emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* [ANN] Org-Mindmap (via TikZ) and Request for Help
@ 2009-11-05 17:09 Peter Jones
From: Peter Jones @ 2009-11-05 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello org-mode users!

A few months ago Leo suggested using org with tikz for generating
mindmaps.  I finally got a bit of free time last night (wife is out of
town) and put together the attached file.

Also attached is an example org file, and the output (in PDF).  I do
need a bit of help finishing this off though.  I'm not quiet sure how to
get TikZ to do a better job with the layout of the mindmap when you have
several nodes.

All the example mindmaps have only a handful of nodes, and were all laid
out by hand.

Anyone want to help me get this mindmap generator finished?

[-- Attachment #2: org-mindmap.el --]

[-- Attachment #3: mindmap.org --]

* Test Mind Map
 :PROPERTIES:
 :TIKZ_STYLE: concept color=black
 :END:
** Node One
   :PROPERTIES:
   :TIKZ_STYLE: concept color=green
   :END:
*** Node 1A
**** I
**** II
**** III
*** Node 1B
**** I
**** II
**** III
*** Node 1C
**** I
**** II
**** III
*** Node 1D
**** I
**** II
**** III
** Node Two
   :PROPERTIES:
   :TIKZ_STYLE: concept color=blue
   :END:
*** Node 2A
**** I
**** II
**** III
*** Node 2B
**** I
**** II
**** III
*** Node 2C
**** I
**** II
**** III
*** Node 2D
**** I
**** II
**** III
** Node Three
   :PROPERTIES:
   :TIKZ_STYLE: concept color=orange
   :END:
*** Node 3A
**** I
**** II
**** III
*** Node 3B
**** I
**** II
**** III
*** Node 3C
**** I
**** II
**** III
*** Node 3D
**** I
**** II
**** III
** Node Four
*** Node 4A
**** I
**** II
**** III
*** Node 4B
**** I
**** II
**** III
*** Node 4C
**** I
**** II
**** III
*** Node 4D
**** I
**** II
**** III

[-- Attachment #4: mindmap-crop.pdf --]

Peter Jones - 303-219-0226
http://contextualdevelopment.com

* Re: [ANN] Org-Mindmap (via TikZ) and Request for Help
@ 2009-11-06 16:53 ` Torsten Wagner
From: Torsten Wagner @ 2009-11-06 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Jones; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Peter,

> Also attached is an example org file, and the output (in PDF).  I do
> need a bit of help finishing this off though.  I'm not quiet sure how to
> get TikZ to do a better job with the layout of the mindmap when you have
> several nodes.

I tried the new mindmap function and it looks really nice and run flawless
on my system.
I guess for the placement of the nodes there is not much you can do.
Personaly I belive that it is at least a very difficulte task, not only to
find the required space (which might need some optimisation algorithm) but
often mindmaps should be arranged according to the content (e.g. bring
similar topics close to each other). I find it already difficult to do it by
hand.

Maybe instead of and full automatised version you could try to find a way to
define where to place the nodes within org-mode.
Furthermore, I noticed that you define standard colours in styles and
override there settings by variables given in the org-file. Since you
generate the complete tex-file, might it be possible to define the styles on
the fly. This would allow you to remove the color definition in most of the
node parameters and make the whole file less verbose.

Since you always create mindmaps you might even reduce

:TIKZ_STYLE: concept color=green
:TIKZ_STYLE: green

as for the above described placement, a very easy way to give a rough
placement command could be
:TIKZ_STYLE: green, north
with north, northeast, east, etc.
or
:TIKZ_STYLE: green, 90
whereas the number is the degree

Anyone want to help me get this mindmap generator finished?

It is not really a help but at least a feedback

Best regards,

Torsten

* Re: [ANN] Org-Mindmap (via TikZ) and Request for Help
@ 2009-11-07  1:13   ` Daniel Martins
From: Daniel Martins @ 2009-11-07  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Torsten Wagner; +Cc: Peter Jones, emacs-orgmode

One vote for inclusion of this MindMap tikz generator in the org-mode
mainstream.

Daniel