emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Checkboxes in Agenda
@ 2010-06-23 16:05 Nick Parker
From: Nick Parker @ 2010-06-23 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Is there a way to allow checkboxes to be displayed within an agenda view?  I
am currently just seeing the root element associated to the checkboxes in my
agenda.

Nick Parker
www.developernotes.com

* Re: Checkboxes in Agenda
@ 2010-06-24  6:18 ` Carsten Dominik
       [not found]   ` <AANLkTim6Pkgds3xGQ7sHOoI8QzS4smhwEqvh0jfD7Dev@mail.gmail.com>
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-06-24  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Parker; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jun 23, 2010, at 6:05 PM, Nick Parker wrote:

> Is there a way to allow checkboxes to be displayed within an agenda
> view?  I am currently just seeing the root element associated to the
> checkboxes in my agenda.

No, checkboxes do not make it into the agenda.  You can press SPC to
see them in another window, but that's it.

Cheers

- Carsten

* Fwd: Checkboxes in Agenda
       [not found]   ` <AANLkTim6Pkgds3xGQ7sHOoI8QzS4smhwEqvh0jfD7Dev@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2010-06-24 13:33     ` Nick Parker
From: Nick Parker @ 2010-06-24 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten,

Thank you for your reply.  Was it intentionally designed to keep checkboxes
out of the agenda view or is it just that way because no one has submitted a
patch to provide that yet?

Nick Parker
www.developernotes.com

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 1:18 AM, Carsten Dominik
<carsten.dominik@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Jun 23, 2010, at 6:05 PM, Nick Parker wrote:
>
>  Is there a way to allow checkboxes to be displayed within an agenda view?
>>  I am currently just seeing the root element associated to the checkboxes in
>> my agenda.
>>

> No, checkboxes do not make it into the agenda.  You can press SPC to see
> them in another window, but that's it.
>
> Cheers
>
> - Carsten

* Re: Fwd: Checkboxes in Agenda
@ 2010-06-24 14:45       ` J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2010-06-24 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick Parker <nickp@developernotes.com> writes:

> Carsten,
>
> Thank you for your reply.  Was it intentionally designed to keep checkboxes out
> of the agenda view or is it just that way because no one has submitted a patch
> to provide that yet?
>

> Nick Parker
> www.developernotes.com
>

> On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 1:18 AM, Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>     On Jun 23, 2010, at 6:05 PM, Nick Parker wrote:
>

>         Is there a way to allow checkboxes to be displayed within an agenda
>         view?  I am currently just seeing the root element associated to the
>         checkboxes in my agenda.
>

>     No, checkboxes do not make it into the agenda.  You can press SPC to see
>     them in another window, but that's it.
>
>     Cheers
>
>     - Carsten

It seems that checkboxes in the agenda would get confusing, fast.
Unless you could tag each checkbox with it's own 'to accomplish' date, I
don't see where that feature would help me any.

Dave

* Re: Re: Fwd: Checkboxes in Agenda
@ 2010-06-24 15:24         ` Nick Parker
From: Nick Parker @ 2010-06-24 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J. David Boyd; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

J.,

The way I use them is to simply associate the root element with a scheduled
date, the checkboxes just provide a way to itemize the root task.

Nick Parker
www.developernotes.com

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 9:45 AM, J. David Boyd <david@adboyd.com> wrote:

> Nick Parker <nickp@developernotes.com> writes:
>
> > Carsten,
> >
> > Thank you for your reply.  Was it intentionally designed to keep
> checkboxes out
> > of the agenda view or is it just that way because no one has submitted a
> patch
> > to provide that yet?
> >

> > Nick Parker
> > www.developernotes.com
> >

> > On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 1:18 AM, Carsten Dominik <
> carsten.dominik@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >

> >     On Jun 23, 2010, at 6:05 PM, Nick Parker wrote:
> >

> >         Is there a way to allow checkboxes to be displayed within an
> agenda
> >         view?  I am currently just seeing the root element associated to
> the
> >         checkboxes in my agenda.
> >

> >     No, checkboxes do not make it into the agenda.  You can press SPC to
> see
> >     them in another window, but that's it.
> >
> >     Cheers
> >
> >     - Carsten
> >

> It seems that checkboxes in the agenda would get confusing, fast.
> Unless you could tag each checkbox with it's own 'to accomplish' date, I
> don't see where that feature would help me any.
>
> Dave

* Re: Fwd: Checkboxes in Agenda
@ 2010-06-24 15:42       ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2010-06-24 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick Parker <nickp@developernotes.com> writes:

Hi Nick,

> Thank you for your reply.  Was it intentionally designed to keep
> checkboxes out of the agenda view or is it just that way because no
> one has submitted a patch to provide that yet?

I guess, that's intended.  If a checkbox item is such a big task that it
deserves its own DEADLINE/SCHEDULED/normal date, then you should have
used a TODO heading in the first place.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Checkboxes in Agenda
@ 2010-06-24 16:04       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-06-24 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Parker; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jun 24, 2010, at 3:33 PM, Nick Parker wrote:

> Carsten,
>
> Thank you for your reply.  Was it intentionally designed to keep
> checkboxes out of the agenda view or is it just that way because no
> one has submitted a patch to provide that yet?

