emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Beamer support - 2nd round
@ 2009-12-03 16:10 Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-12-03 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode Mode

Dear all,

after carefully listening to all your comments and thinking
things through more thoroughly, here is now my second attempt
to define beamer support in Org-mode.

What is described in this document should actually work on the
new "beamer" branch on our git repo - I am planning to leave the
code there until we have converged and ironed out the most
important bugs.

The philosophy is now that foremost, any not-too-deep Org-mode
tree should easily and without changes export as a beamer
presentation.  From then on, you can add meta data to improve
the presentation.

- Carsten

                               beamerdoc
                               =========

Author: Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com>
Date: 2009-12-03 17:00:57 CET

Table of Contents
=================
1 Preparation
     1.1 Special setting
2 Organization
     2.1 Sections, Subsections, and Parts
     2.2 Frames
         2.2.1 Auto-fragile frames
     2.3 Outline structure below frames
     2.4 Block-like environments
     2.5 Columns
         2.5.1 Columns without additional outline structure
         2.5.2 Columns with additional outline structure
     2.6 Embedded LaTeX
     2.7 Adding special code for BEAMER
     2.8 Overlay/action in plain lists
3 Editing support with org-beamer-mode
     3.1 Tracking of the BEAMER_env property with tags
     3.2 Fast tag selection for beamer environments
     3.3 Column view
4 Open issues
5 Example

1 Preparation
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A beamer presentation can either be the entire Org document, or a
subtree in the document.  There are a number of important settings
which should be in place to make editing the presentation easy.  For
most settings, a default is available, but you should at least define
a format for column view that will make it easy to change properties
that will be interpreted by beamer export.

1.1 Special setting
====================

If the document is the presentation, special settings for beamer
export look like this:

   #+LaTeX_CLASS: beamer
   #+LaTeX_CLASS_OPTIONS: [presentation]
   #+BEAMER_FRAME_LEVEL: 1
   #+BEAMER_HEADER_EXTRA: \usetheme{default}\usecolortheme{default}
   #+COLUMNS: %40ITEM %10BEAMER_env(Env) %10BEAMER_envargs(Env Args)
%4BEAMER_col(Col) %10BEAMER_extra(Extra)

If a subtree is set up as a presentation, the special settings can also
be in properties, to allow different settings for different
presentations in the same file:

   ** Presentation
      :PROPERTIES:
      :LaTeX_CLASS: beamer
      :LaTeX_CLASS_OPTIONS: [presentation]
      :BEAMER_FRAME_LEVEL: 1
      :BEAMER_HEADER_EXTRA: \usetheme{default}\usecolortheme{default}
      :COLUMNS: %40ITEM %10BEAMER_env(Env) %10BEAMER_envargs(Env Args)
%4BEAMER_col(Col) %10BEAMER_extra(Extra)
      :END:

The meaning of these settings are:

LaTeX_CLASS: The key to the beamer entry in
      `org-export-latex-classes'.

LaTeX_CLASS_OPTIONS: The options to be used with
      `\documentclass{beamer}'.

BEAMER_FRAME_LEVEL: The outline level that defines frames, or 0 to
      make frame definition manual.  The default is 1 (see the variable
      `org-beamer-frame-level')

BEAMER_HEADER_EXTRA: Text that will be added to the BEAMER
      document header - useful for example to set beamer themes.

COLUMNS: A format specification for column view that makes it easy
      to edit the properties influencing BEAMER export.

You can insert a template for these options with

M-x org-beamer-settings-template RET

The command will ask if these are options for a subtree or for the
file as a whole.

2 Organization
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

By default, level one headlines become frames in the beamer document.
When exporting a subree as a beamer presentation, the direct children
of the subtree head become the frames.   However, frame selection can
also be more flexible, see below.

2.1 Sections, Subsections, and Parts
=====================================

If you want to have a sectioning structure above the frames as it is
used for presentations with table of contents, use the
BEAMER_FRAME_LEVEL setting to change this.  Setting it to 2 will allow
sections, 3 will allow subsections as well.  Setting it to 0 means
that any levels above (the manually selected) frames will
automatically be section/subsection.  Finally, of you also set the
variable `org-beamer-use-parts', then level 1 will define parts and
sections and subsections will move down one level in the hierarchy.

2.2 Frames
===========

The BEAMER_FRAME_LEVEL setting governs which levels become frames.  If
that option is set to 0, then frames are only created by setting the
`BEAMER_env' property of an entry to the value `frame'.

The heading of the entry will become the frame title.  If the frame
title contains the string `\\', the line will be split at that
location, and the second half will become the frame /subtitle/.  If
you need a line break in the frame title, use `\newline' or
`\linebreak'.

2.2.1 Auto-fragile frames
--------------------------

If the regular expression `org-beamer-fragile-re' matches inside a
frame (in the final LaTeX file), the frame will automatically receive
the `fragile' option.  By default, this is the case for `verbatim'
environments, which includes all source code examples created by Org.

2.3 Outline structure below frames
===================================

The outline structure below the frame level becomes a nested itemize
structure.  You can also use plain lists to create that
structure, including ordered lists.

2.4 Block-like environments
============================

A headline that has the property `BEAMER_env' set to an environment name
will get this subtree exported with the corresponding environment,
instead of itemize.  Some environments are listed and configured in
`org-beamer-environments-default'.  Additional environments may be
defined in `org-beamer-environments-extra'.  For example, a value
`block' will trigger the creation of a block environment, while
`theorem' will trigger the creation of a theorem environment.

When it makes sense, the headline text is used in an appropriate
argument of the environment.  When that does not make sense, the
headline will be ignored.

The property `BEAMER_envargs' can contain the three kinds of
additional arguments for the environment, like "[..]" for the optional
argument, "[<..>]" for the default overlay specification for the
environment content, and "<..>" for the overlay specification for the
environment itself.  These arguments can be given in arbitrary
sequence and may, but don't have to be, separated by space characters.

2.5 Columns
============

There are several ways to create columns when exporting an Org
document as a beamer presentation.

2.5.1 Columns without additional outline structure

When an entry has a property `BEAMER_col', Org-mode will start first a
`columns' environment and then a `column' environment with the value
of the `BEAMER_col' property as width.  If that width is just a
number, it will be interpreted as a fraction of `\textwidth' --
otherwise it will be assumed that you have already specified the unit,
as in "5cm".

