emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Suggestion for improvement, org-read-date: prefer-closest-date instead of only prefer-future*
@ 2014-03-15 14:17 Anders Johansson
From: Anders Johansson @ 2014-03-15 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi.

I sometimes use timestamps for scheduling, sometimes for logging things
(manually and a few days later). It would be pretty convenient if one
could define a preferred range of time for incomplete dates, instead of
just prefer-future or default to current month or year.

Example:
It's 2013-12-25 and I want to schedule something for 2014-01-05 and add
a "log timestamp" for something last week, 2013-12-20.

It would be convenient if entering "01-05" and "12-20" would do the
right thing regardless of the setting of org-read-date-prefer-future.

This could be to prefer the closest date, but even more configurability
would be added if a sliding range of dates along a year were preferred.
For example, 9 months into the future and 3 in the past so that entering
"9-26" would give 2013-09-26 and entering "9-24"
would give 2014-09-24.

I think something like this is reasonable as it might be more common to
enter a date a few months back than one almost a year into the future.

I don't know if this applies as much to the case of only entering a day
number though, maybe there entering "-x" covers the case of wanting to
enter a date a few days back and preferring the future otherwise.

Perhaps this would add to much complexity to org-read-date, with little
gain, and there may certainly be complications I haven't thought of, but
I think it would be an interesting option for many people.

Cheers,
Anders Johansson

only message in thread, other threads:[~2014-03-15 14:17 UTC | newest]