emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Anniversaries from BBDB
@ 2018-09-20 22:08 leandro
From: leandro @ 2018-09-20 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I am having troubles to get the anniversaries from BBDB to my agenda view. Following the
instruction in 10.3.1: https://orgmode.org/manual/Weekly_002fdaily-agenda.html,  I add the the the
following to my only one agenda file ("agenda.org"):

* Anniversaries
:PROPERTIES:
:CATEGORY: Anniv
:END:
%%(org-bbdb-anniversaries)

In bbdb I query "John Doe" and try C-o with cursor in the record. I get an error: Buffer is
read-only: #<buffer *BBDB*>. So I insert a new field with bbdb-insert-field and name it
"anniversary". I completed the date "09-23" to finish the process and save.
I expected to see the anniversary in my agenda view when I push C-a a.  No anniversary whatsoever.
I've tried to toggle diary: (setq org-agenda-include-diary t) without success.
I am using emacs 26.1. I've also try in a fresh emacs install with same result. Can someone help
me? Thanks.

* Re: Anniversaries from BBDB
@ 2018-09-21  6:58 ` Marco Wahl
From: Marco Wahl @ 2018-09-21  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi!

> I am having troubles to get the anniversaries from BBDB to my agenda view. Following the
> instruction in 10.3.1: https://orgmode.org/manual/Weekly_002fdaily-agenda.html,  I add the the the
> following to my only one agenda file ("agenda.org"):
>
> * Anniversaries
> :PROPERTIES:
> :CATEGORY: Anniv
> :END:
> %%(org-bbdb-anniversaries)
>
> In bbdb I query "John Doe" and try C-o with cursor in the record. I get an error: Buffer is
> read-only: #<buffer *BBDB*>. So I insert a new field with bbdb-insert-field and name it
> "anniversary". I completed the date "09-23" to finish the process and save.
> I expected to see the anniversary in my agenda view when I push C-a a.  No anniversary whatsoever.
> I've tried to toggle diary: (setq org-agenda-include-diary t) without success.
> I am using emacs 26.1. I've also try in a fresh emacs install with same result. Can someone help
> me? Thanks.

The format of the anniversary date is expected to be

YYYY-MM-DD

e.g.

2000-09-23

AFAICT.  See also variable `org-bbdb-extract-date-fun' for more
flexibility.

Ciao,
--
Marco

* Re: Anniversaries from BBDB
@ 2018-09-21 13:50 ` leandro
From: leandro @ 2018-09-21 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

HI!
That was the problem! Thanks!
In the documentation is clearly stated that we can use both formats: "...and then add the date in the format YYYY-MM-DD or MM-DD, followed by..." Perhaps this can be corrected. Also, "C-o" to insert a new field does not work. "i" would do the job instead.
Thanks again!

September 21, 2018 3:00 AM, "Marco Wahl" <marcowahlsoft@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
>> I am having troubles to get the anniversaries from BBDB to my agenda view. Following the
>> instruction in 10.3.1: https://orgmode.org/manual/Weekly_002fdaily-agenda.html, I add the the the
>> following to my only one agenda file ("agenda.org"):
>>
>> * Anniversaries
>> :PROPERTIES:
>> :CATEGORY: Anniv
>> :END:
>> %%(org-bbdb-anniversaries)
>>
>> In bbdb I query "John Doe" and try C-o with cursor in the record. I get an error: Buffer is
>> read-only: #<buffer *BBDB*>. So I insert a new field with bbdb-insert-field and name it
>> "anniversary". I completed the date "09-23" to finish the process and save.
>> I expected to see the anniversary in my agenda view when I push C-a a. No anniversary whatsoever.
>> I've tried to toggle diary: (setq org-agenda-include-diary t) without success.
>> I am using emacs 26.1. I've also try in a fresh emacs install with same result. Can someone help
>> me? Thanks.
>
> The format of the anniversary date is expected to be
>
> YYYY-MM-DD
>
> e.g.
>
> 2000-09-23
>
> AFAICT. See also variable `org-bbdb-extract-date-fun' for more
> flexibility.
>
> Ciao,
> --
> Marco

* Re: Anniversaries from BBDB
@ 2018-09-23 15:20   ` Marco Wahl
From: Marco Wahl @ 2018-09-23 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi leandro,

Thanks for your report.

> That was the problem! Thanks!
> In the documentation is clearly stated that we can use both formats:
> "...and then add the date in the format YYYY-MM-DD or MM-DD, followed
> by..." Perhaps this can be corrected. Also, "C-o" to insert a new
> field does not work. "i" would do the job instead.

I digged somewhat into the matter today.  AFAICT I removed a bug which
prevented the interpretation of BBDB anniversary entries starting with
MM-DD.  So now the feature of anniversaries without year should be
available in the maint and the master branch.

Also I rewrote the documentation; in particular the "C-o" key for BBDB
is not mentioned any more.

Thanks and ciao,
                Marco