The column ends at the next entry with such a property.  When the
frame ends, the last `column' environment and the columns
environment will be closed automatically.

The entry that triggers the start of the column will still be normally
processes as /part of the column content/.  It can also still have a
`BEAMER_env' property, so you could make two columns, each of which is
a block environment from just two headlines with appropriate
properties.

The advantage of this setup is that no additional outline structure
has to be created and that the document still exports very well to
other backends.  The disadvantage is that you cannot close the columns
environment and insert more text below it on the same frame.

2.5.2 Columns with additional outline structure

To gain more control, you can create additional outline structure just
to make the `columns' and `column' environments.

The advantage of this approach is that you can close a columns
environment on the slide and insert text after it.  Also, Org-mode
structure editing make it then easy to move columns around.

* Making the columns environment

   A headline with the `BEAMER_env' property `columns' will create a
   `columns' environment.  The headline will be ignored.  It is useful
   to set it to something that will make sense during export to another
   backend, but will not be needed in the presentation.

* Making the column environment

   You can use a headline with `BEAMER_env' property set to `column' in
   order to create a column.  The headline of the column should then
be a
   number between 0 and 1, indicating the width of the column as a
   fraction of `\textwidth'.  If it is not just a number, it will be
   assumed that you have specified the unit yourself (e.g. "5cm").

2.6 Embedded LaTeX
===================

As is normal for Org-mode, you can embed LaTeX commands into the
text, and they will be transferred literally into the exported
document.

2.7 Adding special code for BEAMER
===================================

You can use
   #+BEAMER: this line if for beamer export only
   #+BEGIN_BEAMER
      so is this line
      and this
   #+END_BEAMER

to add special code that should be emitted only during BEAMER
export.  Code intended for the LaTeX backend will be included as
well.

2.8 Overlay/action in plain lists
==================================

For plain list environments (ordered, unordered, and description
lists) you can start each item optionally with an overlay
specification `<...>'.  If any item in the list contains a default
specification `[<...>]', this will be moved into the begin statement
of the itemize/enumerate/description environment, to provide a default
setting for the list items.  This does not look good when exporting
the same content to a different backend - if you are planning to do
this, consider to continue the outline structure inside frames to
produce the frame content.

3 Editing support with org-beamer-mode
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Org defines a minor mode with editing support for Org files that will
be exported as beamer presentations.  To turn on this mode in a
specific file, use

   #+STARTUP: beamer

3.1 Tracking of the BEAMER_env property with tags

To provide instant knowledge about the beamer environment that will be
used for a node, changing the `BEAMER_env' property will cause a tag
`:B_environment': to be set, where `environment' stands for the
actual environment.  So a node that is becoming a frame (if that is
triggered by property and not by level) will have the tag `:B_frame:'
These tags will have a special font-lock face, `org-beamer-tag'.

3.2 Fast tag selection for beamer environments

The command `C-c C-b' will offer fast selection interface for the
various beamer environments.

3.3 Column view
================

Column view provides a great way to set the environment of a node and
other important parameters.  Make sure you are using a COLUMN format
that is geared toward this special purpose.  The command
`org-beamer-settings-template' does define such a format.

4 Open issues
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Here are some issues I have not yet addressed, and where I don't know
how to deal with them:

1. Is the in-buffer customization OK the way I did it, or does it
    have to be more elegant?
2. How about notes, what is a good way to define text that will be
    wrapped into the `\note' macro
3. What else is needed?

