emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Orgmode manual - available in *.org / emacs format?
@ 2010-01-24 17:48 Erwin Panen
From: Erwin Panen @ 2010-01-24 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick question:
I'm looking to improve my emacs specifically my orgmode skills.
I thought I read somewhere the orgmode manual is included with emacs /
org or downloadable as org document?

It seems contained in \home\emacs-23.1\info\info
However when I open this file with file->open file
the outlook is totally different than opening it via
menu-> Org-> Documentation-> Info Documentation
Is the web / html version of the manual made by publishing Info
Documentation? Can someone confirm?

I had a look at Publishing and the 2 contained sample configurations.
Will following these examples give the left-hand scrollable TOC like
it's visible on the http://orgmode.org/manual page?

If you have any other links or tutorials covering publishing / LateX,
much obliged.

Thanks a lot!

Erwin

* Re: Orgmode manual - available in *.org / emacs format?
@ 2010-01-25  9:58 ` Giovanni Ridolfi
From: Giovanni Ridolfi @ 2010-01-25  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: erwinpanen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Erwin Panen <erwinpanen@fastmail.fm> writes:

Hi, Erwin

> I thought I read somewhere the orgmode manual is included with emacs /
> org or downloadable as org document?

you may look at the org.texi file, in the doc directory of org-V.ersion,
(zip? tgz?) and convert it to the format you want.
man texinfo
I believe in the doc directory the manual is already in pdf.

> It seems contained in \home\emacs-23.1\info\info
> However when I open this file with file->open file
> the outlook is totally different than opening it via
> menu-> Org-> Documentation-> Info Documentation
yes because the "org" file is in info format
and Emacs does "convert" it to a browsable
format (is like viewing a html source file  or displaying
it in a browser, pretty different, don't you think? ;-)

> Is the web / html version of the manual made by publishing Info
> Documentation? Can someone confirm?
of course.

> I had a look at Publishing and the 2 contained sample configurations.
> Will following these examples give the left-hand scrollable TOC like
> it's visible on the http://orgmode.org/manual page?
I think it depends on the css. Have a look on it ;-)

> If you have any other links or tutorials covering publishing / LateX,
the LaTeX tutorial is missing, but the manual seems pretty complete
to me
cheers
Giovanni

* Re: Orgmode manual - available in *.org / emacs format?
@ 2010-01-25 10:27   ` Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2010-01-25 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giovanni Ridolfi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, erwinpanen

>> I had a look at Publishing and the 2 contained sample configurations.
>> Will following these examples give the left-hand scrollable TOC like
>> it's visible on the http://orgmode.org/manual page?
> I think it depends on the css. Have a look on it ;-)

If you didn't know, you can easily get the css by doing View source" in
your browser then searching for the style sheet. In org's case this is
http://orgmode.org/org.css. You can open this in a browser window and
then save it somewhere.

This is a very useful technique for copying other people's web site
styling:)

Ian.