emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Best book to get from novice to guru?
@ 2017-06-13  2:00 Birnle
From: Birnle @ 2017-06-13  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear group,

Since I like to know my daily used software „by heart“ and I really
don’t want to ask too many silly questions, here’s another:

Which book (or books) do I have to read / work through to get from
Emacs/Org novice to (almost) guru? Which is/are the best in your
opinion?

I’ve seen that there is

- the *GNU Emacs Manual* from Richard Stallman
- *The Org Mode 7 Reference Manual* from Carsten Dominik and others
- *Mastering Emacs* from Mickey Petersen (www.masteringemacs.org)

Are there more? Which one is obligatory? And I know the sites

- www.emacswiki.org
- orgmode.org

and some others. All the good information is out there, but where is it
bundled in one (or two or three) book(s)?

And is it necessary to learn Lisp in order to master Emacs?

Best,
Birnle

* Re: Best book to get from novice to guru?
       [not found] <2dc830b397184a22adc6e3c6ca7d8d20@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
@ 2017-06-13  7:15 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2017-06-13  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Tuesday, 13 Jun 2017 at 02:00, Birnle wrote:
> Which book (or books) do I have to read / work through to get from
> Emacs/Org novice to (almost) guru? Which is/are the best in your
> opinion?

Much of emacs, including the various subsystems (gnus, org, calc, ...)
is documented via the info system (C-h i) inside emacs.

[...]

> And is it necessary to learn Lisp in order to master Emacs?

Yes.

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 26.0.50, Org release_9.0.7-531-g530113

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Best book to get from novice to guru?
@ 2017-06-13  9:06 ` Nikolay Kudryavtsev
From: Nikolay Kudryavtsev @ 2017-06-13  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Birnle, emacs-orgmode

The answer - all of them are good.

Emacs and Org manuals are available from inside of Emacs with every
installation. They describe out-of-box capabilities of Emacs and Org
respectively. Ideally you want to skimp through them, so you'd
understand what's available. Then you can reference them as needed.

Mastering Emacs is a tips and tricks book. It's good, but no replacement
for the manuals.

--
Best Regards,
Nikolay Kudryavtsev

* Re: Best book to get from novice to guru?
@ 2017-06-17  9:58 ` Birnle
From: Birnle @ 2017-06-17  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear group,

To sum up the two (!) answers on these foundational

# questions:

1. Which is the best book to get from Emacs/Org novice to guru?

2. Do I have to learn Lisp in order to master Emacs?

# Answers:

1. All of the mentioned books are good; read the manuals that come with Emacs and Org mode; "Mastering Emacs" is a good tips book, but no manual replacement.

2. Yes.

Thank you, Nikolay and Eric!

Best,
Birnle