5 Example
~~~~~~~~~~

Here is a (still very incomplete) example Org document that is
intended for beamer export.  It looks a bit complicated here
because all the property drawers are open.  In Org-mode,
and in particular in column mode, it looks a lot better.

   #+LaTeX_CLASS: beamer
   #+TITLE: Example Presentation
   #+AUTHOR: Carsten Dominik
   #+LaTeX_CLASS_OPTIONS: [presentation]
   #+BEAMER_FRAME_LEVEL: 2
   #+BEAMER_HEADER_EXTRA: \usetheme{Madrid}\usecolortheme{default}
   #+COLUMNS: %30ITEM %8BEAMER_env(Env) %7BEAMER_opt(Options)
%6BEAMER_dovl(DefOvl) %7BEAMER_ovl(Overlay) %4BEAMER_col(Col)

   * This is the first structural section

   ** Frame 1 \\ with a subtitle
   *** Thanks to Eric
Fraga                                            :B_block:
       :PROPERTIES:
       :BEAMER_env: block
       :BEAMER_col: 0.5
       :END:
       for the first viable beamer setup in Org
   *** Thanks to everyone
else                                         :B_block:
       :PROPERTIES:
       :BEAMER_col: 0.5
       :BEAMER_env: block
       :BEAMER_envargs: <2->
       :END:
       for contributing to the discussion
   ** Frame 2 \\ Like 1, but now with explicit columns
   ***
columns
                                                        :B_columns:
       :PROPERTIES:
       :BEAMER_env: columns
       :END:
   ****
0.5                                                           :B_column:
        :PROPERTIES:
        :BEAMER_env: column
        :END:
   ***** Thanks to Eric
Fraga                                          :B_block:
         :PROPERTIES:
         :BEAMER_env: block
         :BEAMER_col:
         :END:
         for the first viable beamer setup in Org

   ****
0.5                                                           :B_column:
        :PROPERTIES:
        :BEAMER_env: column
        :END:

   ***** Thanks to everyone
else                                       :B_block:
         :PROPERTIES:
         :BEAMER_col:
         :BEAMER_env: block
         :BEAMER_envargs: <2->
         :END:
         for contributing to the discussion
   ** Frame 2 \\ where we will not use columns
   ***
Request
                                                          :B_block:
       Please test this stuff!

* Re: Beamer support - 2nd round
@ 2009-12-04 18:34 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2009-12-04 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode Mode

At Thu, 3 Dec 2009 17:10:44 +0100,
Carsten Dominik wrote:

> after carefully listening to all your comments and thinking
> things through more thoroughly, here is now my second attempt
> to define beamer support in Org-mode.

Carsten,

Thanks for this!  After learning a bit about git branches (more than I
probably wanted to know ;-) and a bit more about org mode columns
view, I can say that I like what you have done.  I've been playing
with your sample file for a short while and it looks a good design
which seems to support everything /I/ would want and does so in an
easy way (especially the combination of the new C-c C-b special
org-beamer command and columns view).

I've run into a few niggles but I need to play some more (probably
over the weekend) to see whether some of them are my fault or due to
bugs in the code.  However, some immediate niggles or suggestions are:

- I need to be able to specify arguments for columns (i.e. the
  environment, not specific columns), specifically
  often [t] to make two columns align vertically

- I don't understand what the difference between opt and envargs is.
  In fact, I see no reference to BEAMER_opt in the document you wrote
  yet your example has opt as one of the column view specifications.

- it would be nice if when a column heading is also a block heading,
  that the tags generated (which, by the way, is a really nice
  feature) include both block and column tags to make it easy to spot
  the column aspect.

You'll probably be hearing from me soon again!

Oh, and thanks for the separate email showing me how to do my page 100
with the new setup.  How to do it was actually quite clear from the
example you gave in the other message.  Very straightforward and does
work nicely.

Thanks again,
eric

* Re: Beamer support - 2nd round
@ 2009-12-04 23:31   ` Daniel Martins
From: Daniel Martins @ 2009-12-04 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: e.fraga; +Cc: emacs-orgmode Mode, Carsten Dominik

Stupid question 9but I could not answer it)

I have to set up

(add-to-list 'org-export-latex-classes
             '("beamer"
               "\\documentclass[11pt]{beamer}
...)

???

Or I have to imput another .el which sets org-export-latex-classes correctly?

I sue the latest git version of org-mode 6.33trans and
I tried to use the example but I couldn't

Daniel

2009/12/4 Eric S Fraga <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk>:
> At Thu, 3 Dec 2009 17:10:44 +0100,
> Carsten Dominik wrote:
>
>> after carefully listening to all your comments and thinking
>> things through more thoroughly, here is now my second attempt
>> to define beamer support in Org-mode.
>
> Carsten,
>
> Thanks for this!  After learning a bit about git branches (more than I
> probably wanted to know ;-) and a bit more about org mode columns
> view, I can say that I like what you have done.  I've been playing
> with your sample file for a short while and it looks a good design
> which seems to support everything /I/ would want and does so in an
> easy way (especially the combination of the new C-c C-b special
> org-beamer command and columns view).
>
> I've run into a few niggles but I need to play some more (probably
> over the weekend) to see whether some of them are my fault or due to
> bugs in the code.  However, some immediate niggles or suggestions are:
>
> - I need to be able to specify arguments for columns (i.e. the
>  environment, not specific columns), specifically
>  often [t] to make two columns align vertically
>
> - I don't understand what the difference between opt and envargs is.
>  In fact, I see no reference to BEAMER_opt in the document you wrote
>  yet your example has opt as one of the column view specifications.
>
> - it would be nice if when a column heading is also a block heading,
>  that the tags generated (which, by the way, is a really nice
>  feature) include both block and column tags to make it easy to spot
>  the column aspect.
>
> You'll probably be hearing from me soon again!
>
> Oh, and thanks for the separate email showing me how to do my page 100
> with the new setup.  How to do it was actually quite clear from the
> example you gave in the other message.  Very straightforward and does
> work nicely.
>
> Thanks again,
> eric

* Re: Beamer support - 2nd round
@ 2009-12-04 23:45     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2009-12-04 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Martins; +Cc: Carsten Dominik, emacs-orgmode Mode

Daniel Martins <danielemc@gmail.com> wrote:

> Stupid question 9but I could not answer it)
>

> I have to set up
>
> (add-to-list 'org-export-latex-classes
>              '("beamer"
>                "\\documentclass[11pt]{beamer}
> ...)
>
> ???

No.

> Or I have to imput another .el which sets org-export-latex-classes correctl=
> y?
>
> I sue the latest git version of org-mode 6.33trans and
> I tried to use the example but I couldn't

Are you using git to keep up to date with org-mode? If not, then afaict,
