakthi Kannan wrote:

[...]

> when I export to HTML the columns are neatly aligned. Is there a way
> to make them aligned in the buffer itself?

Unlikely unless you can find a typeface for displaying tamil glyphs that
is fixed width, i.e. where each glyph takes up the same amount of
horizontal space...
--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.50.2, Org release_8.3.2-161-gd2ac25

* Re: Tamil unicode table column alignment
@ 2015-10-14 16:57 ` Michael Brand
From: Michael Brand @ 2015-10-14 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shakthi Kannan; +Cc: Org Mode

Hi Shakthi

I would recommend to read this tread:
"mis-alignment in org-tables with Tibetan characters"
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2014-02/msg00072.html

Michael

* Re: Tamil unicode table column alignment
@ 2015-10-14 17:01 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-10-14 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Shakthi Kannan writes:
> when I export to HTML the columns are neatly aligned. Is there a way
> to make them aligned in the buffer itself?

This works only if you use a font where all glyphs are the same width.

Regards,
Achim.