emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Problem with pushing to webdav server [6.35g]
@ 2010-05-31 11:45 Dietmar Winkler
From: Dietmar Winkler @ 2010-05-31 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

When trying to push to a webdav server all I got was

 Process *tramp/scp davs* exited abnormally with code 255

Investigating further showed that tramp seems to not call the correct
org-mobile-directory

e.g.,  '(org-mobile-directory "/davs:123456@mediacenter.gmx.net")

but actually

Tramp: Sending command `ssh davs   -q -e none && exit || exit'

is used with no adress.

See also my configuration below
Dietmar

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.0)
 of 2010-03-29 on rothera, modified by Debian
Package: Org-mode version 6.35g

current state:
==============
(setq
 org-export-latex-after-initial-vars-hook '(org-beamer-after-initial-vars)
 org-agenda-files '("~/ORGA/GTD/org/mygtd.org"
"~/ORGA/GTD/org/gtdsample.org")
 org-export-latex-default-packages-alist '(("AUTO" "inputenc") ("T1"
"fontenc") ("" "fixltx2e") ("" "graphicx") ("" "longtable")
					   ("" "float") ("" "wrapfig") ("" "soul") ("" "t1enc") (""
"textcomp") ("" "marvosym")
					   ("" "wasysym") ("" "latexsym") ("" "amssymb") ("" "hyperref")
"\\tolerance=1000")
 org-after-todo-state-change-hook '(org-clock-out-if-current)
 org-export-latex-format-toc-function 'org-export-latex-format-toc-default
 org-export-preprocess-hook '(org-export-blocks-preprocess)
 org-mobile-inbox-for-pull "~/ORGA/GTD/org/from-mobile.org"
 org-tab-first-hook '(org-hide-block-toggle-maybe)
 org-src-mode-hook '(org-src-mode-configure-edit-buffer)
 org-confirm-shell-link-function 'yes-or-no-p
 org-export-first-hook '(org-beamer-initialize-open-trackers)
 org-agenda-before-write-hook '(org-agenda-add-entry-text)
 org-directory "~/ORGA/GTD/org"
 org-cycle-hook '(org-cycle-hide-archived-subtrees
org-cycle-hide-drawers org-cycle-show-empty-lines
		  org-optimize-window-after-visibility-change)
 org-export-preprocess-before-normalizing-links-hook
'(org-remove-file-link-modifiers)
 org-mode-hook '(#[nil "\300\301\302\303\304$\207" [org-add-hook
change-major-mode-hook org-show-block-all append local] 5])
 org-confirm-elisp-link-function 'yes-or-no-p
 org-occur-hook '(org-first-headline-recenter)
 org-mobile-directory "/davs:123456@mediacenter.gmx.net"
 org-export-preprocess-before-selecting-backend-code-hook
'(org-beamer-select-beamer-code)
 org-export-latex-final-hook '(org-beamer-amend-header
org-beamer-fix-toc org-beamer-auto-fragile-frames
			       org-beamer-place-default-actions-for-lists)
 )

* Re: Problem with pushing to webdav server [6.35g]
@ 2010-06-03  8:17 ` Dietmar Winkler
From: Dietmar Winkler @ 2010-06-03  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dietmar Winkler <dietmarw <at> gmx.de> writes:
> Investigating further showed that tramp seems to not call the correct
> org-mobile-directory
>
> e.g.,  '(org-mobile-directory "/davs:123456 <at> mediacenter.gmx.net")
>
> but actually
>
> Tramp: Sending command `ssh davs   -q -e none && exit || exit'

OK I found the error myself

- '(org-mobile-directory "/davs:123456 <at> mediacenter.gmx.net")
+ '(org-mobile-directory "/davs:123456 <at> mediacenter.gmx.net:/")

Thing is that tramp will refuse to connect to that location because it's a
remote host and dav(s) only works on local hosts. But I thought that tramp makes
use of gvfs in the background. But apparently it doesn't. I'm using Emacs 23.1.1
which includes tramp so what am I missing to connect to a dav(s) server via gvfs?

/Dietmar/

* Re: Re: Problem with pushing to webdav server [6.35g]
@ 2010-06-03  8:26   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-06-03  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dietmar Winkler; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Dietmar,

this may be worth a FAQ entry.  Can I convince you to write one.  I am
sure there are other webdav issues that could be added to this.

The FAQ has now a new section about MobileOrg...

- Carsten

On Jun 3, 2010, at 10:17 AM, Dietmar Winkler wrote:

> Dietmar Winkler <dietmarw <at> gmx.de> writes:
>> Investigating further showed that tramp seems to not call the correct
>> org-mobile-directory
>>
>> e.g.,  '(org-mobile-directory "/davs:123456 <at>
>> mediacenter.gmx.net")
>>
>> but actually
>>
>> Tramp: Sending command `ssh davs   -q -e none && exit || exit'
>
> OK I found the error myself
>
> - '(org-mobile-directory "/davs:123456 <at> mediacenter.gmx.net")
> + '(org-mobile-directory "/davs:123456 <at> mediacenter.gmx.net:/")
>
> Thing is that tramp will refuse to connect to that location because
> it's a
> remote host and dav(s) only works on local hosts. But I thought that
> tramp makes
> use of gvfs in the background. But apparently it doesn't. I'm using
> Emacs 23.1.1
> which includes tramp so what am I missing to connect to a dav(s)
> server via gvfs?
>
> /Dietmar/

- Carsten

* Re: Re: Problem with pushing to webdav server [6.35g]
@ 2010-06-03  8:44     ` Dietmar Winkler
From: Dietmar Winkler @ 2010-06-03  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Carsten,

I would if I would know the answer to my problem ;). Once I'm figuring
out how to get tramp to connect to webdav resources I'm more than happy
to write about it.

