emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Not getting replies from the orgmode list to my e-mail address
@ 2015-08-26 11:07 Meir Goldenberg
From: Meir Goldenberg @ 2015-08-26 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sorry for being off the main topic. For some reason, I do not get replies
to the GMail address from which I send my posts to the orgmode list.

For example, the post
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2015-08/msg01011.html got
answered three days ago, but I still do not get anything in my INBOX and so
cannot reply either.

When I press the reply button in the mail archive in the browser, it
prompts me to set up some account for which I need to know some server
names. All I want is to receive the replies to my GMail account. What do I
need to do? Thanks!

* Re: Not getting replies from the orgmode list to my e-mail address
@ 2015-08-26 11:54 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2015-08-26 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Meir Goldenberg; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wednesday, 26 Aug 2015 at 14:07, Meir Goldenberg wrote:
> Sorry for being off the main topic. For some reason, I do not get replies
> to the GMail address from which I send my posts to the orgmode list.

I am confused.  Are you subscribed to the mailing list?  If not, you may
only receive replies when people have explicitly put your email address
in the response.  Replies need not be written to go to both you and the
list.  This reply I am sending has been address to both the list and to
you but only because I told gnus to do so.  I could have just as easily
sent the reply only to the list.

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.50.2, Org release_8.3.1-176-g45abec

* Re: Not getting replies from the orgmode list to my e-mail address
@ 2015-08-26 12:03   ` Meir Goldenberg
From: Meir Goldenberg @ 2015-08-26 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Meir Goldenberg, emacs-orgmode

Ah. I did not realize that. I have just filled out the subscription form.
But how will I be able to reply to the replies that were sent to the list
prior to my subscription?

@ 2015-08-26 14:25   ` Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo
From: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo @ 2015-08-26 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Eric S Fraga writes:

> On Wednesday, 26 Aug 2015 at 14:07, Meir Goldenberg wrote:
>> Sorry for being off the main topic. For some reason, I do not
>> get replies to the GMail address from which I send my posts to
>> the orgmode list.
>
> I am confused.  Are you subscribed to the mailing list?  If not,
> you may only receive replies when people have explicitly put
> your email address in the response.  Replies need not be written
> to go to both you and the list.

I would add: and should not. Otherwise people subscribed to the
list get the message twice.

--
Jorge.

* Re: Not getting replies from the orgmode list to my e-mail address
@ 2015-08-26 14:26     ` Nick
From: Nick @ 2015-08-26 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Meir Goldenberg <mgoldenbe <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Ah. I did not realize that. I have just filled out the subscription form.
But how will I be able to reply to the replies that were sent to the list
prior to my subscription?

Visit http://news.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode
Find the mail that you want to reply and use the Actions drop down menu on
the upper right to select "Followup".
Fill in your name and email address, add your reply to the message and
respond to the Kaptcha at the bottom.

This reply is being sent using exactly this method.

Nick

* Re: Not getting replies from the orgmode list to my e-mail address
@ 2015-08-26 18:17     ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2015-08-26 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

jorge.alfaro-murillo@yale.edu (Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo) writes:

> Eric S Fraga writes:
>
>>  Replies need not be written to go to both you and the list.
>
> I would add: and should not. Otherwise people subscribed to the list
> get the message twice.

Directing a reply to somebody and cc'ing the list is common practice on
many lists, including this list and emacs.devel.  If you want to avoid
duplicates, you'll have better luck filtering on your end.  You can set
the Mail-Followup-To header, but others' MUAs might not respect it.
While I don't think this is true here, it's also worth being aware that
some lists discourage using Mail-Followup-To.  For example

  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/56264/

--
Kyle

* Re: Not getting replies from the orgmode list to my e-mail address
@ 2015-08-26 20:54       ` Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo
From: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo @ 2015-08-26 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Kyle Meyer writes:

> jorge.alfaro-murillo@yale.edu (Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo) writes:
>
>> Eric S Fraga writes:
>>
>>>  Replies need not be written to go to both you and the list.
>>
>> I would add: and should not. Otherwise people subscribed to the
>> list get the message twice.
>
> Directing a reply to somebody and cc'ing the list is common
> practice on many lists, including this list and emacs.devel.  If
> you want to avoid duplicates, you'll have better luck filtering
> on your end.

I do not subscribe with my email to lists, but using
news.gwene.org in gnus. There must be a way to check for
duplicates in two different servers, but so few people reply to
both the personal email address and the email list that I have
never found the need to look how to set that up. I just delete the
email and get slightly annoyed. I also have
gnus-confirm-mail-reply-to-news set to t not to make the mistake
of replying instead of following-up to news.

--
Jorge.