This is by design.  As Dave writes, Checkboxes have no meta data to
decide about inclusion in the agenda view.  They are meant as fine-
grained subdivision of tasks.

- Carsten

> Nick Parker
> www.developernotes.com
>

> On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 1:18 AM, Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com
> > wrote:
>
> On Jun 23, 2010, at 6:05 PM, Nick Parker wrote:
>
> Is there a way to allow checkboxes to be displayed within an agenda
> view?  I am currently just seeing the root element associated to the
> checkboxes in my agenda.
>
> No, checkboxes do not make it into the agenda.  You can press SPC to
> see them in another window, but that's it.
>
> Cheers
>
> - Carsten

- Carsten

* Re: Re: Fwd: Checkboxes in Agenda
@ 2010-06-24 16:25         ` Nick Parker
From: Nick Parker @ 2010-06-24 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Tassilo,

The root item is in fact a TODO item with a scheduled date, I have just been
using checkboxes as children of the root TODO item for tracking the
individual work items related to the TODO.  So for example:

* TODO Prepare for trip
[ ] pack clothes
[ ] print boarding tickets
[ ] turn on alarm

I suppose could swap out the checkboxes for two stars instead, I was just
asking.

Nick Parker
www.developernotes.com

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 10:42 AM, Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org>wrote:

> Nick Parker <nickp@developernotes.com> writes:
>
> Hi Nick,
>
> > Thank you for your reply.  Was it intentionally designed to keep
> > checkboxes out of the agenda view or is it just that way because no
> > one has submitted a patch to provide that yet?
>
> I guess, that's intended.  If a checkbox item is such a big task that it
> deserves its own DEADLINE/SCHEDULED/normal date, then you should have
> used a TODO heading in the first place.
>
> Bye,
> Tassilo

* Re: Fwd: Checkboxes in Agenda
@ 2010-06-24 16:49           ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-06-24 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Parker; +Cc: Tassilo Horn, emacs-orgmode

Nick Parker <nickp@developernotes.com> writes:

> Tassilo,
>
> The root item is in fact a TODO item with a scheduled date, I have just been using checkboxes as children of the root TODO item for tracking the individual work items related to the TODO.  So for example:
>
> * TODO Prepare for trip
> [ ] pack clothes
> [ ] print boarding tickets
> [ ] turn on alarm
>
> I suppose could swap out the checkboxes for two stars instead, I was just asking.

Or put a checkbox cookie in the headline

* TODO Prepare for trip [%] [/]

and it updates when you check/uncheck the boxes

* TODO Prepare for trip
  [ ] pack clothes
  [ ] print boarding tickets
  [ ] turn on alarm

* Re: Fwd: Checkboxes in Agenda
@ 2010-06-24 16:53             ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-06-24 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Parker; +Cc: Tassilo Horn, emacs-orgmode

Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> writes:

> Nick Parker <nickp@developernotes.com> writes:
>
>> Tassilo,
>>
>> The root item is in fact a TODO item with a scheduled date, I have just been using checkboxes as children of the root TODO item for tracking the individual work items related to the TODO.  So for example:
>>
>> * TODO Prepare for trip
>> [ ] pack clothes
>> [ ] print boarding tickets
>> [ ] turn on alarm
>>
>> I suppose could swap out the checkboxes for two stars instead, I was just asking.
>
> Or put a checkbox cookie in the headline
>
> * TODO Prepare for trip [%] [/]
>
> and it updates when you check/uncheck the boxes
>
> * TODO Prepare for trip
>   [ ] pack clothes
>   [ ] print boarding tickets
>   [ ] turn on alarm

Sorry this mail got sent a bit prematurely :)

* TODO Prepare for trip [0%] [0/3]

  - [ ] pack clothes
  - [ ] print boarding tickets
  - [ ] turn on alarm

* TODO Prepare for trip [33%] [1/3]

  - [X] pack clothes
  - [ ] print boarding tickets
  - [ ] turn on alarm

* TODO Prepare for trip [100%] [3/3]

  - [X] pack clothes
  - [X] print boarding tickets
  - [X] turn on alarm

You can use either the [%] or [/] (or both) cookies in a headline
As long as the checkboxes are lists it updates properly.

HTH,
Bernt

* Re: Fwd: Checkboxes in Agenda
@ 2010-06-24 17:45               ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2010-06-24 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thursday 24 June 2010 18:53:56 Bernt Hansen wrote:

Hi!

> Sorry this mail got sent a bit prematurely :)
>
> * TODO Prepare for trip [0%] [0/3]
>
>   - [ ] pack clothes
>   - [ ] print boarding tickets
>   - [ ] turn on alarm
>
> * TODO Prepare for trip [33%] [1/3]
>
>   - [X] pack clothes
>   - [ ] print boarding tickets
>   - [ ] turn on alarm
>
> * TODO Prepare for trip [100%] [3/3]
>
>   - [X] pack clothes
>   - [X] print boarding tickets
>   - [X] turn on alarm
>
> You can use either the [%] or [/] (or both) cookies in a headline
> As long as the checkboxes are lists it updates properly.

Well, but that also doesn't make the checkboxes appear in the agenda so
that you could check them off there.  I guess, that was what Nick wanted
to achieve.

But with your suggestion at least you know that there are checkboxes
below that TODO headline.  And then you can hit SPACE to check them off
in a separate buffer.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Fwd: Checkboxes in Agenda