you cannot get it yet. If you are using git, you can do something like this:

$ git branch -r
  origin/HEAD
  origin/add-recursion-to-org-publish
  origin/beamer
  origin/emacs23
  origin/experimental
  origin/experimental-code-for-the-new-export-engine
  origin/master
  origin/mobile-support
  origin/org-plot-doc
  origin/support-for-mobile-sync

you can see there is a remote branch called origin/beamer. You can create
a local tracking branch with

$ git branch beamer origin/beamer

and check it out:

$ git checkout beamer

If you then look in lisp/org-latex.el, you should see the beamer stuff.

HTH,
Nick

* Re: Beamer support - 2nd round
@ 2009-12-05  0:04       ` Daniel Martins
From: Daniel Martins @ 2009-12-05  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Carsten Dominik, emacs-orgmode Mode

Thank you very much

I did everything you suggested and everything worked nicely

But even using load-libray

org-latex

and

org-beamer

I received

Select command:
Exporting to LaTeX...
or: No definition for class `beamer' in `org-export-latex-classes'

2009/12/4 Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com>:
> Daniel Martins <danielemc@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Stupid question 9but I could not answer it)
>>

>> I have to set up
>>
>> (add-to-list 'org-export-latex-classes
>>              '("beamer"
>>                "\\documentclass[11pt]{beamer}
>> ...)
>>
>> ???
>>

> No.
>

>> Or I have to imput another .el which sets org-export-latex-classes correctl=
>> y?
>>
>> I sue the latest git version of org-mode 6.33trans and
>> I tried to use the example but I couldn't
>
> Are you using git to keep up to date with org-mode? If not, then afaict,
> you cannot get it yet. If you are using git, you can do something like this:
>
> $ git branch -r
>  origin/HEAD
>  origin/add-recursion-to-org-publish
>  origin/beamer
>  origin/emacs23
>  origin/experimental
>  origin/experimental-code-for-the-new-export-engine
>  origin/master
>  origin/mobile-support
>  origin/org-plot-doc
>  origin/support-for-mobile-sync
>
> you can see there is a remote branch called origin/beamer. You can create
> a local tracking branch with
>
> $ git branch beamer origin/beamer
>
> and check it out:
>
> $ git checkout beamer
>
> If you then look in lisp/org-latex.el, you should see the beamer stuff.
>
> HTH,
> Nick

* Re: Beamer support - 2nd round
@ 2009-12-05  0:16         ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2009-12-05  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Martins; +Cc: emacs-orgmode Mode, Carsten Dominik

Daniel Martins <danielemc@gmail.com> wrote:

> Select command:
> Exporting to LaTeX...
> or: No definition for class `beamer' in `org-export-latex-classes'

Did you rebuild org-mode? Did you reload it?

Do

   C-h v org-export-latex-classes <RET>

If it does not mention beamer, then the old definition is in
effect. Restart your emacs, or visit org-latex.el and evaluate the
defvar again with C-M-x.

Nick

* Re: Beamer support - 2nd round
@ 2009-12-05  8:05         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-12-05  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Martins; +Cc: emacs-orgmode Mode

On Dec 5, 2009, at 1:04 AM, Daniel Martins wrote:

> Thank you very much
>
> I did everything you suggested and everything worked nicely
>

> But even using load-libray
>
> org-latex
>
> and
>
> org-beamer
>
> I received

> (source)...done
> (source)...done
> Select command:
> Exporting to LaTeX...
> or: No definition for class `beamer' in `org-export-latex-classes'

If you have customized org-export-latex-classes before, then the value
you stored will overwrite the new default (which contains the beamer
entry.  Two ways to fix this:

1. Remove you customization of this variable, restart Emacs, and
customize again to redo the changed you have made earlier.  THis is
the safest way.

OR

2. Customize the variable and create a new entry for beamer, with this:
     ("beamer"
      "\\documentclass{beamer}
\\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
\\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\\usepackage{graphicx}
\\usepackage{longtable}
\\usepackage{float}
\\usepackage{wrapfig}
\\usepackage{soul}
\\usepackage{amssymb}
\\usepackage{hyperref}"
      org-beamer-sectioning
))

So in your customize buffer it must look like this:

[-- Attachment #2: pastedGraphic.tiff --]
[-- Type: image/tiff, Size: 27036 bytes --]

Note in paricular that under |levels|, you must choose "Hook computing
section levels" from the value menu

- Carsten

> 2009/12/4 Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com>:
>> Daniel Martins <danielemc@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Stupid question 9but I could not answer it)
>>>

>>> I have to set up
>>>
>>> (add-to-list 'org-export-latex-classes
>>>              '("beamer"
>>>                "\\documentclass[11pt]{beamer}
>>> ...)
>>>
>>> ???
>>>

>> No.
>>

>>> Or I have to imput another .el which sets org-export-latex-classes
>>> correctl=
>>> y?
>>>
>>> I sue the latest git version of org-mode 6.33trans and
>>> I tried to use the example but I couldn't
>>
>> Are you using git to keep up to date with org-mode? If not, then
>> afaict,
>> you cannot get it yet. If you are using git, you can do something
>> like this:
>>
>> $ git branch -r
>>  origin/HEAD
>>  origin/add-recursion-to-org-publish
>>  origin/beamer
>>  origin/emacs23
>>  origin/experimental
>>  origin/experimental-code-for-the-new-export-engine
>>  origin/master
>>  origin/mobile-support
>>  origin/org-plot-doc
>>  origin/support-for-mobile-sync
>>
>> you can see there is a remote branch called origin/beamer. You can
>> create
>> a local tracking branch with
>>
>> $ git branch beamer origin/beamer
>>
>> and check it out:
>>
>> $ git checkout beamer
>>
>> If you then look in lisp/org-latex.el, you should see the beamer
>> stuff.
>>
>> HTH,
>> Nick

- Carsten

* Re: Beamer support - 2nd round
@ 2009-12-05 14:34           ` Daniel Martins
From: Daniel Martins @ 2009-12-05 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode Mode

Carsten hit the target. I have customized org-export-latex-classes before!

The first option did not work (I do not know why) but the second option did!

The teste worked perfectly!!

Thanks again carsten and Nicholas

Daniel

2009/12/5 Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com>:

> On Dec 5, 2009, at 1:04 AM, Daniel Martins wrote:
>
>> Thank you very much
>>
>> I did everything you suggested and everything worked nicely
>>

>> But even using load-libray
>>
>> org-latex
>>
>> and
>>
>> org-beamer
>>
>> I received

>> (source)...done
>> Select command:
>> Exporting to LaTeX...
>> or: No definition for class `beamer' in `org-export-latex-classes'
>
> If you have customized org-export-latex-classes before, then the value you
> stored will overwrite the new default (which contains the beamer entry.  Two
> ways to fix this:
>
> 1. Remove you customization of this variable, restart Emacs, and customize
> again to redo the changed you have made earlier.  THis is the safest way.
>
> OR
>
> 2. Customize the variable and create a new entry for beamer, with this:
>    ("beamer"
>     "\\documentclass{beamer}
> \\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
> \\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
> \\usepackage{graphicx}
> \\usepackage{longtable}
