emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Automatically "archive" todo-items that are DONE?
@ 2010-01-18 17:31 Greg Wilson
From: Greg Wilson @ 2010-01-18 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello, I am a new user, please bear with me.

I keep lots of TODO-lists in a file:
* project1
** DONE ...
** TODO ...
* project 2
** DONE

After a while, when the number of TODO-items that are turned into
DONE-items is high, the list gets messy and it's hard to find the
stuff left TODO.

What I would like, is org-mode to automatically move items that are
set to DONE into a second "archive"-part of the file, with mirrored
categories from the TODO-lists. Let me show you an example:
* project1
** TODO ...
** TODO ...  <-- no more TODO items here, because...
* project 2
** TODO

* project1     :ARCHIVE:   <--- ... org-mode moves DONE stuff down
here and adds tag.
** DONE ...  :ARCHIVE:
** DONE ..   :ARCHIVE:
* project2     :ARCHIVE:
** DONE...   :ARCHIVE:

This way, the TODO-lists always lists stuff that you actually have to
do, not cluttered with stuff that's been done.

Is this possible? Would it be hard?

Thank you for a very nice piece of software! /Greg

* Re: Automatically "archive" todo-items that are DONE?
@ 2010-01-18 17:41 ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2010-01-18 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Wilson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jan 18, 2010, at 7:31 AM, Greg Wilson wrote:

> Hello, I am a new user, please bear with me.
>
> I keep lots of TODO-lists in a file:
> * project1
> ** DONE ...
> ** TODO ...
> * project 2
> ** DONE
>
> After a while, when the number of TODO-items that are turned into
> DONE-items is high, the list gets messy and it's hard to find the
> stuff left TODO.
>
> What I would like, is org-mode to automatically move items that are
> set to DONE into a second "archive"-part of the file, with mirrored
> categories from the TODO-lists. Let me show you an example:
> * project1
> ** TODO ...
> ** TODO ...  <-- no more TODO items here, because...
> * project 2
> ** TODO
>
> * project1     :ARCHIVE:   <--- ... org-mode moves DONE stuff down
> here and adds tag.
> ** DONE ...  :ARCHIVE:
> ** DONE ..   :ARCHIVE:
> * project2     :ARCHIVE:
> ** DONE...   :ARCHIVE:
>
> This way, the TODO-lists always lists stuff that you actually have to
> do, not cluttered with stuff that's been done.
>
> Is this possible? Would it be hard?
>
> Thank you for a very nice piece of software! /Greg

Hi Greg,

I'm not an expert at org-mode, either, but I noticed your post doesn't
mention the agenda.  I think this is the usual way to extract the
information you want to see without the clutter of all the other stuff
you don't want to see.  There are several agendas pre-defined and a
mechanism that lets you define your own.

hth,
Tom

* Re: Automatically "archive" todo-items that are DONE?
@ 2010-01-18 17:45 ` Greg Wilson
From: Greg Wilson @ 2010-01-18 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

gosh i'm ignorant, I just found the archive stuff in the manual, sorry

this issue -> DONE