emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Narrow to subtree and widen again - missing documentation
@ 2008-06-04 14:38 Harri Kiiskinen
From: Harri Kiiskinen @ 2008-06-04 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello all,

I just spent some time trying to find out, how to get back to the whole
buffer after having narrowed in to a subtree ('org-narrow-to-subtree',
C-x n s). I could not find any hints in the documentation as to how to
return to the whole buffer. A search of the mailing list hinted, that
the right word to use in this context might be "widen", and then I found
the corresponding function 'widen' with the key C-x n w. This does not
appear anywhere in the documentation (search through the one-page online
html does not find the word "widen" at all), nor on the reference card,
where a logical place for it would be after the narrow buffer -command
in "Structure Editing".
	I realise that this is not an Org-function, but a part of the Emacs
internals (I guess), but the documentation might still point to it.

But how do I clean the buffer after sparse tree by criteria -selection (
C-c / )?

Thanks for a wonderful productivity tool, though.

Harri K.

PS. Please include me in the replies, as I'm not a member of the list.

* Re: Narrow to subtree and widen again - missing documentation
@ 2008-06-12 12:15 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-06-12 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harri Kiiskinen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jun 4, 2008, at 4:38 PM, Harri Kiiskinen wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I just spent some time trying to find out, how to get back to the
> whole buffer after having narrowed in to a subtree ('org-narrow-to-
> subtree', C-x n s). I could not find any hints in the documentation
> as to how to return to the whole buffer. A search of the mailing
> list hinted, that the right word to use in this context might be
> "widen", and then I found the corresponding function 'widen' with
> the key C-x n w. This does not appear anywhere in the documentation
> (search through the one-page online html does not find the word
> "widen" at all), nor on the reference card, where a logical place
> for it would be after the narrow buffer -command in "Structure
> Editing".
>
> 	I realise that this is not an Org-function, but a part of the Emacs
> internals (I guess), but the documentation might still point to it.

I have added tis piece of info to the manual and to the reference
card.  Thanks for your feedback.

> But how do I clean the buffer after sparse tree by criteria -
> selection ( C-c / )?

What do you mean by "clean".

You can use `C-c C-a' to show everything, or S-TAB once or several
times to cycle through global visibility states.

HTH

- Carsten

* Re: Narrow to subtree and widen again - missing documentation
@ 2008-06-12 12:31   ` Harri Kiiskinen
From: Harri Kiiskinen @ 2008-06-12 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik wrote:

>> But how do I clean the buffer after sparse tree by criteria -selection
>> ( C-c / )?
>

> What do you mean by "clean".
>
> You can use `C-c C-a' to show everything, or S-TAB once or several times
> to cycle through global visibility states.

Sorry, I meant (C-c \), which gives a TAG query. If I select a tag, its
entry is coloured, if I select no tags, all entries are coloured, but
how to remove the selection/colouring altogether was the problem. I did
discover, that (C-c / t RET) removes all the colouring, but only after
receiving you response. 'C-c C-a' and S-TAB just change the views, but
the selected entries still stay coloured.
	Hope I managed to express the problem.

Harri K.

* Re: Narrow to subtree and widen again - missing documentation
@ 2008-06-12 14:17     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-06-12 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harri Kiiskinen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jun 12, 2008, at 2:31 PM, Harri Kiiskinen wrote:

> Carsten Dominik wrote:
>
>>> But how do I clean the buffer after sparse tree by criteria -
>>> selection ( C-c / )?
>> What do you mean by "clean".
>> You can use `C-c C-a' to show everything, or S-TAB once or several
>> times to cycle through global visibility states.
>
> Sorry, I meant (C-c \), which gives a TAG query. If I select a tag,
> its entry is coloured, if I select no tags, all entries are
> coloured, but how to remove the selection/colouring altogether was
> the problem. I did discover, that (C-c / t RET) removes all the
> colouring, but only after receiving you response. 'C-c C-a' and S-
> TAB just change the views, but the selected entries still stay
> coloured.
> 	Hope I managed to express the problem.

C-c C-c will get rid of those highlights.

Also, when the option org-remove-highlights-with-change it t (the
default), and editing in the buffer will make the highlights disappear
as well.

HTH

- Carsten