emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Save-excursion that works with org visibility?
@ 2017-05-14  0:01 Nikolay Kudryavtsev
From: Nikolay Kudryavtsev @ 2017-05-14  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Is there any way to modify node visibility and then revert those
changes? In particular I'm interested in doing and then reverting
(org-content).

What follows is more details at what I'm trying to accomplish in the end.

Let's say we have nodes:
* A
** B
*** TODO С
For task node C I want to see which parent node has tag "project" and
then put it into a prefix in agenda. Here's my code:
===
(defun org-get-task-project ()
   (let ((project ""))
     (save-excursion
       (org-content)
       (while
           (progn
             (ignore-errors (outline-up-heading 1))
             (when (and (eq project "")
                        (member "project" (org-get-tags-at (point) t)))
               (setq project (nth 4 (org-heading-components))))
             (> (nth 1 (org-heading-components)) 1))))
     project))

(with-eval-after-load 'org-agenda
   (add-to-list 'org-agenda-prefix-format
                '(todo . " %i %?-20(org-get-task-project)")))
===
In the code above we have to make all headings visible first with
org-content because outline-up-heading works only on visible nodes.

--
Best Regards,
Nikolay Kudryavtsev

* Re: Save-excursion that works with org visibility?
@ 2017-05-14  1:05 ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2017-05-14  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nikolay Kudryavtsev, emacs-orgmode

Nikolay Kudryavtsev <nikolay.kudryavtsev@gmail.com> writes:

> Is there any way to modify node visibility and then revert those
> changes? In particular I'm interested in doing and then reverting
> (org-content).

If you pass a non-nil value for the INVISIBLE-OK argument of
outline-up-heading, I think that your function should work without the
org-content call.  Also, it might be worth replacing outline-up-heading
with org-up-heading-safe, which should be faster.

--
Kyle

* Re: Save-excursion that works with org visibility?
@ 2017-05-14 12:16 ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2017-05-14 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nikolay Kudryavtsev; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Is org-save-outline-visibility  what you are looking for?

Nikolay Kudryavtsev writes:

> Is there any way to modify node visibility and then revert those
> changes? In particular I'm interested in doing and then reverting
> (org-content).
>
> What follows is more details at what I'm trying to accomplish in the end.
>
> Let's say we have nodes:
> * A
> ** B
> *** TODO С
> For task node C I want to see which parent node has tag "project" and
> then put it into a prefix in agenda. Here's my code:
> ===
> (defun org-get-task-project ()
>    (let ((project ""))
>      (save-excursion
>        (org-content)
>        (while
>            (progn
>              (ignore-errors (outline-up-heading 1))
>              (when (and (eq project "")
>                         (member "project" (org-get-tags-at (point) t)))
>                (setq project (nth 4 (org-heading-components))))
>              (> (nth 1 (org-heading-components)) 1))))
>      project))
>
> (with-eval-after-load 'org-agenda
>    (add-to-list 'org-agenda-prefix-format
>                 '(todo . " %i %?-20(org-get-task-project)")))
> ===
> In the code above we have to make all headings visible first with
> org-content because outline-up-heading works only on visible nodes.

--
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F

* Re: Save-excursion that works with org visibility?
@ 2017-05-14 16:58   ` Nikolay Kudryavtsev
From: Nikolay Kudryavtsev @ 2017-05-14 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kyle Meyer, emacs-orgmode

Thanks. This removed the need for (org-content).

--

@ 2017-05-14 17:03   ` Nikolay Kudryavtsev
From: Nikolay Kudryavtsev @ 2017-05-14 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thanks for the info, this answers the topic question.

--
Best Regards,
Nikolay Kudryavtsev