> \\usepackage{float}
> \\usepackage{wrapfig}
> \\usepackage{soul}
> \\usepackage{amssymb}
> \\usepackage{hyperref}"
>     org-beamer-sectioning
> ))
>

> So in your customize buffer it must look like this:
>

> Note in paricular that under |levels|, you must choose "Hook computing
> section levels" from the value menu
>
> - Carsten

>>> No.

>>> Are you using git to keep up to date with org-mode? If not, then afaict,
>>> you cannot get it yet. If you are using git, you can do something like
>>> this:
>>>
>>> $ git branch -r
>>>  origin/HEAD
>>>  origin/add-recursion-to-org-publish
>>>  origin/beamer
>>>  origin/emacs23
>>>  origin/experimental
>>>  origin/experimental-code-for-the-new-export-engine
>>>  origin/master
>>>  origin/mobile-support
>>>  origin/org-plot-doc
>>>  origin/support-for-mobile-sync
>>>
>>> you can see there is a remote branch called origin/beamer. You can create
>>> a local tracking branch with
>>>
>>> $ git branch beamer origin/beamer
>>>
>>> and check it out:
>>>
>>> $ git checkout beamer
>>>
>>> If you then look in lisp/org-latex.el, you should see the beamer stuff.
>>>
>>> HTH,
>>> Nick
>>>

> - Carsten

* Re: Beamer support - 2nd round
@ 2009-12-05 17:10   ` Carsten Dominik
       [not found]     ` <87vdgkcg0d.wl%ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk>
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-12-05 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: e.fraga; +Cc: emacs-orgmode Mode

Hi Eric,

On Dec 4, 2009, at 7:34 PM, Eric S Fraga wrote:

> At Thu, 3 Dec 2009 17:10:44 +0100,
> Carsten Dominik wrote:
>
>> after carefully listening to all your comments and thinking
>> things through more thoroughly, here is now my second attempt
>> to define beamer support in Org-mode.
>
> Carsten,
>
> Thanks for this!  After learning a bit about git branches (more than I
> probably wanted to know ;-) and a bit more about org mode columns
> view, I can say that I like what you have done.  I've been playing
> with your sample file for a short while and it looks a good design
> which seems to support everything /I/ would want and does so in an
> easy way (especially the combination of the new C-c C-b special
> org-beamer command and columns view).
>
> I've run into a few niggles but I need to play some more (probably
> over the weekend) to see whether some of them are my fault or due to
> bugs in the code.  However, some immediate niggles or suggestions are:
>
> - I need to be able to specify arguments for columns (i.e. the
>  environment, not specific columns), specifically
>  often [t] to make two columns align vertically

Yes, this is a problem.  YOu can specify arguments for the columns
environment if you create it explicitly, i.e. with a headline with
BEAMER_env set to "columns".  But I can see that it would be good to
be able to set an argument also when creating the environment
implicitly.  I'll think of something.

> - I don't understand what the difference between opt and envargs is.
>  In fact, I see no reference to BEAMER_opt in the document you wrote
>  yet your example has opt as one of the column view specifications.

opt is obsolete, I had three separate properties opt, ovl, and dovl
at some point (tried many different things during the last week),
but I decided to lump them all into one, envargs.

> - it would be nice if when a column heading is also a block heading,
>  that the tags generated (which, by the way, is a really nice
>  feature) include both block and column tags to make it easy to spot
>  the column aspect.

Hmm, I agree that this would be useful.  You mean if a heading has both
BEAMER_env and BEAMER_col set....

> You'll probably be hearing from me soon again!
>
> Oh, and thanks for the separate email showing me how to do my page 100
> with the new setup.  How to do it was actually quite clear from the
> example you gave in the other message.  Very straightforward and does
> work nicely.

Good.

- Carsten

> Thanks again,
> eric

- Carsten

* Re: Beamer support - 2nd round
@ 2009-12-06 13:13 ` Magnus Henoch
From: Magnus Henoch @ 2009-12-06 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bug report: LATEX_HEADER doesn't work in the beamer branch, neither for "normal"
LaTeX exports nor for beamer export.  It works fine in the master branch.

Here is my test case.  The commands in the header are necessary for the Esperanto
characters to show up in the PDF output.  Of course, you can also check the
outcome by reading the produced LaTeX file.

#+LATEX_HEADER: \DeclareUnicodeCharacter{0108}{\^C}
\DeclareUnicodeCharacter{011D}{\^g}
* Ĉu ĝi funkcias?
Jes, ĝi bone funkcias.

Regards,
Magnus

* Re: Beamer support - 2nd round
@ 2009-12-06 13:24   ` Magnus Henoch
From: Magnus Henoch @ 2009-12-06 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Magnus Henoch <magnus.henoch <at> gmail.com> writes:

> #+LATEX_HEADER: \DeclareUnicodeCharacter{0108}{\^C}
> \DeclareUnicodeCharacter{011D}{\^g}

Oops, that should be on one line...

Magnus

* Re: Beamer support - 2nd round
       [not found]     ` <87vdgkcg0d.wl%ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk>
@ 2009-12-06 23:51       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-12-06 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: emacs-orgmode Mode

Hi Eric,

On Dec 6, 2009, at 3:51 PM, Eric S Fraga wrote:

> At Sat, 5 Dec 2009 18:10:33 +0100,
> Carsten Dominik wrote:
>>> - I need to be able to specify arguments for columns (i.e. the
>>> environment, not specific columns), specifically
>>> often [t] to make two columns align vertically
>>
>> Yes, this is a problem.  YOu can specify arguments for the columns
>> environment if you create it explicitly, i.e. with a headline with
>> BEAMER_env set to "columns".  But I can see that it would be good to
>> be able to set an argument also when creating the environment
>> implicitly.  I'll think of something.
>
> Using an explicit environment is not a big deal but I couldn't get it
> to work in this manner.  Does it work for you?  Try to columns that
> are different heights.  The default placement is to centre them
> vertically which can look strange depending on their content.  The [t]
> allows for them to align at the top.

Yep, this was a mistake in the template.  Fixed now.

>>> - I don't understand what the difference between opt and envargs is.
>>> In fact, I see no reference to BEAMER_opt in the document you wrote
>>> yet your example has opt as one of the column view specifications.
>>
>> opt is obsolete, I had three separate properties opt, ovl, and dovl
>> at some point (tried many different things during the last week),
>> but I decided to lump them all into one, envargs.
>
> Makes sense.  Thanks.
>
>>> - it would be nice if when a column heading is also a block heading,
>>> that the tags generated (which, by the way, is a really nice
>>> feature) include both block and column tags to make it easy to spot
>>> the column aspect.
>>
>> Hmm, I agree that this would be useful.  You mean if a heading has
>> both
>> BEAMER_env and BEAMER_col set....
>
> Yes, exactly.

OK, this works now as well.

And you can pass options to the columns environment and to the column
environment by preceeding [..] with "c" or "C", like this:

* This is a frame
** Block starting also a column   :BMCOL:B_block:
    :PROPERTIES:
    :BEAMER_env: block
    :BEAMER_envargs: [op-for-block] c[opt-for-column-env] C[opt-for-
