emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Turning on column view marks buffer "modified"
@ 2007-10-16 14:26 Wanrong Lin
From: Wanrong Lin @ 2007-10-16 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode list

If I turn on column view for the whole buffer by pressing "C-c C-x C-c"
at the top of the buffer (blank area), the buffer would be marked
"modified". But if I do it just on a subtree, everything is normal. Does
anybody see the same thing? thanks.

Wanrong

* Re: Turning on column view marks buffer "modified"
@ 2007-10-16 15:44 ` Wanrong Lin
From: Wanrong Lin @ 2007-10-16 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode list

I just found out things are even stranger:

I have a level 1 heading "* HR". Every time the column view is turned
on, an extra space is added to the end of that heading, which is why the
buffer is marked "modified". But it only happens on that "HR" heading.
What is so special about the word "HR" (stands for "Human Resources" for
me)????????

You can try this out by just pasting the following two lines into a
temporary org file:

* HR
*** Holidays

Wanrong

@ 2007-10-16 15:56   ` Wanrong Lin
From: Wanrong Lin @ 2007-10-16 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode list

More observations:

 It is not that the word "HR" is so special. Actually, as long as there
is any level 1 heading with two capital letters only, like "AB" "CD"
"HK" or whatever, this strange behavior happens. Does anyone has a clue
about this? Thank you.

Wanrong

Wanrong Lin wrote:

> I just found out things are even stranger:
>
> I have a level 1 heading "* HR". Every time the column view is turned
> on, an extra space is added to the end of that heading, which is why
> the buffer is marked "modified". But it only happens on that "HR"
> heading. What is so special about the word "HR" (stands for "Human
> Resources" for me)????????
>
> You can try this out by just pasting the following two lines into a
> temporary org file:
>
> * HR
> *** Holidays
>
> Wanrong
>
> Wanrong Lin wrote:
>>
>> If I turn on column view for the whole buffer by pressing "C-c C-x
>> C-c" at the top of the buffer (blank area), the buffer would be
>> marked "modified". But if I do it just on a subtree, everything is
>> normal. Does anybody see the same thing? thanks.
>>
>> Wanrong

* Re: Re: Turning on column view marks buffer "modified"
@ 2007-10-16 18:18   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-10-16 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wanrong Lin; +Cc: org-mode list

On Oct 16, 2007, at 17:44, Wanrong Lin wrote:

> I just found out things are even stranger:
>
> I have a level 1 heading "* HR". Every time the column view is turned
> on, an extra space is added to the end of that heading, which is why
> the buffer is marked "modified". But it only happens on that "HR"
> heading. What is so special about the word "HR" (stands for "Human
> Resources" for me)????????

The reason ist that your headline is so short.  Column view internal
need on character in the headline for each column to display.
Therefore, it adds space characters if you have more columns than
characters.  Don't really know how to change this - I guess I could
avoid marking the buffer marked just because of this.

- Carsten

* Re: Re: Turning on column view marks buffer "modified"
@ 2007-10-16 18:33     ` Wanrong Lin
From: Wanrong Lin @ 2007-10-16 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: org-mode list

Carsten Dominik wrote:

> On Oct 16, 2007, at 17:44, Wanrong Lin wrote:
>

>> I just found out things are even stranger:
>>
>> I have a level 1 heading "* HR". Every time the column view is turned
>> on, an extra space is added to the end of that heading, which is why
>> the buffer is marked "modified". But it only happens on that "HR"
>> heading. What is so special about the word "HR" (stands for "Human
>> Resources" for me)????????
>
> The reason ist that your headline is so short.  Column view internal
> need on character in the headline for each column to display.
> Therefore, it adds space characters if you have more columns than
> characters.  Don't really know how to change this - I guess I could
> avoid marking the buffer marked just because of this.
>
> - Carsten

That will be nice if you can add that work-around. I am compelled to do
an "undo" when I see a buffer is marked "modified" for no good reason
because I am afraid of inserting characters accidentally since we all
press those short-cut keys so fast. One thing I hate about Microsoft
word is when you close a word file, even if you did not do anything to
it, it often asks you whether you want to save your changes.

Thank you.

Wanrong