* Re: Not getting replies from the orgmode list to my e-mail address
@ 2015-08-27  3:34         ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2015-08-27  3:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

jorge.alfaro-murillo@yale.edu (Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo) writes:

> Kyle Meyer writes:
>
>> jorge.alfaro-murillo@yale.edu (Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo) writes:

>>> I would add: and should not. Otherwise people subscribed to the
>>> list get the message twice.
>>
>> Directing a reply to somebody and cc'ing the list is common practice
>> on many lists, including this list and emacs.devel.  If you want to
>> avoid duplicates, you'll have better luck filtering on your end.
>
> I do not subscribe with my email to lists, but using news.gwene.org in
> gnus. There must be a way to check for duplicates in two different
> servers, but so few people reply to both the personal email address
> and the email list that I have never found the need to look how to set
> that up. I just delete the email and get slightly annoyed. I also have
> gnus-confirm-mail-reply-to-news set to t not to make the mistake of
> replying instead of following-up to news.

I'm also reading through the Gnus newsreader. Personally I appreciate
getting replies emailed to me directly, because some of these groups are
high traffic and it can be easy to miss replies to threads.

In your case, have you tried setting the Mail-Followup-To header? Gnus
also provides the `gnus-suppress-duplicates' option, which will at least
mark the duplicates as read. That helps a bit.

Eric

* Re: Not getting replies from the orgmode list to my e-mail address
@ 2015-08-27  8:03           ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2015-08-27  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> I'm also reading through the Gnus newsreader. Personally I appreciate
> getting replies emailed to me directly, because some of these groups are
> high traffic and it can be easy to miss replies to threads.

+1.  Also it's a big help when searching for old threads.  I wish I could
to the following:

1. set a followup-like header that says to always include me.  However, I
   think followup itself might not be great since e.g. Nicolas uses it to
   exclude himself.

2. set up Gnus so that when I click F it would send copies to gmane and
   the author of the email I reply to.

Rasmus

--
⠠⠵

* Re: Not getting replies from the orgmode list to my e-mail address
@ 2015-08-27  8:56             ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2015-08-27  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:

>> I'm also reading through the Gnus newsreader. Personally I appreciate
>> getting replies emailed to me directly, because some of these groups are
>> high traffic and it can be easy to miss replies to threads.
>
> +1.  Also it's a big help when searching for old threads.  I wish I could
> to the following:
>
> 1. set a followup-like header that says to always include me.  However, I
>    think followup itself might not be great since e.g. Nicolas uses it to
>    exclude himself.
>
> 2. set up Gnus so that when I click F it would send copies to gmane and
>    the author of the email I reply to.

Next-best option is F, followed C-c C-t to add a mail response to the
sender (which warns you if they don't want it). Maybe that could be
wrapped up in a function called
`gnus-summary-followup-with-original-and-maybe-mail-author' (not really)
that would follow-up the article, then check the Mail-Followup-To header
and add a mail message if desired.

* Re: Not getting replies from the orgmode list to my e-mail address
@ 2015-08-27 15:03           ` Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo
From: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo @ 2015-08-27 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Eric Abrahamsen writes:

> Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo writes:
>>
>> I do not subscribe with my email to lists, but using
>> news.gwene.org in gnus. There must be a way to check for
>> duplicates in two different servers, but so few people reply to
>> both the personal email address and the email list that I have
>> never found the need to look how to set that up. I just delete
>> the email and get slightly annoyed. I also have
>> gnus-confirm-mail-reply-to-news set to t not to make the
>> mistake of replying instead of following-up to news.
>
> I'm also reading through the Gnus newsreader. Personally I
> appreciate getting replies emailed to me directly, because some
> of these groups are high traffic and it can be easy to miss
> replies to threads.

This is a cool trick for that:

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
  (add-hook 'message-sent-hook 'gnus-score-followup-thread)
#+END_SRC

> In your case, have you tried setting the Mail-Followup-To
> header? Gnus also provides the `gnus-suppress-duplicates'
> option, which will at least mark the duplicates as read. That
> helps a bit.

Thanks! I'll check that next time I have the problem.

--
Jorge.

* Re: Not getting replies from the orgmode list to my e-mail address
@ 2015-08-31 14:44             ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2015-08-31 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

jorge.alfaro-murillo-LrD5EImo2rg@public.gmane.org (Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo) writes:
> Eric Abrahamsen writes:
>> Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo writes:
>>>
>>> I do not subscribe with my email to lists, but using
>>> news.gwene.org in gnus. There must be a way to check for
>>> duplicates in two different servers, but so few people reply to
>>> both the personal email address and the email list that I have
>>> never found the need to look how to set that up. I just delete
>>> the email and get slightly annoyed. I also have
>>> gnus-confirm-mail-reply-to-news set to t not to make the
>>> mistake of replying instead of following-up to news.
>>
>> I'm also reading through the Gnus newsreader. Personally I
>> appreciate getting replies emailed to me directly, because some
>> of these groups are high traffic and it can be easy to miss
>> replies to threads.
>
> This is a cool trick for that:
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
>   (add-hook 'message-sent-hook 'gnus-score-followup-thread)
> #+END_SRC

(This is OOT, but) is there a way to only do that for newsgroups items
(that is, not for mails)?

Best regards,
  Seb

--