columns-env]
    :END:

Not strongly tested, but I hope it works...

- Carsten

> Thanks,
> eric

- Carsten

* Re: Beamer support - 2nd round
@ 2009-12-07 20:15           ` JBash
From: JBash @ 2009-12-07 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode Mode

On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 3:05 AM, Carsten Dominik
<carsten.dominik@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Dec 5, 2009, at 1:04 AM, Daniel Martins wrote:
>
>  Thank you very much
>>
>> I did everything you suggested and everything worked nicely
>>

>> But even using load-libray
>>
>> org-latex
>>
>> and
>>
>> org-beamer
>>
>> I received

>> (source)...done
>> Select command:
>> Exporting to LaTeX...
>> or: No definition for class `beamer' in `org-export-latex-classes'
>>

> If you have customized org-export-latex-classes before, then the value you
> stored will overwrite the new default (which contains the beamer entry.  Two
> ways to fix this:
>
> 1. Remove you customization of this variable, restart Emacs, and customize
> again to redo the changed you have made earlier.  THis is the safest way.
>
> OR
>
> 2. Customize the variable and create a new entry for beamer, with this:
>    ("beamer"
>     "\\documentclass{beamer}
> \\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
> \\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
> \\usepackage{graphicx}
> \\usepackage{longtable}
> \\usepackage{float}
> \\usepackage{wrapfig}
> \\usepackage{soul}
> \\usepackage{amssymb}
> \\usepackage{hyperref}"
>     org-beamer-sectioning
> ))
>

> So in your customize buffer it must look like this:
>

> Note in paricular that under |levels|, you must choose "Hook computing
> section levels" from the value menu
>
> - Carsten
>

>> 2009/12/4 Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com>:
>>
>>> Daniel Martins <danielemc@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>  Stupid question 9but I could not answer it)

>>> No.

>>> Are you using git to keep up to date with org-mode? If not, then afaict,
>>> you cannot get it yet. If you are using git, you can do something like
>>> this:
>>>
>>> $ git branch -r
>>>  origin/HEAD
>>>  origin/add-recursion-to-org-publish
>>>  origin/beamer
>>>  origin/emacs23
>>>  origin/experimental
>>>  origin/experimental-code-for-the-new-export-engine
>>>  origin/master
>>>  origin/mobile-support
>>>  origin/org-plot-doc
>>>  origin/support-for-mobile-sync
>>>
>>> you can see there is a remote branch called origin/beamer. You can create
>>> a local tracking branch with
>>>
>>> $ git branch beamer origin/beamer
>>>
>>> and check it out:
>>>
>>> $ git checkout beamer
>>>
>>> If you then look in lisp/org-latex.el, you should see the beamer stuff.
>>>
>>> HTH,
>>> Nick
>>>

> - Carsten
>

> This is not working quite right for me...
I pulled the latest beamer branch from git this morning and installed it.  I
am getting the export to latex, but no columns in the beamer (tex) and
resulting pdf file.  There is a title frame, a TOC (blank) frame, and then a
single frame titled "This is the first structural section".  All other
elements are nested itemized lists on that single slide.

I manually copied the org-beamer.el file to my site-lisp area.  Is that
supposed to be installed along with the other org files?

I had also previously defined org-latex-export-classes, and have removed
that from my .emacs file.

I am also seeing an unexpected error the *second* (and subsequent) time I
export (without changes to the org file) to to PDFabout a column-width
function:

Select command:
Exporting to PDF...
Exporting to LaTeX...
org-beamer-open-column: Symbol's function definition is void:
org-beamer-add-units-to-column-width

If I restart emacs, I can export again (1 time) without these errors.

If this points to something obvious in my configuration, please let me
know.  I suspect I have something strangely configured, as no one else is
having these issues.

Thanks,
Jerry

* Re: Beamer support - 2nd round
@ 2009-12-07 20:29             ` JBash
From: JBash @ 2009-12-07 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode Mode

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 3:15 PM, JBash <bashveank@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 3:05 AM, Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com
> > wrote:
>

>> On Dec 5, 2009, at 1:04 AM, Daniel Martins wrote:
>>
>>  Thank you very much
>>>
>>> I did everything you suggested and everything worked nicely
>>>

>>> But even using load-libray
>>>
>>> org-latex
>>>
>>> and
>>>
>>> org-beamer
>>>
>>> I received

>>> (source)...done
>>> (source)...done
>>> Select command:
>>> Exporting to LaTeX...
>>> or: No definition for class `beamer' in `org-export-latex-classes'
>>>

>> If you have customized org-export-latex-classes before, then the value you
>> stored will overwrite the new default (which contains the beamer entry.  Two
>> ways to fix this:
>>
>> 1. Remove you customization of this variable, restart Emacs, and customize
>> again to redo the changed you have made earlier.  THis is the safest way.
>>
>> OR
>>
>> 2. Customize the variable and create a new entry for beamer, with this:
>>    ("beamer"
>>     "\\documentclass{beamer}
>> \\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
>> \\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
>> \\usepackage{graphicx}
>> \\usepackage{longtable}
>> \\usepackage{float}
>> \\usepackage{wrapfig}
>> \\usepackage{soul}
>> \\usepackage{amssymb}
>> \\usepackage{hyperref}"
>>     org-beamer-sectioning
>> ))
>>

>> So in your customize buffer it must look like this:
>>

>> Note in paricular that under |levels|, you must choose "Hook computing
>> section levels" from the value menu
>>
>> - Carsten

>> - Carsten
>>

>> This is not working quite right for me...
> I pulled the latest beamer branch from git this morning and installed it.
> I am getting the export to latex, but no columns in the beamer (tex) and
> resulting pdf file.  There is a title frame, a TOC (blank) frame, and then a
> single frame titled "This is the first structural section".  All other
> elements are nested itemized lists on that single slide.
>
> I manually copied the org-beamer.el file to my site-lisp area.  Is that
> supposed to be installed along with the other org files?

I had also previously defined org-latex-export-classes, and have removed
> that from my .emacs file.

Correction:  I meant org-export-latex-classes  ... Sorry.

> I am also seeing an unexpected error the *second* (and subsequent) time I
> export (without changes to the org file) to to PDFabout a column-width
> function:
>
> Select command:
> Exporting to PDF...
> Exporting to LaTeX...
> org-beamer-open-column: Symbol's function definition is void:
> org-beamer-add-units-to-column-width
>
> If I restart emacs, I can export again (1 time) without these errors.
>
> If this points to something obvious in my configuration, please let me
> know.  I suspect I have something strangely configured, as no one else is
> having these issues.
>
> Thanks,
> Jerry

* Re: Beamer support - 2nd round
@ 2009-12-07 21:34               ` Daniel Martins
From: Daniel Martins @ 2009-12-07 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: JBash; +Cc: emacs-orgmode Mode, Carsten Dominik

I had the same problem with org-beamer-add-units-to-column-width

daniel

2009/12/7 JBash <bashveank@gmail.com>:

