emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* org-beamer: How to get items appear sequentially rather than all at once
@ 2010-03-23  7:14 Christian Wittern
       [not found] ` <D749AE38-B1FD-4FC9-8068-38DC7D4F71B1@tsdye.com>
From: Christian Wittern @ 2010-03-23  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Org-mode users,

I am trying to prepare a presentation with org-mode.  So far, I got it
working by changing the sample file on the website until it looks like I
need it.  However, I did not manage to get the points on a slide to appear
one after the other, they are always there at once.   The problem might be
that I know next to nothing about LateX and the way the org-beamer exporter
works.  I read somewhere that a "\pause" statement after the \item should do
the trick and I can get it do what I want, if I insert it into the LaTeX
source after running the export, but I would like to have it working
directly in one go from my org-mode document.  How do I need to set up the
environment in order to get the points on the slides appear one after the other?

Any help appreciated,

Christian

* Re: org-beamer: How to get items appear sequentially rather than all at once
       [not found] ` <D749AE38-B1FD-4FC9-8068-38DC7D4F71B1@tsdye.com>
@ 2010-03-23 23:21   ` Christian Wittern
From: Christian Wittern @ 2010-03-23 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2010-03-24 1:08, Thomas S. Dye wrote:

> Aloha Christian,
>
> Please see the beamer documentation for
> \beamerdefaultoverlayspecification.  You can likely set it to yield
> the behavior you're after.

Thomas,
Hmm, there does not seem to be such a thing as
\beamerdefaultoverlayspecification.  The only place where default
overlays are mentioned is in connection with BEAMER_envargs.  But when I
try the following, I do not get the expected results:
#+STARTUP: beamer
#+LaTeX_CLASS: beamer
#+LaTeX_CLASS_OPTIONS: [presentation]
#+BEAMER_FRAME_LEVEL: 1
#+BEAMER_HEADER_EXTRA: \usetheme{default}\usecolortheme{default}
#+COLUMNS: %40ITEM %10BEAMER_env(Env) %10BEAMER_envargs(Env Args)
%4BEAMER_col(Col) %8BEAMER_extra(Extra)

* Frame 1
** This point should appear first
:PROPERTIES:
:BEAMER_envargs: \pause
:END:

** And this point should be second
:PROPERTIES:
:BEAMER_envargs: \pause
:END:

I guess I dont really understand how this is supposed to work, so a
minimal example would be much appreciated!

Christian

--
  Christian Wittern

* Re: org-beamer: How to get items appear sequentially rather than all at once
@ 2010-03-24  0:01     ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2010-03-24  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Christian,

Christian Wittern <cwittern@gmail.com> writes:

> On 2010-03-24 1:08, Thomas S. Dye wrote:
>>

>> Aloha Christian,
>>
>> Please see the beamer documentation for
>> \beamerdefaultoverlayspecification.  You can likely set it to yield
>> the behavior you're after.
>>
> Thomas,
> Hmm, there does not seem to be such a thing as
> \beamerdefaultoverlayspecification.  The only place where default
> overlays are mentioned is in connection with BEAMER_envargs.  But when
> I try the following, I do not get the expected results:

Try the following:

> #+STARTUP: beamer
> #+LaTeX_CLASS: beamer
> #+LaTeX_CLASS_OPTIONS: [presentation]
> #+BEAMER_FRAME_LEVEL: 1
> #+BEAMER_HEADER_EXTRA: \usetheme{default}\usecolortheme{default}
> #+COLUMNS: %40ITEM %10BEAMER_env(Env) %10BEAMER_envargs(Env Args)
> %4BEAMER_col(Col) %8BEAMER_extra(Extra)
>
> * Frame 1
> :PROPERTIES:
> :BEAMER_envargs: [<+->]
> :END:
> ** This point should appear first
> ** And this point should be second

You need to set the default overlay argument on the frame (i.e., [<+-]).
This instructs LaTeX to create slides that reveal the items in the frame
one by one.

If you want to enable this behavior for all slides, you can place the
following line before the first heading:

#+beamer: \beamerdefaultoverlayspecification{<+->}

See section 9.6.3 of the beamer manual (Action Specifications) for more
details.

Best,
Matt

* Re: org-beamer: How to get items appear sequentially rather than all at once
@ 2010-03-24  5:07       ` Christian Wittern
From: Christian Wittern @ 2010-03-24  5:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Matt,

On 2010-03-24 9:01, Matt Lundin wrote:
> You need to set the default overlay argument on the frame (i.e., [<+-]).
> This instructs LaTeX to create slides that reveal the items in the frame
> one by one.
>
> If you want to enable this behavior for all slides, you can place the
> following line before the first heading:
>
> #+beamer: \beamerdefaultoverlayspecification{<+->}

Thanks for your explanation.  I got it now!

> See section 9.6.3 of the beamer manual (Action Specifications) for more
> details.

Sorry, I did not realize there was a separate manual for beamer.  I will
go hunting now!

All the best,

Christian

* Re: Re: org-beamer: How to get items appear sequentially rather than all at once
@ 2010-03-24  9:47         ` Darlan Cavalcante Moreira
From: Darlan Cavalcante Moreira @ 2010-03-24  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

In Beamer, you may specify the overlay for each item as below
\begin{itemize}
  \item <+->  appear from start (could be <1->, but <+-> is better in case we change item order)
  \item <2>   only showed in the second "page of the slide"
  \item <3-4> showed in pages 3 and 4
  \item <4->  showed from slide 4
  \item       always showed
  \item <5->  showed from slide 5
\end{itemize}

We can do the samething in org-mode as below
 - <+->  appear from start (could be <1->, but <+-> is better in case we change item order)
 - <2>   only showed in the second "page of the slide"
 - <3-4> showed in pages 3 and 4
 - <4->  showed from slide 4
 - always showed
 - <5-> showed from slide 5

Of course that if you just want the items to appear sequentially it is easy
to use the default overlay specification, but it's nice to know that we
still have all the flexibility from beamer in org-mode.

- Darlan