emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Issue with dvisvgm Option for Exporting TeX Snippets to HTML
@ 2023-08-05 10:27 yc wang
From: yc wang @ 2023-08-05 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Dear Community,

I hope this letter finds you well. My name is ywangmy, and I am an avid user of org-export for exporting TeX snippets to HTML. First and foremost, I want to extend my appreciation for the hard work and dedication put forth by the developers to create such a valuable tool.

I am writing to bring to your attention a particular issue that I encountered. When I enable the dvisvgm option for exporting TeX snippets, I noticed that the displayed math environment enclosed in \[…\] is not recognized as "equations," similar to other math environments like \begin{align*}...\end{align*}, which are placed in a “equation-container” div tag in HTML. Instead, the generated SVG is simply inserted as an image like inline math enclosed in \(…\), leading to formatting disorders.

I kindly request the esteemed developers to consider modifying the org-html--math-environment-p function(if my tracking of the exporting utility is accurate) accordingly. By ensuring that the dvisvgm option (or any other options that insert TeX snippets as images) treats the displayed math environment as "equations," it would substantially improve the formatting and overall user experience when exporting TeX snippets to HTML.

Thank you for your attention, and I look forward to your valuable contributions to this matter.

Sincerely,
ywangmy

* Re: Issue with dvisvgm Option for Exporting TeX Snippets to HTML
@ 2023-08-05 13:09 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-08-05 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yc wang, Timothy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

yc wang <ywangmy@outlook.com> writes:

> ... When I enable the dvisvgm option for exporting TeX snippets, I noticed that the displayed math environment enclosed in \[…\] is not recognized as "equations," similar to other math environments like \begin{align*}...\end{align*}, which are placed in a “equation-container” div tag in HTML. Instead, the generated SVG is simply inserted as an image like inline math enclosed in \(…\), leading to formatting disorders.

We are doing major changes in our LaTeX preview code.
See https://orgmode.org/list/87lek2up0w.fsf@tec.tecosaur.net
You may consider waiting until they are complete or trying the
experimental code.

CCing Timothy, the maintainer behind the new preview implementation.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: Issue with dvisvgm Option for Exporting TeX Snippets to HTML
@ 2023-08-05 13:47   ` yc wang
From: yc wang @ 2023-08-05 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: Timothy, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Thank you for the information.
It's really impressive. Just wondering, will these LaTeX preview changes also be integrated into HTML publishing? There are many common SVG-related functionalities like automatic alignment and scaling, equation labeling and positioning, etc.

Sincerely,
ywangmy

@ 2023-08-05 14:26     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-08-05 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yc wang; +Cc: Timothy, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

yc wang <ywangmy@outlook.com> writes:

> ... Just wondering, will these LaTeX preview changes also be integrated into HTML publishing? There are many common SVG-related functionalities like automatic alignment and scaling, equation labeling and positioning, etc.

By default, HTML export uses MathJax to render LaTeX fragments.
If MathJax is not used (see org-html-with-latex), preview system is
utilized to generate formula images.

Timothy knows more about the details as he tweaked this code in his WIP patch.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: Issue with dvisvgm Option for Exporting TeX Snippets to HTML
@ 2023-08-05 16:21       ` yc wang
From: yc wang @ 2023-08-05 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: Timothy, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Understood, I'm currently trying it out. Maybe I'll post later in that thread.