> On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 3:15 PM, JBash <bashveank@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 3:05 AM, Carsten Dominik
>> <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> If you have customized org-export-latex-classes before, then the value
>>> you stored will overwrite the new default (which contains the beamer entry.
>>>  Two ways to fix this:
>>>
>>> 1. Remove you customization of this variable, restart Emacs, and
>>> customize again to redo the changed you have made earlier.  THis is the
>>> safest way.
>>>
>>> OR
>>>
>>> 2. Customize the variable and create a new entry for beamer, with this:
>>>    ("beamer"
>>>     "\\documentclass{beamer}
>>> \\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
>>> \\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
>>> \\usepackage{graphicx}
>>> \\usepackage{longtable}
>>> \\usepackage{float}
>>> \\usepackage{wrapfig}
>>> \\usepackage{soul}
>>> \\usepackage{amssymb}
>>> \\usepackage{hyperref}"
>>>     org-beamer-sectioning
>>> ))
>>>

>>> So in your customize buffer it must look like this:
>>>

>>> Note in paricular that under |levels|, you must choose "Hook computing
>>> section levels" from the value menu
>>>
>>> - Carsten

>>> - Carsten
>>>

>> This is not working quite right for me...
>> I pulled the latest beamer branch from git this morning and installed it.
>> I am getting the export to latex, but no columns in the beamer (tex) and
>> resulting pdf file.  There is a title frame, a TOC (blank) frame, and then a
>> single frame titled "This is the first structural section".  All other
>> elements are nested itemized lists on that single slide.
>>
>> I manually copied the org-beamer.el file to my site-lisp area.  Is that
>> supposed to be installed along with the other org files?
>>

>> I had also previously defined org-latex-export-classes, and have removed
>> that from my .emacs file.
>>

> Correction:  I meant org-export-latex-classes  ... Sorry.
>>
>> I am also seeing an unexpected error the *second* (and subsequent) time I
>> export (without changes to the org file) to to PDFabout a column-width
>> function:
>>
>> Select command:
>> Exporting to PDF...
>> Exporting to LaTeX...
>> org-beamer-open-column: Symbol's function definition is void:
>> org-beamer-add-units-to-column-width
>>
>> If I restart emacs, I can export again (1 time) without these errors.
>>
>> If this points to something obvious in my configuration, please let me
>> know.  I suspect I have something strangely configured, as no one else is
>> having these issues.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jerry

* Re: Beamer support - 2nd round
@ 2009-12-08 17:21             ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-12-08 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: JBash; +Cc: emacs-orgmode Mode

On Dec 7, 2009, at 9:15 PM, JBash wrote:

> This is not working quite right for me...
> I pulled the latest beamer branch from git this morning and
> installed it.  I am getting the export to latex, but no columns in
> the beamer (tex) and resulting pdf file.  There is a title frame, a
> TOC (blank) frame, and then a single frame titled "This is the first
> structural section".  All other elements are nested itemized lists
> on that single slide.
>
> I manually copied the org-beamer.el file to my site-lisp area.  Is
> that supposed to be installed along with the other org files?
>
> I had also previously defined org-latex-export-classes, and have
> removed that from my .emacs file.
>
> I am also seeing an unexpected error the *second* (and subsequent)
> time I export (without changes to the org file) to to PDFabout a
> column-width function:
>
> Select command:
> Exporting to PDF...
> Exporting to LaTeX...
> org-beamer-open-column: Symbol's function definition is void: org-
> beamer-add-units-to-column-width

Ah, I changed the name of this function, but not in all places, sorry
about that.

Fixed now.

- Carsten

> If I restart emacs, I can export again (1 time) without these errors.
>
> If this points to something obvious in my configuration, please let
> me know.  I suspect I have something strangely configured, as no one
> else is having these issues.
>
> Thanks,
> Jerry

- Carsten

* Re: Re: Beamer support - 2nd round
@ 2009-12-08 17:21   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-12-08 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Magnus Henoch; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Magnus,

that does work for me....

- Carsten

On Dec 6, 2009, at 2:13 PM, Magnus Henoch wrote:

> Bug report: LATEX_HEADER doesn't work in the beamer branch, neither
> for "normal"
> LaTeX exports nor for beamer export.  It works fine in the master
> branch.
>
> Here is my test case.  The commands in the header are necessary for
> the Esperanto
> characters to show up in the PDF output.  Of course, you can also
> check the
> outcome by reading the produced LaTeX file.
>
> #+LATEX_HEADER: \DeclareUnicodeCharacter{0108}{\^C}
> \DeclareUnicodeCharacter{011D}{\^g}
> * Ĉu ĝi funkcias?
> Jes, ĝi bone funkcias.
>

> Regards,
> Magnus

- Carsten

* Re: Beamer support - 2nd round
@ 2009-12-08 17:52               ` JBash
From: JBash @ 2009-12-08 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode Mode

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 12:21 PM, Carsten Dominik
<carsten.dominik@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Dec 7, 2009, at 9:15 PM, JBash wrote:
>

>> This is not working quite right for me...
>> I pulled the latest beamer branch from git this morning and installed it.
>>  I am getting the export to latex, but no columns in the beamer (tex) and
>> resulting pdf file.  There is a title frame, a TOC (blank) frame, and then a
>> single frame titled "This is the first structural section".  All other
>> elements are nested itemized lists on that single slide.
>>
>> I manually copied the org-beamer.el file to my site-lisp area.  Is that
>> supposed to be installed along with the other org files?
>>
>> I had also previously defined org-latex-export-classes, and have removed
>> that from my .emacs file.
>>
>> I am also seeing an unexpected error the *second* (and subsequent) time I
>> export (without changes to the org file) to to PDFabout a column-width
>> function:
>>
>> Select command:
>> Exporting to PDF...
>> Exporting to LaTeX...
>> org-beamer-open-column: Symbol's function definition is void:
>> org-beamer-add-units-to-column-width
>>

> Ah, I changed the name of this function, but not in all places, sorry about
> that.
>
> Fixed now.
>
> - Carsten
>

>> If I restart emacs, I can export again (1 time) without these errors.
>>
>> If this points to something obvious in my configuration, please let me
>> know.  I suspect I have something strangely configured, as no one else is
>> having these issues.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jerry
>>

> - Carsten

Great.  I pulled the latest and the problem is solved.  Thanks very much,
Carsten.

I don't know if you're looking for this level in anomalies at this point in
the process of beamer support... if so, I am still getting an unexpected
behavior on the first export to latex / build pdf.  When I first open emacs
and load the test file, the resulting pdf file does not have columns or the
specified theme (appears to be the default theme instead).  Subsequent
exports/builds work fine.

