emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* org-drill vocabulary and question about properties
@ 2019-07-29 14:56 Gerhard Butscher
       [not found] ` <WM!fa384f8b7f257507d091606088897a6d13f2e56e737227ef2e036a835b70c7579f2959b493bb262460d406db80a2e5d5!@mailhub-mx4.ncl.ac.uk>
From: Gerhard Butscher @ 2019-07-29 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* Re: org-drill vocabulary and question about properties
@ 2019-07-31 11:44   ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2019-07-31 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerhard Butscher; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"Gerhard Butscher" <gerhard.butscher@gmx.net> writes:

> Hello, I intend to use org-drill for learning vocabulary
> (german-spanish). Does anybody know a repository of such a vocabulary?
>
> As far as I know the inner workings of org-drill are placed in the
> :PROPERTIES: section of the item. When I use :DRILL_CARD_TYPE:
> twosided then the item gets questioned some time in german and some
> time in spanish. But the PROPERTIES are still only once there. If I
> want to track the learning in both directions separately, I need to
> make two items for one word, once german-spanish and once
> spanish-german. Am I right?

Yes, the properties are shared.

For language learning, I use multi-cloze cards with
"hide1_firstmore". So:

It: [Ciao]
En: [Hello/Goodbye]

So you learn in both directions, but see the foreign language phrase
more often (assuming you are not Italian, of course).

My experience is you are better of making your own vocabulary -- since
you need to use org-drill learning to reinforce other forms of learning,
and you spend more time learning the vocab than you will writing it. The
only bits that I automate are the verb tables.

Phil

@ 2019-07-31 19:32 ` Milan Zamazal
From: Milan Zamazal @ 2019-07-31 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

    GB> As far as I know the inner workings of org-drill are placed in
    GB> the : PROPERTIES: section of the item. When I use
    GB> :DRILL_CARD_TYPE: twosided then the item gets questioned some
    GB> time in german and some time in spanish. But the PROPERTIES are
    GB> still only once there. If I want to track the learning in both
    GB> directions separately, I need to make two items for one word,
    GB> once german-spanish and once spanish-german. Am I right?

AFAIK yes.

* Re: org-drill vocabulary and question about properties
@ 2019-08-01  3:09   ` Bob Newell
From: Bob Newell @ 2019-08-01  3:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Milan Zamazal <pdm@zamazal.org> writes:

>     GB> still only once there. If I want to track the learning in both
>     GB> directions separately, I need to make two items for one word,
>     GB> once german-spanish and once spanish-german. Am I right?

I've used org-drill for both English/Hawaiian and English/Hindi, and
I've never been able to get balanced two-way drills without making
separate cards for each direction. But making card pairs is really easy
to automate.

I make a .org file with words in one direction only, semicolon separated
like this:

hindiword1;englishword1
hindiword2;englishword2

etc. etc. and then call the following elisp. (Obviously works for any
pair of languages.) The elisp sets up a two-way org drill file that does
what I want. The coding is crude and could be improved however it works,
which is something of a benefit :)

;; Make Hindi flashcards for org-drill
;; Pseudo-Two sided, English/Hindi
(defun org-make-hindi ()
 "Make Hindi flashcards"
 (interactive)
 (goto-char (point-min))
;; Process each line top to bottom.
 (while (not (eobp))
  (beginning-of-line)
  (setq frontofline (point))
  (search-forward ";")
  (backward-delete-char 1)
  (setq partone (buffer-substring frontofline (point)))
  (delete-region frontofline (point))
  (setq frontofline (point))
  (end-of-line)
  (setq parttwo (buffer-substring frontofline (point)))
  (delete-region frontofline (point))
  (delete-char 1)
  (insert (concat "** Word :drill:\n:PROPERTIES:\n:END:\n"
          partone "\n*** A\n" parttwo "\n"
	  "** Word :drill:\n:PROPERTIES:\n:END:\n"
	  parttwo "\n" "*** A\n" partone "\n"))
 )
 )

--