emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* exporting LaTeX to ODT with custom symbols
@ 2017-06-03 22:50 edgar
From: edgar @ 2017-06-03 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello hackers,

I'm having some issues when exporting to ODT, and I would like to know
if someone can help me. I tried my best to describe the problem in the
the attached tmp.org. I also attach a symbols.tex which has my custom
symbols.

Thank you for any help.

Edgar

ONLY AT VFEmail! - Use our Metadata Mitigator to keep your email out of the NSA's hands!
15GB disk! No bandwidth quotas!
Commercial and Bulk Mail Options!

[-- Attachment #2: tmp.org --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 2520 bytes --]

* Issue 1: custom symbols not exported
I am trying to export this to ODT without much
success (it exports well to PDF through LaTeX, and
the previews are fine).

This equation is exported correctly:
\[ a = 2 \]

This too.
\[ a = \frac{1}{2} \]

But this isn't.
\[ a = \deriv{x}{X} \]

The definition of deriv{}{} is in
the [[./symbols.tex][attached file]], and the preview seems to work
too (scale and symbol)

* Issue 2: when exported, resolution is unchanged
  I have tried to change the resolution of the
  exported image, but dvipng seems to disregard
  it.

* Configuration                                    :noexport:
  I have this configuration (I just open the
  file). It asks me if I want to apply the "usafe"
  scale variable.
** Emacs configuration
   #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :results none
     (require 'package)
     (package-initialize)
     (use-package "org")
     (setq org-export-backends '(latex odt))
     (org-babel-do-load-languages
	'org-babel-load-languages
	'((shell . t)
	  (emacs-lisp . t)))
   #+END_SRC
*** My system version
    #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
      (org-version)
    #+END_SRC

    #+RESULTS:
    : 9.0.7

    #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
      (emacs-version)
    #+END_SRC

    #+RESULTS:
    : GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.4.2)
    :  of 2015-01-11 on maritornes, modified by Debian

** Cleaning
   Before I do C-c C-e o o, I run this:
   #+BEGIN_SRC shell :results none
     rm -fr ltx{png,img}
   #+END_SRC

** General options
   - Load symbols
     #+LaTeX_HEADER: \input{./symbols.tex}

   - No table of contents
** Change the resolution of the exported equations (and previews)
   - Export (and preview) the equations as pictures
     The equation looks terrible with

     There is a decent picture with dvipng, but I
     cannot improve it (uncomment if necessary)

   - Improve the quality of the pictures (does not work)
     I just want to export; previewing with a
     different scale is an undesired side-effect
     # https://stackoverflow.com/a/20033865
     # Local Variables:
     # org-format-latex-options: (plist-put org-format-latex-options :scale 10 :foreground default :background default)
     # End:

    - This does not work either for the export (it
      does for preview):
     # org-format-latex-options: (:scale 10 :foreground default :background default)

    - I have also tried with
      M-x customize-variable org-format-latex-options

[-- Attachment #3: symbols.tex --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 414 bytes --]

% ***** Custom symbols **************
% ***********************************
% Change del operator to d (for maxima)
% http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/178946/better-automatic-spacing-of-differential-d
\renewcommand{\d}[1]{\mathop{\mathrm{d}{#1}}\!{}}
\newcommand{\del}[1]{\d{\left(#1\right)}}
\newcommand{\diff}[2]{
  \frac{\d{}}{\d{#2}}
  \left(#1\right)}
\newcommand{\deriv}[2]{
  \frac{\del{#1}}{\d{#2}}}

* Re: exporting LaTeX to ODT with custom symbols
@ 2017-06-04  9:36 ` Nicolas Goaziou
       [not found]   ` <f1e1b76e4f792631b897487b20738e67@openmail.cc>
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2017-06-04  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: edgar; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

edgar@openmail.cc writes:

> I'm having some issues when exporting to ODT, and I would like to know
> if someone can help me. I tried my best to describe the problem in the
> the attached tmp.org. I also attach a symbols.tex which has my custom
> symbols.

You may want to try tweaking `org-preview-latex-process-alist'. There is
possibly room for improvement in the UI here.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou

@ 2017-06-06 23:40     ` edgar
From: edgar @ 2017-06-06 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2017-06-05 07:00, edgar@openmail.cc wrote:
> I managed to get the special symbols by
>
> 1. M-x customize-variable org-preview-latex-process-alist
> 2. Doing [Ins] into the dvipng (or imagemagick) section
> 3. typing :latex-header in the Key: field
> 4. typing "\\input{./symbols.tex}" in the Value: field

Not working for other symbols. Sorry...

@ 2017-06-25  0:36     ` edgar
From: edgar @ 2017-06-25  0:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2017-06-05 07:00, edgar@openmail.cc wrote:
> On 2017-06-04 09:36, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
>> You may want to try tweaking `org-preview-latex-process-alist'.
>
> Thanks. This helped!
>
> I leave this in case that it may be useful to others (one thing
> worked, the other didn't):
>
> I managed to get the special symbols by
>
> 1. M-x customize-variable org-preview-latex-process-alist
> 2. Doing [Ins] into the dvipng (or imagemagick) section
> 3. typing :latex-header in the Key: field
> 4. typing "\\input{./symbols.tex}" in the Value: field
>
> I can also change the resolution of the pictures, if I manually set
> the density in the :image-converter option, but the size changes. To
> fix it, I tried by
>
> 1. adding -scale 50\% at the end of the imagemagick (convert) string
> 2. modifying the value of :image-size-adjust, and
> 3. changing the scale in org-format-latex-options
>
> , but that did not help. I don't care too much about the resolution. I
> can live with the output of dvipng.
>
> Thanks again!

For posterity (read only if you are looking for a custom answer):

I noticed that using the :latex-header option in
org-preview-latex-process-alist, disables the regular heading (created
through org-format-latex-header, may be?). It replaces the heading
(document class, packages, etc.) with whatever the :latex-header line
states. This possibly means that one could create a custom _full_ header
(with document class, any other package and customisation), and load it
by means of :latex-header to see previews and exporting to ODT. This is
just an idea. I hope it helps someone.