emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* How to get the inner boundaries of a block
@ 2023-11-27 20:27 Jens Schmidt
From: Jens Schmidt @ 2023-11-27 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

Triggered by a recent question here on `org-in-src-block-p' and a
current need: Is there a function already available that returns
the *inner* boundaries of an arbitrary block element?

For the element corresponding to the block below:

#+begin_verse
^A  foo
  bar
  baz^B
#+end_verse

that function would return, for example, the pair of positions (A . B).

Currently, I use org element properties and some combination of
save-excursion, forward-line, and skip-syntax-*, but I thought this
could be something which is available already.  A cursory search hasn't
brought up anything, though.

Thanks								Jens

* Re: How to get the inner boundaries of a block
@ 2023-11-27 20:59 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-11-27 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jens Schmidt; +Cc: Org-mode

Jens Schmidt <jschmidt4gnu@vodafonemail.de> writes:

> Triggered by a recent question here on `org-in-src-block-p' and a
> current need: Is there a function already available that returns
> the *inner* boundaries of an arbitrary block element?

Nope. There is `org-src--contents-area', but it is not guaranteed to
work as it is an internal function.

> Currently, I use org element properties and some combination of
> save-excursion, forward-line, and skip-syntax-*

This is currently the way to go.

> ..., but I thought this
> could be something which is available already.  A cursory search hasn't
> brought up anything, though.

Maybe in future. Something like
https://git.sr.ht/~yantar92/org-mode/tree/feature/org-font-lock-element/item/lisp/org-element-match.el
But not yet finalized.