emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Using shift and arrow keys to select lines in Aquamacs (in org-mode)
@ 2009-11-10 19:14 Saptarshi Guha
From: Saptarshi Guha @ 2009-11-10 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,
I know shift and arrow keys are used by org-mode. But is there a way
to remap them to selecting the line(as in Aquamacs text mode)
 (e.g shift+down highlights the current line, shift+up highlights the
previous line etc).

I guess this has been asked before, but I could not find the thread .
I would be grateful if someone could direct me to the solution.

Much thanks
Saptarshi

* Re: Using shift and arrow keys to select lines in Aquamacs (in org-mode)
@ 2009-11-10 21:10 ` J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2009-11-10 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Saptarshi Guha <saptarshi.guha@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
> I know shift and arrow keys are used by org-mode. But is there a way
> to remap them to selecting the line(as in Aquamacs text mode)
>  (e.g shift+down highlights the current line, shift+up highlights the
> previous line etc).
>
> I guess this has been asked before, but I could not find the thread .
> I would be grateful if someone could direct me to the solution.
>
> Much thanks
> Saptarshi

I think that would break a great many things that org does automatically...

* Re: Re: Using shift and arrow keys to select lines in Aquamacs (in org-mode)
@ 2009-11-10 21:17   ` Saptarshi Guha
From: Saptarshi Guha @ 2009-11-10 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J. David Boyd; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

True, however i came across two options that (i think) does the job ,
but does not work for me

(setq org-replace-disputed-keys t)
(setq org-CUA-compatible t)

Are these the correct options to set (loaded from .emacs file)

Regards
Saptarshi

@ 2009-11-10 22:03   ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-11-10 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

david@adboyd.com (J. David Boyd) writes:
> Saptarshi Guha <saptarshi.guha@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>> I know shift and arrow keys are used by org-mode. But is there a way
>> to remap them to selecting the line(as in Aquamacs text mode)
>>  (e.g shift+down highlights the current line, shift+up highlights the
>> previous line etc).

How about get used to Emacs keys for this purpose:

  C-SPACE UP

C-SPACE set's a mark and moving point extends the region.
The big advantage is, that you can use all moving commands Emacs
provides (`M-f', `M-b'...)

Some keys/functions select text directly:

 M-h       - mark-paragraph
 C-x C-p   - mark-page
 M-x mark- TAB  - show all marking commands

Also, if you do not use org-mouse, you could use the left and right
mouse button - optionally holding down the ALT key for a secondary
selection.

Pressing the middle button inserts the selection, with ALT the secondary
one.

While selecting, you can extend and narrow the selection in either
direction be pressing the right button repeatedly.

Right double-click cuts.

Some of this depends on your setting of the variable
`transient-mark-mode', which you can customize.

  Sebastian

* Re: Re: Using shift and arrow keys to select lines in Aquamacs (in org-mode)
@ 2009-11-10 22:11     ` Saptarshi Guha
From: Saptarshi Guha @ 2009-11-10 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Rose; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thank you Sebastian. The best way to emacs happiness is to use its keys.
These shortcuts are extremely useful - I'll adopt them.

Regards
Saptarshi

@ 2009-11-10 22:41       ` Darlan Cavalcante Moreira
From: Darlan Cavalcante Moreira @ 2009-11-10 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sguha; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

One shortcut really nice when selecting some text is C-x C-x. It will
change the cursor from one side of the selection to the other one.

- Darlan

@ 2009-11-11  5:14 ` PT
From: PT @ 2009-11-11  5:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Saptarshi Guha <saptarshi.guha <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
> I know shift and arrow keys are used by org-mode. But is there a way
> to remap them to selecting the line(as in Aquamacs text mode)
>  (e.g shift+down highlights the current line, shift+up highlights the
> previous line etc).

I rebound the keys in my org-mode hook:

(add-hook 'org-mode-hook 'my-org-mode-stuff)

(defun my-org-mode-stuff ()
  (local-set-key (kbd "C-S-<right>") 'forward-word-mark)
  (local-set-key (kbd "C-S-<left>") 'backward-word-mark)
  (local-set-key (kbd "S-<right>") 'forward-char-mark)
  (local-set-key (kbd "S-<left>") 'backward-char-mark)
  (local-set-key (kbd "S-<up>") 'previous-line-mark)
  (local-set-key (kbd "S-<down>") 'next-line-mark)

* Re: Using shift and arrow keys to select lines in Aquamacs (in org-mode)
@ 2009-11-11 14:05   ` J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2009-11-11 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

PT <spamfilteraccount@gmail.com> writes:

> Saptarshi Guha <saptarshi.guha <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

>> Hello,
>> I know shift and arrow keys are used by org-mode. But is there a way
>> to remap them to selecting the line(as in Aquamacs text mode)
>>  (e.g shift+down highlights the current line, shift+up highlights the
>> previous line etc).
>>

> I rebound the keys in my org-mode hook:
>

> (add-hook 'org-mode-hook 'my-org-mode-stuff)
>
> (defun my-org-mode-stuff ()
>   (local-set-key (kbd "C-S-<right>") 'forward-word-mark)
>   (local-set-key (kbd "C-S-<left>") 'backward-word-mark)
>   (local-set-key (kbd "S-<right>") 'forward-char-mark)
>   (local-set-key (kbd "S-<left>") 'backward-char-mark)
>   (local-set-key (kbd "S-<up>") 'previous-line-mark)
>   (local-set-key (kbd "S-<down>") 'next-line-mark)

But that breaks S-<up> modifying the priority on a task, as well as
other built-in org functionality...

* Re: Using shift and arrow keys to select lines in Aquamacs (in org-mode)
@ 2009-11-11 14:34     ` PT
From: PT @ 2009-11-11 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

J. David Boyd <david <at> adboyd.com> writes:

> But that breaks S-<up> modifying the priority on a task, as well as
> other built-in org functionality...

No, it doesn't break it, because there are other builtin keys for
setting task priority (C-c ,).

For me text selection is a much more frequent task than changing priorities,
so it makes more sense to assign the more convenient binding to selection
and use the less convenient one for the less frequent operation.