Thanks again.
Jerry

* Re: Beamer support - 2nd round
@ 2009-12-08 23:04                 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-12-08 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: JBash; +Cc: emacs-orgmode Mode

On Dec 8, 2009, at 6:52 PM, JBash wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 12:21 PM, Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com
> > wrote:
>
> On Dec 7, 2009, at 9:15 PM, JBash wrote:
>
> This is not working quite right for me...
> I pulled the latest beamer branch from git this morning and
> installed it.  I am getting the export to latex, but no columns in
> the beamer (tex) and resulting pdf file.  There is a title frame, a
> TOC (blank) frame, and then a single frame titled "This is the first
> structural section".  All other elements are nested itemized lists
> on that single slide.
>
> I manually copied the org-beamer.el file to my site-lisp area.  Is
> that supposed to be installed along with the other org files?
>
> I had also previously defined org-latex-export-classes, and have
> removed that from my .emacs file.
>
> I am also seeing an unexpected error the *second* (and subsequent)
> time I export (without changes to the org file) to to PDFabout a
> column-width function:
>
> Select command:
> Exporting to PDF...
> Exporting to LaTeX...
> org-beamer-open-column: Symbol's function definition is void: org-
> beamer-add-units-to-column-width
>
> Ah, I changed the name of this function, but not in all places,
> sorry about that.
>
> Fixed now.
>
> - Carsten
>

> If I restart emacs, I can export again (1 time) without these errors.
>
> If this points to something obvious in my configuration, please let
> me know.  I suspect I have something strangely configured, as no one
> else is having these issues.
>
> Thanks,
> Jerry
>
> - Carsten
> Great.  I pulled the latest and the problem is solved.  Thanks very
> much, Carsten.
>
> I don't know if you're looking for this level in anomalies at this
> point in the process of beamer support... if so, I am still getting
> an unexpected behavior on the first export to latex / build pdf.
> When I first open emacs and load the test file, the resulting pdf
> file does not have columns or the specified theme (appears to be the
> default theme instead).  Subsequent exports/builds work fine.

Hi Jerry,

this is because org-beamer was not loaded in time.  Should be fixed
now...

Thanks for the report!

- Carsten

> Thanks again.
> Jerry

- Carsten

* Re: Beamer support - 2nd round
@ 2009-12-10 21:32 ` Adam Spiers
From: Adam Spiers @ 2009-12-10 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 05:10:44PM +0100, Carsten Dominik wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> after carefully listening to all your comments and thinking
> things through more thoroughly, here is now my second attempt
> to define beamer support in Org-mode.

[snipped]

This is very exciting :-)  Just one comment for now:

> 2.2 Frames
> ===========
>
> The BEAMER_FRAME_LEVEL setting governs which levels become frames.  If
> that option is set to 0, then frames are only created by setting the
> `BEAMER_env' property of an entry to the value `frame'.
>
> The heading of the entry will become the frame title.  If the frame
> title contains the string `\\', the line will be split at that
> location, and the second half will become the frame /subtitle/.  If
> you need a line break in the frame title, use `\newline' or
> `\linebreak'.

If the frame title is long enough to require a line break, most likely
it will start creeping over the right-hand margin of the emacs frame
during editing.  Consequently anything which can save a few columns
might be helpful, so how about allowing \n to mean the same as
\newline ?

* Re: Beamer support - 2nd round
@ 2009-12-14  8:11   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-12-14  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Spiers; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Dec 10, 2009, at 10:32 PM, Adam Spiers wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 05:10:44PM +0100, Carsten Dominik wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> after carefully listening to all your comments and thinking
>> things through more thoroughly, here is now my second attempt
>> to define beamer support in Org-mode.
>
> [snipped]
>
> This is very exciting :-)  Just one comment for now:
>
>> 2.2 Frames
>> ===========
>>
>> The BEAMER_FRAME_LEVEL setting governs which levels become frames.
>> If
>> that option is set to 0, then frames are only created by setting the
>> `BEAMER_env' property of an entry to the value `frame'.
>>
>> The heading of the entry will become the frame title.  If the frame
>> title contains the string `\\', the line will be split at that
>> location, and the second half will become the frame /subtitle/.  If
>> you need a line break in the frame title, use `\newline' or
>> `\linebreak'.
>
> If the frame title is long enough to require a line break, most likely
> it will start creeping over the right-hand margin of the emacs frame
> during editing.  Consequently anything which can save a few columns
> might be helpful, so how about allowing \n to mean the same as
> \newline ?

Hi Adam,

I am not sure I'd like this as a default, because the used of \n may
be many including in source code examples, but why don't you just do
this:

(defun my-make-backslash-n-mean-newline ()
   (save-excursion
     (goto-char (point-min))
     (replace-regexp "\\\\n\\>" "\\\\newline")))
(add-hook 'org-export-preprocess-hook
           'my-make-backslash-n-mean-newline)

HTH

- Carsten

* Re: Beamer support - 2nd round
@ 2009-12-18 11:12     ` Adam Spiers
From: Adam Spiers @ 2009-12-18 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 09:11:49AM +0100, Carsten Dominik wrote:
> On Dec 10, 2009, at 10:32 PM, Adam Spiers wrote:
> >>2.2 Frames
> >>===========
> >>
> >>The BEAMER_FRAME_LEVEL setting governs which levels become frames.  If
> >>that option is set to 0, then frames are only created by setting the
> >>`BEAMER_env' property of an entry to the value `frame'.
> >>
> >>The heading of the entry will become the frame title.  If the frame
> >>title contains the string `\\', the line will be split at that
> >>location, and the second half will become the frame /subtitle/.  If
> >>you need a line break in the frame title, use `\newline' or
> >>`\linebreak'.
> >
> >If the frame title is long enough to require a line break, most likely
> >it will start creeping over the right-hand margin of the emacs frame
> >during editing.  Consequently anything which can save a few columns
> >might be helpful, so how about allowing \n to mean the same as
> >\newline ?
>
> I am not sure I'd like this as a default, because the used of \n may
> be many including in source code examples

Hmm, it seems quite unlikely you'd need a literal \n in the frame
*title*, but it's possible I guess ...

> but why don't you just do this:
>
> (defun my-make-backslash-n-mean-newline ()
>   (save-excursion
>     (goto-char (point-min))
>     (replace-regexp "\\\\n\\>" "\\\\newline")))
> (add-hook 'org-export-preprocess-hook
>           'my-make-backslash-n-mean-newline)

That's cool, thanks :-)  I don't have a strong need for this, but was
just suggesting it as an idea to help promote the legibility and ease
of entry of org-beamer source "code".

Thanks,
Adam