emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* org-log-into-drawer should behave similarly to org-clock-into-drawer
@ 2015-12-15  2:43 Nikolay Kudryavtsev
From: Nikolay Kudryavtsev @ 2015-12-15  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello.

Currently when org-clock-into-drawer is set to t, it moves all old
drawer-less clock records to a new drawer. But org-log-into-drawer does
not do the same for log entries. I think it's logical for those two
variables to follow the same convention.

--
Best Regards,
Nikolay Kudryavtsev

* Re: org-log-into-drawer should behave similarly to org-clock-into-drawer
@ 2015-12-17 13:46 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-12-17 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nikolay Kudryavtsev; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Nikolay Kudryavtsev <nikolay.kudryavtsev@gmail.com> writes:

> Currently when org-clock-into-drawer is set to t, it moves all old
> drawer-less clock records to a new drawer. But org-log-into-drawer
> does not do the same for log entries. I think it's logical for those
> two variables to follow the same convention.

You might be right, but two different features following two different
conventions doesn't sound terribly wrong either.

In any case, we are arguing about a default value for a defcustom. So,
unless it is proven that the current default is more complex to grasp
for beginners, I don't think we should bother much.

WDYT?

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: org-log-into-drawer should behave similarly to org-clock-into-drawer
@ 2015-12-17 20:26   ` Nikolay Kudryavtsev
From: Nikolay Kudryavtsev @ 2015-12-17 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

There are two things worth noting:
1. The original value for org-log-into-drawer is nil.
2. There seems to be no value that would enable movement of old records
into drawers.

So assuming somebody just discovers this variable(like me), decides that
drawers is what he wants, now he has to move all those old entries
manually. That's not too much work, but we already have a better
behavior example in org-clock-into-drawer.

It's still a rather minor issue, by all means...

--

@ 2015-12-17 20:54     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-12-17 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nikolay Kudryavtsev; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Nikolay Kudryavtsev <nikolay.kudryavtsev@gmail.com> writes:

> So assuming somebody just discovers this variable(like me), decides
> that drawers is what he wants, now he has to move all those old
> entries manually. That's not too much work, but we already have
> a better behavior example in org-clock-into-drawer.

If default value for `org-log-into-drawer' is non-nil, state change
notes are invisible by default, which can be very confusing for
newcomers yet having to discover drawers.

This is the historical reason for SCHEDULED and DEADLINE not being
properties in the properties drawer, AFAIR.

> It's still a rather minor issue, by all means...

I agree. I understand the consistency issue, but in this particular
case, I'd rather not enforce drawers by default.

Regards,

--
Nicolas

* Re: org-log-into-drawer should behave similarly to org-clock-into-drawer
@ 2015-12-17 21:21       ` Nikolay Kudryavtsev
From: Nikolay Kudryavtsev @ 2015-12-17 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm not suggesting t to be the default value. Here I totally agree with nil.

The main consistency problem is that t would not move log entries, like
t moves them for org-clock-into-drawer.

--

@ 2015-12-17 21:36         ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-12-17 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nikolay Kudryavtsev; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Nikolay Kudryavtsev <nikolay.kudryavtsev@gmail.com> writes:

> The main consistency problem is that t would not move log entries,
> like t moves them for org-clock-into-drawer.

There is a big difference here.

Clocks are perfectly defined in Org syntax, so one can collect them
without trouble.

However, there is no such thing as a state change note. It is a mere
list item, even customizable, so it can be difficult to tell what it
looks like. Org doesn't even try to collect them: it is very cheesy (see
for example line 204 in org-habit.el for an attempt to find such notes).

Regards,

--
Nicolas

* Re: org-log-into-drawer should behave similarly to org-clock-into-drawer
@ 2015-12-17 21:48           ` Nikolay Kudryavtsev
From: Nikolay Kudryavtsev @ 2015-12-17 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Oh, I never thought about it like this. Not having a consistent syntax
is a good reason not to include code like this in the core. Thanks.

--
Best Regards,
Nikolay Kudryavtsev