emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Confused about org-index, org-favtable, org-reftabel, org-refer-by-number
@ 2013-10-28 11:15 Michael Strey
From: Michael Strey @ 2013-10-28 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode List; +Cc: org-favtable

Hello,

I'm using org-reftable.el [1] from the contrib path of the Git
repository since several months.  It is a useful addition to integrate
my personal archive of notes, data sheets, and pages that I tore out of
journals into Org Mode documents.

Now that I wanted to refine this system, I stumbled across the other
packages mentioned in the subject.  It seems that they are all revisions
of the same project from Marc Ihm.  IIUC, org-index.el is the newest
version that was preceded by org-favtable.el, org-reftable.el, and
org-refer-by-number.el.  Currently we have org-favtable.el and
org-reftable.el in the contrib path whilst org-index.el is only
available via Worg [2].

Marc, could you please clarify this confusion?  Anyway, thank you for
sharing this add-on!

Best regards
Michael Strey

Footnotes:
[1]  http://orgmode.org/worg/code/elisp/org-reftable.el
[2]  http://orgmode.org/worg/code/elisp/org-index.el

--
Michael Strey
http://www.strey.biz

* Re: Confused about org-index, org-favtable, org-reftabel, org-refer-by-number
@ 2013-10-28 20:27 ` Marc-Oliver Ihm
From: Marc-Oliver Ihm @ 2013-10-28 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Strey; +Cc: Org Mode List, org-favtable

Hi Michael,

thanx for the good words about org-index !

And yes all those packages are earlier Versions of org-index :-/
However, I did not try to cover my traces that way, but rather tried to find a name,
that at first glimpse gives an idea of this packages purpose ...
Now, org-index is a good fit, I think and I will not change its name again.

Regarding your upgrade path, I think you can easily switch from org-favtable to org-index,
only that you should rename org-favtable-id into org-index-id within your .emacs
As far as I can deduce from the version history which is contained in org-index.el,
you do not need to convert your index-table; it will work unchanged with org-index.
(please tell me, if there are unexpected problems !)

Finally as for the piled up confusion of having several packages with different names.
I need help from the org-mode elders in cleaning this up, because I do not have commit-bit for org,
only for worg.

What should be done is this:
The only package that should be retained is org-index.el all others (org-reftable.el, org-favtable.el
and org-refer-by-number.el) can simply be removed in favour of org-index.el, the latest version of which
resides in worg.

Now, if the last paragraph passes unnoticed for some days, I will send out a note directly to someone,
asking to help me clean up :-)

Thanx for your feedback and best regards !
Marc