BTW. the documentation is a bit misleading here :
----8<-----
If Emacs can directly write to the WebDAV directory1 accessed by
MobileOrg, just point to this directory using the variable
org-mobile-directory. Using the tramp  method, org-mobile-directory may
point to a remote directory accessible through, for example, ssh/scp:

     (setq org-mobile-directory "/scpc:user@remote.host:org/webdav/")
----8<-----

This sounds almost like you can connect to webdav by using the example
given. But that only applies to a ssh+scp connection (!= webdav) (I
wonder how would one get to connect MobileOrg App to that since (afaik)
that one can currently only connect to webdav shares.

@ 2010-06-03 12:50       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-06-03 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dietmar Winkler; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jun 3, 2010, at 10:44 AM, Dietmar Winkler wrote:

> Carsten,
>
> I would if I would know the answer to my problem ;). Once I'm figuring
> out how to get tramp to connect to webdav resources I'm more than
> happy
> to write about it.
>
> BTW. the documentation is a bit misleading here :
> ----8<-----
> If Emacs can directly write to the WebDAV directory1 accessed by
> MobileOrg, just point to this directory using the variable
> org-mobile-directory. Using the tramp  method, org-mobile-directory
> may
> point to a remote directory accessible through, for example, ssh/scp:
>
>     (setq org-mobile-directory "/scpc:user@remote.host:org/webdav/")
> ----8<-----
>
> This sounds almost like you can connect to webdav by using the example
> given. But that only applies to a ssh+scp connection (!= webdav) (I
> wonder how would one get to connect MobileOrg App to that since
> (afaik)
> that one can currently only connect to webdav shares.

The idea here is that you might be able to connect to the server in
two different ways, webdav and scp.  Emacs can then use scp, so that
you do not have to mount the server on your computer.  MobileOrg will
then use webdav.

Note that there is a version of MobileOrg coming up with Dropbox
support.  I have tested it already - it makes the entire world of pain
with webdavs go away... :)

> /Dietmar/

- Carsten

* Re: Re: Problem with pushing to webdav server [6.35g]
@ 2010-06-03 13:00         ` Dietmar Winkler
From: Dietmar Winkler @ 2010-06-03 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Den 03. juni 2010 14:50, skrev Carsten Dominik:
> The idea here is that you might be able to connect to the server in two
> different ways, webdav and scp.  Emacs can then use scp, so that you do
> not have to mount the server on your computer.  MobileOrg will then use
> webdav.

Ah I see!

> Note that there is a version of MobileOrg coming up with Dropbox
> support.  I have tested it already - it makes the entire world of pain
> with webdavs go away... :)

And what a pain it is, I've now trying for hours to get emcas call
tramp-gvfs but to no avail.

Unfortunately (well normally fortunately) I'm on Android and local
Storage is not a high priority item on the list of Matthew
(understandable given its early dev stage of that app).

Back to the FAQ, what exatly did you think I could provide ... since
WebDav seems to be a (unsolved) tramp-gvfs issue I wouldn't know what
helpful information I could write.

@ 2010-06-04 11:26           ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-06-04 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dietmar Winkler; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jun 3, 2010, at 3:00 PM, Dietmar Winkler wrote:

> Den 03. juni 2010 14:50, skrev Carsten Dominik:
>> The idea here is that you might be able to connect to the server in
>> two
>> different ways, webdav and scp.  Emacs can then use scp, so that
>> you do
>> not have to mount the server on your computer.  MobileOrg will then
>> use
>> webdav.
>
> Ah I see!
>
>> Note that there is a version of MobileOrg coming up with Dropbox
>> support.  I have tested it already - it makes the entire world of
>> pain
>> with webdavs go away... :)
>
> And what a pain it is, I've now trying for hours to get emcas call
> tramp-gvfs but to no avail.
>
> Unfortunately (well normally fortunately) I'm on Android and local
> Storage is not a high priority item on the list of Matthew
> (understandable given its early dev stage of that app).
>
> Back to the FAQ, what exatly did you think I could provide ... since
> WebDav seems to be a (unsolved) tramp-gvfs issue I wouldn't know what
> helpful information I could write.

I was only reading your message quickly and had the impression that
you had figured out that the tramp path must have a specific syntax to
work correctly, maybe with a "/" at the end?  Not sure - as I said, this
was only a brief impression.  Information like this seemed useful for
the general public... :)

So feel free to ignore my request if there is noting there
that would make sense.

- Carsten