emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Start the clock working weird
@ 2007-11-26 20:19 Rodrigo Amestica
From: Rodrigo Amestica @ 2007-11-26 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I have a document that looks like this:

* doc title
** TODO to be done first
** TODO to be done second

I move the cursor then to 'first' and do C-c C-x C-i, I then get the following:

* doc title
** TODO to be done first
    CLOCK: [2007-11-26 Mon 15:13]
** TODO to be done second

Now I move to 'second' and do C-c C-x C-i, and what I get is the following:

* doc title
** TODO to be done first
    CLOCK: [2007-11-26 Mon 15:16]--[2007-11-26 Mon 15:16] =>  0:00
** TODO to be done second
    CLOCK: [2007-11-26 Mon 15:16]

I cannot understand why is that the clock is stopped for the first item.

I'm trying this on emacs 23 (perhaps that's the problem), any body out there on
emacs 23 as well?

thanks,
  Rodrigo

* Re: Start the clock working weird
@ 2007-11-26 23:19 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2007-11-26 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Rodrigo Amestica <ramestic@nrao.edu> writes:

> I cannot understand why is that the clock is stopped for the first item.

You normally only clock a single task at a time.  Since you work on Task
A and then clock in Task B, Task A stops.

If you want to accumulate clocked time you need to have a parent task to
show the total time

* Parent Task
** Task One
** Task Two

If you clock time on the subtasks C-c C-x C-d will show the total time
spent on each task and sum the subtask times to the parent task.

-Bernt

* Re: Start the clock working weird
@ 2007-11-27  4:56 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-11-27  4:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rodrigo Amestica; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 11/26/07, Rodrigo Amestica <ramestic@nrao.edu> wrote:
> I cannot understand why is that the clock is stopped for the first item.

Because only very few people can work on two things at the same time.
Can you?  I can't.

- Carsten

* Re: Start the clock working weird
@ 2007-11-27  5:31   ` Rodrigo Amestica
From: Rodrigo Amestica @ 2007-11-27  5:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

i can't either, that's for machines.

Thanks for the replies, it just happens that my understanding of the clock was
flawed. This is just my second day trying org-mode out. I promise that from now
on I will read the manual more closely.

It's genial to witness a so active emacs-mode forum (I wish something like this
would happen to pcl-cvs :-(

Rodrigo