emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Greek symbol rendering problem in gnuplot
@ 2019-04-29  2:48 Lawrence Bottorff
From: Lawrence Bottorff @ 2019-04-29  2:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Maybe take a look at this
<https://stackoverflow.com/questions/55887260/greek-letter-pi-in-gnuplot-not-rendering>
issue,
which describes a tortured trek to find a way to get Gnuplot to properly
render Π (pi) in an output graphic. Apparently, the gnuplot package is from
2014 and doesn't handle Greek symbols. Why it will use latest-greatest
gnuplot 5.2.6 and won't render Greek symbols is mysterious. Also, when
executing an org-mode babel gnuplot block, it reports in the minibuffer
that it is using Gnuplot 3.7. However, C-c C-c in the block does start up a
Gnuplot REPL in Emacs, and output does happen -- just with garbled Greek
letters. Odder is when I put the code in a separate file with the mode
running, I can get it to render pi correctly with gnuplot-run-file -- but
not gnuplot-run-buffer. The latter is garbled, the former good. BTW, a
Gnuplot session started at the command line works with Greek symbols just
fine.

So I uninstalled gnuplot and installed newer gnuplot-mode (last updated
2017). Testing just a stand-alone file with the code with
gnuplot-run-buffer produces good results; however, no REPL in Emacs is
started and the gnuplot codeblock in an org file fails. C-c C-c produces

executing Gnuplot code block...
org-babel-execute:gnuplot: Cannot open load file: No such file or
directory, gnuplot

obviously Gnuplot in org-mode babel is meant to run with the gnuplot
package and not the newer gnuplot-mode package. But now I'm stuck without a
way to render Greek letters in a Gnuplot graphic. Something about the
gnuplot package doesn't do Greek symbols and something about gnuplot-mode
doesn't do org-mode babel gnuplot. Please advise.

LB